Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: California Covered Bridges Tours.....  (Read 20607 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: California Covered Bridges Tours.....
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »

On our way back to the highway from the last bridge we came upon a car rolled over.  Several cars arrived before us and those drivers waved us on through.  The car had been traveling in the same direction that we were traveling however, the skid marks were from the left side of the road (the on coming traffic side), back across the road and into the ditch and fence on our right.

I told Terrie that it looked like the driver was texting or something and all of a sudden realized they were on the wrong side of the road and over corrected.....but it's all speculation on my part.  However, doing a google search this morning......looks like that may be exactly what happened.  The only thing that's puzzeling is they said she was going "slightly" over the speed limit.  The lenght of the skid marks and then rolling over at the end of those skid marks, I'd say she was going well over the speed limit (30 mph).

We were probably the only ones that got through.  Within 100 feet of passing the roll over, we noticed the fire truck and ambulance coming.  The report says the road was closed for several hours.  Well, nobody was hurt so that's a good thing......could have been an innocent motorcyclist. :nixweiss:

http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_19948608
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

List of California covered bridges
http://www.dalejtravis.com/cblist/cbca.htm
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 12:41:54 PM »

Thanks for sharing your ride with us. I was surprised by the high toll prices on the Bridgeport bridge back then - $6.00 in 1862 was a lot of money ! We have a bunch of covered bridges around here and I've often thought of doing a "bridge picture tour". The civil war battlefield tour is on our bucket list too. Maybe this year...

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »

JC, you are the reason that I was sitting on my mc in the garage the other day with all the alarms going off  ::). When I see your beautiful picture's, I get the itch to ride and that sends me to the garage.  Thank you so much for sharing your adventures  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »

JC, you are the reason that I was sitting on my mc in the garage the other day with all the alarms going off  ::). When I see your beautiful picture's, I get the itch to ride and that sends me to the garage.  Thank you so much for sharing your adventures  :2vrolijk_21:

I post these ride reports so that you don't have to go sit in the garage! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Terriez

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »

I am so lucky to be married to a Tour Guide and a Photographer. Great day and Great fun. Great pictures.  :cherry: :cherry: :daisy: :daisy: :love_3:

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 11:05:32 AM »

JC
You never cease to amaze me with the great pix and narrative. Looks like you all had a great ride.
Thanks for the post.

Duke

13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »

I am so lucky to be married to a Tour Guide and a Photographer. Great day and Great fun. Great pictures.  :cherry: :cherry: :daisy: :daisy: :love_3:

I'd probably do OK as an ametuer tour guide but "photographer". :nixweiss:  People like Terry and Jock (and myself) would find that pretty funny. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:   But thanks for the complament....I appreciate it. :2vrolijk_21:

Now I've got to get this coming weekend's route laid out...........a three day weekend! :bananarock: :pepper:  :orange: :jalapeno: :mango: :bananarock: :cucumber: :apple:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »

Just looking at the covered bridge list in detail.  Several of these bridges are at an amusement park (Disneyland, etc.) across a swimming pool at a hotel, and are pedestrian bridges (and always have been).  I don't think those bridges will be a part of our quest to cover all the covered bridges in Calif. (auto bridges or were auto bridges).

If you go to the link and click on the numbers in blue on the left, it'll show you photos of each bridge.

West Coast GTG   

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »

T'was and awesome ride and another great day spent with everyone.  I am truly blessed to have signed up on this board and met the people I have because of it.  :2vrolijk_21:

JC, I got a glimpse of that last covered bridge on our way out.  It was about 300 yards past that truck we saw sitting out in the field.  The top of the bridge was just about level with the brush line making it hard to spot, but I think it was a bit yellow in color.  The top wasn't much higher than the road we were on.  Wish I had a way to pull the image out of my head and post it here for ya.  :nixweiss:

Great way to break in the ridding year, great shots, great ride report, great people, great food... gonna have to just have to start callin' me Tony cuz all I have to say is "They're great!"

Think it was somewhere around 368 Miles for me over a 14 hr day and probably spent at least 12 of those hrs in the saddle.  Best place to be.  :bananarock:
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »

Great report!  Sure would like to do a ride like that sometime.  I especially like the house built on the covered bridge.  They certainly didn't scrimp on materials in that place.  The I Beams were impressive and the art world class.  Nice.  Thanks for sharing y'all.   :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »

Just looking at the covered bridge list in detail.  Several of these bridges are at an amusement park (Disneyland, etc.) across a swimming pool at a hotel, and are pedestrian bridges (and always have been).  I don't think those bridges will be a part of our quest to cover all the covered bridges in Calif. (auto bridges or were auto bridges).

If you go to the link and click on the numbers in blue on the left, it'll show you photos of each bridge.

Thanks JC.... will have to look on Google to see if there are any covered bridges in Arizona.
Keep up the good work.

Richard
 :pineapple:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:01:54 PM by rbaker »

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 01:51:25 AM »

Carole and I had a great day on the tour. We enjoy riding through the rural areas and the gold country is always nice because of the foothills and the history of the area. The different animals that people have can be interesting. (Forgot my camera.)

Didn't see the inside of the Bridge home in person but the pics of it were great. All the pics in the thread were good. I especially like the one where it looks like I don't have any teeth. Thanks.

Of course the other riders are the best part of the tour. Jeff finally reappeared again.  Got to see Andy three times in the last month.

Second guessed the GPS on the way home. Of course it was right again.

Got home, had tomato soup, went to bed.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:56:51 AM by DDavidson »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »

Beautiful country to ride through!  You are blessed to be close enough to enjoy it.  Thanks for the pix!
Jesus is Lord

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »

Awesome, thanks for sharing!!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 23 queries.