Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) Jacket and Pants review  (Read 48318 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Gerbing eXtreme Element (XE) Jacket and Pants review
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »

Update:  My eXtreme element pants and boot insoles were no longer heating and the controller for pants had a fast flashing red.  I sent an email to Michael Tex Mawby.  Not being sure if it was the insoles, the pants or the connection in my jacket, I just sent everything in.

Come to find out.....the insoles had a short in them.  Everything else tested fine.  I got everything back today, including a new pair of insoles.  No charge.

I did learn that they no longer use the name Gerbing.  It's now Gyde Supply......   http://gydesupply.com/
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2016, 09:22:10 PM »

That's great JC. I see they have updated and new products as well.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »

Terrie and I have had the Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves for years.  However, yesterday we invested in a little more comfort....the Gerbing eXtreme Element heated jacket and pants.

In less than 24 hours I have to say it's probably some of the best riding gear I've ever bought. Some of the specs:

»   Rugged 330-denier Cordura
»   Ballistic-grade Cordura in the shoulders and elbows
»   Polyurethane coating, heat-sealed seams and waterproof zippered pockets
»   Reflective piping plus full reflective back panel and on chest pockets
»   Additional pockets below the belt line add to your storage capacity
»   Zippered hand-warmer pockets are standard
»   CE-rated removable Knox armor in the shoulders, elbows and spine

My observations and experience after a short 75 mile day ride this morning.....compared to leathers, much lighter weight yet warmer and dryer.  It has a waist belt that loops back at the front opening, to either side and secures with velcro type hook and loop fasterners.  The cuffs at the wrist as well as at the ankles have large velcro type bands to cinch up the cuffs to the riders comfort.

This outfit is designed to wear a light undergarment but not jeans (although some wear jeans under them).  Wanting to test it in the mode it was designed for, I wore thin sweat pants and a t-shirt to experience it's full effect.

Using our existing dual controller, I have to say it was very, very comfortable.  We started out at about 38F and it was 45F when we returned.  We were very comfortable the full extent of our ride.  The waist belt on the jacket provided us a place to hook the dual controller and so that wasn't an issue and provided us the opportunity to control the pants and jacket/gloves seperately.

The icing on the cake for this outfit is that it serves the dual purpose of a rain suit!  So while you're staying warm, you're also staying dry.  Chuck rode from San Mateo to our home here in Elk Grove in the rain last night.  He was totally dry and the outfit appeared to be dry and had very little water on it.  The water seems to bead up and run right off.....it sheds water very, very well!

I would recommend this outfit to anybody that rides year around or has to ride in the cold temps or the rain.  A perfect outfit for those that commute on their bike year around (Ernie, Magoo, etc.).

I had opportunity to talk with Jeff Gerbing at length.  I asked Jeff if he had any plans for a wireless temp. controller.  He said that there is, in fact, a remote controller in the works and will be available for release in Sept. 2012.  It is not like the competitors.  This controller is a four channel controller.  You'll be able to control different temp. levels on four different items (jacket, gloves, pants, boot insoles) at the same time.  And each channel will have a memory.  So if you set the jacket at 72F and the gloves at 76F, etc. the controller will remember that.  Sounds pretty interesting and of course, he was very excited about it just describing it to us.

Also, In the past, if you bought your Gerbing gear from a retailer and not directly from Gerbing, you had to have a receipt in order to get warranty work done on the item.  That's no longer the case.  Jeff learned about that and put a stop to it.  If his name is on it, it has a lifetime warranty......no receipt necessary regardless of who you bought it from!

Here's a link to the XE (eXtreme Element) gear......  http://gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/extreme%20element%20jacket.php   

I'm sure somebody else here has experienced the XE gear and they can share their experience.  I thought I'd write this as I'd never seen a review on this forum for the XE.  Check it out......it's well worth it. :2vrolijk_21:

I have been riding with this Gerbing eXtreme Element heated jacket and pants for a little over eight years.  Every winter and in some single digit temps and a couple of times riding across this country where it never got above freezing temps all day long.  I'm here to say it has served me well!

I have the heated boot insoles and of course the heated gloves as well and I wear a modular helmet so I can ride in below freezing temps in comfort.  Last winter the plug on my left arm that my golve plugs in to broke off. 

I finally sent it to Gerbing to be repaired.  They replaced both plugs (they got brittle) for $7.50 plus shipping......a total of $36.58 and I'm a happy camper again!  If you ride in the cold you might want to consider Gerbing eXtreme Element so that you can ride in comfort.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.