Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: rain gear  (Read 4655 times)

bikerdoc

• OH

rain gear
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »

Any suggestions on a good rain gear? Has to be light, compact, breathable and effective.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
Re: rain gear
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:41:23 PM »

I know it's not "Harley Gear", but the best rain gear in the world is Helly Hanson.  Made for sailing gear, you'll see it on TV if you watch Deadliest Catch too.  Nothing in the world compares to it.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:05:46 PM »

Any suggestions on a good rain gear? Has to be light, compact, breathable and effective.

FrogTogs.  My personal preference tho is Aerostitch Darien pants and Tourmaster rain jacket.  On a long trip, I wear the pants all the time (don't have to pack), and the jacket packs up relatively small.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »

:drink: :drink:

IMHO, the HD goretex is the best.  HD has just came out with FXRG "paclite" rain gear.

If it is anything like the rest of the FXRG gear, it is the very best on a motorcycle.

:drink: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:32 AM »

Appears to be a variety of opinions regarding "best" so I would just add another quality that I think is essential.  Reflective, given when you wear it, your always in low vis conditions.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »

Motorcycle Consumer News (the Consumer Reports of the motorcycle industry) tests, amongst other things, rainsuits every few years.  Twice in a row, the Tour Master Elite II two piece has came out on top and...........it's also one of the more affordable rain suits. :2vrolijk_21:  I've had mine about 8 years and it's certainly got it's share of use.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Elite-Series-II-2-Piece-Rainsuit-Jacket-p-84_8.html

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Elite-Series-II-2-Piece-Rainsuit-Pants-p-189.html
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bikerdoc

• OH

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »

I know it's not "Harley Gear", but the best rain gear in the world is Helly Hanson.  Made for sailing gear, you'll see it on TV if you watch Deadliest Catch too.  Nothing in the world compares to it.

thank you

bikerdoc

• OH

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »

Motorcycle Consumer News (the Consumer Reports of the motorcycle industry) tests, amongst other things, rainsuits every few years.  Twice in a row, the Tour Master Elite II two piece has came out on top and...........it's also one of the more affordable rain suits. :2vrolijk_21:  I've had mine about 8 years and it's certainly got it's share of use.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Elite-Series-II-2-Piece-Rainsuit-Jacket-p-84_8.html

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Elite-Series-II-2-Piece-Rainsuit-Pants-p-189.html
Any issues with exhaust heat causing a melt down of the pants?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:39:13 AM »

Any issues with exhaust heat causing a melt down of the pants?

Both pants legs have the Nomex (firefighter's suit) on the inside of both legs.  The jacket is vented and breathes, has a mesh lining so that it doesn't stick to you, corduroy lined coller.  MCS test their rain suits with a fire hose........it's water tight and the crotch is designed to be secure and not binding.  Many of the Nor Cal members of this forum have this rain suit.

By the way, Original Swat boots are the most comfortable and lightest weight boots that are waterproof, also.........and zippered so their easy to get on and off.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bikerdoc

• OH

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »

Both pants legs have the Nomex (firefighter's suit) on the inside of both legs.  The jacket is vented and breathes, has a mesh lining so that it doesn't stick to you, corduroy lined coller.  MCS test their rain suits with a fire hose........it's water tight and the crotch is designed to be secure and not binding.  Many of the Nor Cal members of this forum have this rain suit.

By the way, Original Swat boots are the most comfortable and lightest weight boots that are waterproof, also.........and zippered so their easy to get on and off.
Thank you for the info. I am going to local dealer and try them on.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »

The Swat Boots even make the rain gear section.  I'm buying a pair right now :bananarock:
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

Wanna ride

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »

J&P Cycles has a couple decent looking suits that range from $69-$99. Might not be the "best", but it'll keep you dry.

harlee79

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »

I have a set of the overpass model HD ones.  They are nice heavyweight material that doesn't flap in the wind or anything like that.  If I was buying a set today It would deffinately be HI-vis. 

2009 FXSTSSE3 -Screaming Eagle Springer
2003 FLSTSI - Heritage Springer

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 04:39:51 AM »

in summer we take waterproof all-weather gear: jeans and jacket.

In winter when we wear leathers we got these as they pack very small and still give good weather-protection. Last autumn we did 500 m in rain with them, very comfortable.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »

I've found that Gortex is a must. It blocks the wind, stops the rain and is easily packable. In summer on long rides, when you hit a thunderstorm and it's hot, the Gortex breathes to let the heat out so you don't sweat your a__ off.
Go to Cabellas online and take you're pick. I always buy North Face because of the quality. It will last for years and not end up looking like a torn rag after 100 miles. Make sure there is a series of snaps or velcro on the pants by the leg openings. This way you don't need to take your boots off when you put the pants on.
I rode to the 95th in Milwaukee from Calif. 5 days of solid rain and it rained while we were there. Also wore Gortex boots. Dry as the desert the entire time.
Best
dave29
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.