Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Helmets Save Lives - Even when at a pit stop!  (Read 2222 times)

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
Helmets Save Lives - Even when at a pit stop!
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »

I am not sure if this has been shared on the thread or not before.  It obviously made the news at the time, and maybe was talked about in here. 

This was sent out from the Director of the Texoma HOG group today, and it involves his personal aspect of the family member involved in the incedent.  This is part of the e-mail he sent out this morning, He has given me permission to post it.

Good Morning,

We think about all the things we can control when we're riding.  Our speed, direction of travel and a number of other
things come to mind.  What about the things we can't control?  The weather, traffic, road conditions and even more
things come to mind.  Then there are things that we don't even consider, not even in our worst nightmares.

My Aunt Betty, now in her 70's, rides her Harley trike somewhere every day, weather permitting.  Considering she lives
in Salt Lake City the winters are tough but she still manages to ride almost every day.

The following paragraph is taken from a family letter she mailed to all of us last month.  We knew of her circumstances at the time they took place but I thought I would share her experience with everyone.  We have all been in her shoes, riding somewhere and pulling off the road for a cup of coffee.

"In August,  2011, I was planning my first solo motorcycle trip to California.  It was a great ride over and I left September 6th to ride back home.  All was well until I came through Carson City, Nevada.  As it turned out I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

I stopped at an IHOP to get a cup of coffee.  There was a gunman present who proceeded to shoot the place up killing and wounding many of the patrons inside.  I ran to the parking lot to leave and started putting on my helmet.  I did not realizing he had followed me out.  He then started shooting up the parking lot, hitting my bike several times and then hitting me.

I had been shot in the head.  Lying on the ground I could hear the sirens coming.  There was a deputy sheriff standing over me, talking to me.  I don't remember the life-flight out but I was flown to a nearby hospital in Reno where I had emergency surgery on my head.  A miracle happened that day, I survived. 

After about a month in the hospital San and I took Amtrak to Salt Lake City where I checked into the Intermountain Medical Center.  I was only there for five days because I was making such great progress in physical therapy.  After checking out I've had several weeks of physical therapy and counseling for the trauma.  I feel very blessed to be here and alive.  Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  I believe in prayer and I know that's what brought me this far.  Thank you all."

Aunt Betty hopefully had her last surgery two weeks ago.  They installed a custom made plate in her head to keep everything together.  She's still not driving or riding but it won't be long until she's back on her bike.

The doctors say the motorcycle helmet she was wearing probably saved her life.  Not only did it somewhat soften and redirect the bullet but it held her skull in place long enough to keep her alive.  Way to go helmet!  I know all of you remember from all the news coverage of the event that a lady motorcycle rider was shot in the parking lot.  Now you know who she was and yes, she was riding a Harley.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Helmets Save Lives - Even when at a pit stop!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »

Great story!!   :2vrolijk_21:  Very glad to read Aunt Betty is doing well!   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »

Great story!!   :2vrolijk_21:  Very glad to read Aunt Betty is doing well!   :2vrolijk_21:

Just looked up the original story.... wow... wrong place wrong time is right.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:33:17 PM »

Wow!  What an amazing story of survival.  She is so lucky, especially with a head wound.  I remember when this happened, they broadcast the Guardsmen were targeted, but it appears he shot whoever got within range.  Personal forensics will most likely reflect a history of violent acts from this guy. Good thing he saved the State the cost of prosecution.  We were in Reno and Carson City just two weeks later for Street Vibrations. 

I was a Combat Medic in Nam and we witnessed many similar situations with helmets.  Both infantry and Pilots surviving helmet caused redirected and curtailed rounds, and surviving the hit.  One guy actually had a round hit his steel pot, go around the interior of the helmet and exit the other end, never touching him.  It was an AK-47 round.  He didn't get a scratch and he took the pot home with him. 

Many prayers for Aunt Betty's full recovery and return to her riding soon.

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »

WOW! thats all i can say  God bless her

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »

Glad to see she is recovering and the helmet helped save her life.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »

Just goes to show....you never know! Glad it looks like a full recovery for her.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »

Wow! I am glad she is recovering well and will ride again. This world is full of crazy people these days and it makes it bad for all of us responsible and sane gun owners. This was a tragedy. Thank god your going to be OK.....Face
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:33:27 PM »

Happy for you guys . I always wear my helmet, I guess i'll be a kevlar one, just in case   :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 22 queries.