Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: $290,000 Speeding Fine !  (Read 4431 times)

knuck45

• Junior CVO Member
  • Triple Red SERG
Re: $290,000 Speeding Fine !
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 07:33:35 AM »

sounds like we live in an ObamaNation. 
SERG Sgt.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »

It wasnt me! Honest! :apple:

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »

Maybe that's why we get points deducted. You lose enough points you lose your ability to drive. 
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »

Conviently glossing over my entire point won't change the facts.  This isn't about folks with more money being able to have more toys, or better heating systems in their homes, or any of that other BS.  It's about making laws that impact all violators equally Where is that written? , and charging the same $100 fine to a poor person and a wealthy person does not result in equal impact or incentive to obey the law.  Of course, I assume you guys would also prefer to maintain the status quo when we talk about more serious crimes.  Rich guys can afford Johnny Cochran and a 20 lawyer team to get them off even when they are obviously guilty, but the poor guy gets a rookie straight out of law school with no money for investigators, jury experts, etc., and winds up going to prison even if innocent (just read the news, plenty of poor folks are being proved innocent after spending decades in prison for crimes they didn't commit).

Life sure is tough for rich folks.  All I hear is bitching about how the poor don't have to pay taxes, they get too many government benefits, they just lay around and mooch off the rich, etc.   Here's my suggestion for all the well-to-do folks who think the poor have it so good: give away all your worldly possessions and become one of them.  After a year or so, come back and give us a report on how that's working out for you.  Or, perhaps you would rather just be grateful for what you have and quit trying to blame the less fortunate for your unhappiness.   :nixweiss:

JMHO  -  Jerry

It all comes down to defining equal justice.

Most people would describe equal due th fact the "fine" would be the same for everyone regardless of stature or means

I would bet that system could not pass the smell test on constitionality.

That would be a pretty slippery slope to walk and promotes class warfare.

Why stop there (with fines), maybe a case could be made that you should do less jail time because you grew up in a bad side of town?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:40:09 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »

Life sure is tough for rich folks.  All I hear is bitching about how the poor don't have to pay taxes, they get too many government benefits, they just lay around and mooch off the rich, etc.   Here's my suggestion for all the well-to-do folks who think the poor have it so good: give away all your worldly possessions and become one of them.  After a year or so, come back and give us a report on how that's working out for you.  Or, perhaps you would rather just be grateful for what you have and quit trying to blame the less fortunate for your unhappiness.   

JMHO  -  Jerry

What's the definition of rich folks or all the well-to-do folks?  Some people in this country grow up without possessions due to circumstances out of their control and then work honestly within their means to have successes in life.  Some become well-to-do and others become rich. 

I think that from reading about how many forum members are living their lives by visiting America on the top sides of their bikes they seem to be well-to-do. 

This forum seems to be designed around the concept of what members have in common and what they can share with each other. I'm hoping to get/give more positive info from/to others with more/less experiences to make my riding better regardless of their financial status.

BUT....If you're rich and can help me get set up so I can afford to pay a $290,000 fine (I now have a new dream) please send an EM.
Semper Fi

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »

That yellow type just blinded me.  (who am I kidding, with glaucoma & cataracs, I was already pretty much there).  har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 05:39:54 AM »

SORRY ABOUT THE YELLOW PRINT!!!!
Afterwards I knew that was a backfire, a sputter, and a pop.  I'm still warming up on these tools. I can read it if I put on my specs and move in to about two inches from the screen.  Lets retry in blue

Life sure is tough for rich folks.  All I hear is bitching about how the poor don't have to pay taxes, they get too many government benefits, they just lay around and mooch off the rich, etc.   Here's my suggestion for all the well-to-do folks who think the poor have it so good: give away all your worldly possessions and become one of them.  After a year or so, come back and give us a report on how that's working out for you.  Or, perhaps you would rather just be grateful for what you have and quit trying to blame the less fortunate for your unhappiness.   

JMHO  -  Jerry

What's the definition of rich folks or all the well-to-do folks?  Some people in this country grow up without possessions due to circumstances out of their control and then work honestly within their means to have successes in life.  Some become well-to-do and others become rich. 

I think that from reading about how many forum members are living their lives by visiting America on the top sides of their bikes they seem to be well-to-do. 

This forum seems to be designed around the concept of what members have in common and what they can share with each other. I'm hoping to get/give more positive info from/to others with more/less experiences to make my riding better regardless of their financial status.

BUT....If you're rich and can help me get set up so I can afford to pay a $290,000 fine (I now have a new dream) please send an EM.
Semper Fi

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »

What's the definition of rich folks or all the well-to-do folks? 

I've found, generally, that that definition is, if you make more money then I do, you're well-to-do.  If you make a lot more then I do you're rich.

Jimmy Carter said one thing in his entire presidency that I agreed with.  "Life isn't fair".  I agree with Jerry that a $250 fine doesn't slow down a "rich" driver.  But there are laws that do.  If they get pulled over for more then 30 over the speed limit in PA they loose their license.  If you get caught without a license too many time you do time.  Is it equitable in the long run?  I don't know.  But if we start down the "each according to his need, each according to his ability to pay" road we're in real trouble.

To paraphrase Neil Pert (From memory... Didn't feel like googling the exact lyic):  The maples want more sunlight but the oaks ignore their pleas.  So they passed the motor law and now they all get equal hatchet, axe and saw.

Ride Safe,
JC

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »

Pay to play.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »

Anyone remember the phrase "Punishment should fit the crime"?

If that truly is the case then it should be a matter of society deciding how heinous a particular act is and then the fine/imprisonment matches the seriousness of the offense, not based on the status of the offender.

To me it would be like going into a Harley dealer and buying a bike based on your credit score or assets. If you are lower or middle class you pay X amount but if you are more financially well off you pay extra.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 06:31:08 AM »

Hmmm, so this story finally has found it's way over the pond  ::)

Will you please remember this is a fairy tale from a jurisdiction wich is - in many if not all ways - entirely different to yours.

This is Roman Law - and as it's so nicely put somewhere: "if I have to explain, you will not understand"  :D

Fact is: this was an evident case of excessive punishment - if it's not an urban legend at all.

It has been widely discussed in the european law-societies and everybodys consent was: this should and will never survive appeal - if it's for real at all.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »

I've found, generally, that that definition is, if you make more money then I do, you're well-to-do.  If you make a lot more then I do you're rich.

What JC said...  Being retired, maybe they would pay me to speed.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

rottenroger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »

Here's my take on the matter, the law should apply equally to all, no matter your
financial situation.

I wrote a big rant and just erased it. So here's my small rant.

If you want something in life get off your a** and work for it. Just
because your born in the United States does not entitle you to
anything other than the right to get off your a** and work so you can
pursue happiness.

I'm not rich, not even close,and I'm not interested in being subsidized
by the rich guy down the street.  If he earned his money legally, he's
entitled to it and government should not be trying to redistribute his
wealth to some slacker that wants a free ride.

If you feel guilty for having more than others you can give until it hurts,
but I will keep mine thank you very much.

:soapbox:
Code:

SE A/C
Rush Slip-on mufflers  2.25 Baffles
SERT
Chrome Head Bolt Bridge Cover
Ironside Passenger Floor boards
Flush Mount Gas Cap and Gauge
Standard Height Sissy Bar with Rack and 105 Annie Back Rest
Auxilary Passing Lamps
Clearview 17" light gray recurve Shield
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.