Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Performance Issues  (Read 3129 times)

srqseeg

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Performance Issues
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 10:36:13 AM »

kng103,

Will get it back to the dealer.  Using the Race Tuner with the Rineharts.  Thought it might be a tuning issue and the dealer recommended the octane booster to avoid tuning again.

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Big Daddy,

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 09:45:21 PM »

2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

srqseeg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »

Update:

After using octane booster for three fill ups (performance improved) I filled up and did not use octane booster.  Lugging,  pinging, and overly heated engine condition returned.  Took bike back to dealer and was advised to use Mobil. Tried this for three tanks and still had the problems.  Dealer finally agreed to put it back on the dyno.  They found the "tuning" fell out at 2200-3000 RPM at some point.  

After re-tuning it ran like a champ--better than ever.  Unfortunately, once the engine warmed, the poor performance returned.  Took it back and they put the bike on the dyno and re-set the timing, took the bike for a test ride, put back on the dyno, took for a test drive....a process which continued for 1.5 hours.

Seems like a goofy way to get the timing right, but what the heck do I know?  Anyway, I am enjoying the performance I should have had for the last year.  Very stoked with the performance now.

Thanks to all for your advice!!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 05:34:13 PM »

srqseeg:

Sorry I didn't see this post before. I have had some experience watching Brad Yuill on the dyno at Freedom Cycle and I know the Race Tuner works the same way as the Power Commander he uses. You have a cold start map and a regular map. The cold start map is richer for one, whih is probably why the bike runs OK til it warms up...just like a choke.... For perfromance The idea, of course is to get the bike to run as lean as possible with as much advance as possible without detonation. Leaner is faster. Leaner and more advanced equals detonation however and there's no magic formula to get the process right. Also on the Race Tuner theres no auto mode between the software and the dyno, like the Power Commander, hence the trial and error.There are over 220 cells for fuel and air mixture which must be mapped and the same number for advance and the two parameters work in conjunction with one another. You might be too lean and too advanced, or just too lean or too advanced, and in which rpm ranges and at what throttle settings???????

Octane Booster isn't the answer....A PATIENT...THOROUGH and COMPETENT tuner is!!!!!!
Keep taking it back til it's right!!!! :-X

srqseeg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »

PCC--

Great info and good for future reference!  Thanks!  

Dealer finally got it right so it's running super now.   Very frustrating experience though.

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 10:40:31 PM »

I am not an expert by any means but...having thoroughly discussed the difference between the RT and the PCIII with the tuner in Daytona, I was sold on the PCIII because it takes a very good tune (6 hours min) to set up the RT.  Not to say it is better or worse, but it takes patience.  The bike must be cooled down too many times to make the RT work good.  Most tuners don't want to labor over that much time on one bike and at straight pay   rates.  HD mechanics are not that precise when work is stacking up.  If you are racing and patient, RT may be the way to go.  If your a weekend road rider, you are not going to notice the difference.  Temperature, humidity, fuel, altitude and mixture are so important.  Most of us will not be willing to change maps constantly to adapt to different riding conditions to warrant the RT.  He did not run it down, but just pointed out that most people will not dial it in without enormous expense using the RT.  

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 01:03:53 PM »

I am not an expert by any means but...having thoroughly discussed the difference between the RT and the PCIII with the tuner in Daytona, I was sold on the PCIII because it takes a very good tune (6 hours min) to set up the RT.  Not to say it is better or worse, but it takes patience.  The bike must be cooled down too many times to make the RT work good.  Most tuners don't want to labor over that much time on one bike and at straight pay   rates.  HD mechanics are not that precise when work is stacking up.  If you are racing and patient, RT may be the way to go.  If your a weekend road rider, you are not going to notice the difference.  Temperature, humidity, fuel, altitude and mixture are so important.  Most of us will not be willing to change maps constantly to adapt to different riding conditions to warrant the RT.  He did not run it down, but just pointed out that most people will not dial it in without enormous expense using the RT.  

It sounds like this guy has never tuned using a RT or my guess is he's selling PC's. An experienced tuner should be able to dial in a bike in under 2 hours using RT and the available base maps.  
2020 Scorched Orange Limited
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.