Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cam bearing went bad, dyno guy in Hilton Head?  (Read 1420 times)

CVOdave

• CVO1: 2004 CVO Electra Glide O/B
    • CVO2: 2017 CVO Street Glide O/B
Cam bearing went bad, dyno guy in Hilton Head?
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:20:59 PM »

Heard severe clacking on my 04 with only 11,000 miles on it. Was 2 hours from leaving on a trip from Michigan to Maggie valley, NC to Hilton Head Island, SC and back to Michigan. I feel blessed it happened while I was in town. The dealer had me on the rack within 5 minutes of me getting there (can't complain). They thought it was the compensater nut, but the mechanic told me it was a good news / bad news situation. Good news= compensator nut was loose(he tightened), Bad news= That wasn't the problem. Had a cam bearing go out, and all the bearings were not accounted for. It would have to be torn down, cleaned and a new cam put in. Problem was it would have taken about 5 days to do! My family had left for Hilton Head already, I was suppose to meet them there. After a couple of hours they said they had some good news and some bad news (they have a sense of humor) Good news= they could get me on the road the next evening, Bad news = In order to do that they would have to use one of the cams they had in stock which wasn't a stock cam, and it would cost me $139.00 for adjustable rods. The cam I ended up with was the SE 251. Seems OK. When I left I specifically asked if I would have to break it in again and was told "ride it like you stole it" No pistons changed,no jugs changed etc. so don't worry about it. Now comes the concern. They test drove it and determined it didn't need a remapping (I have the Power Cammander III). The pipe ends don't look too bad, the front has a touch of black (rich) the rear is tan. Haven't checked the plugs yet, but will before the trip back to Michigan. I wouldn't mind a reassuring dyno run before my trip back. Anyone know of a good PCIII tuner in the Hilton Head area?  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:56:31 AM by CVOdave »

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 21 queries.