Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: New to ABS brakes - 2013 FLHTCUSE8  (Read 4830 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: New to ABS brakes - 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 12:59:49 AM »

When doing high speed or emergency quick stop braking, it's a good idea, to use both front and rear brakes in combination. That's why the application is called Threshold Combination Braking" It's a good habit to get into and should be part of regular practice.

I have riders say to me all the time, "I never use the rear, more than 75% of braking power is in the front". I usually reply, "That is correct, but if you had to bail off a sinking ship, would you like your life vest to work 75% or 100%. In an emergency stop your brakes are your life vest, so get 100% out of them, use both brakes.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: New to ABS brakes - 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »

Most coaches and instructors would say people tend to react as they have been taught, or trained. In addition to the ABS, perhaps your wife might benefit from some regular scheduled practice. It doesn't have to be too involved, just once a month for ten or fifteen minutes. I suggest to folks that if the ride starts at 10am, show up at the meeting spot at 9:30 and spend a few mins practicing. That way when you ride out, you will be warmed up and in the correct mind set. There is a reason all athletes warm up with the fundamentals before a game.

Mark

My wife rides a lot, averages 30K a year on a bike, 36K last year on her Street glide.  She practices a lot.  She teaches MSRF basic and also the Riders Edge basic and advanced.  She is certified by both, and the State of TN.  She sometimes uses her Heritage for the demonstration and sometimes her street glide.  She has to demonstrate proper braking. 

While in Ideal conditions she can stop just as fast on a non ABS bike, in less than ideal conditions she can stop faster on the ABS street glide.

I am pretty much the same way.  I also practice on the range on my bikes.

I agree on people reaction on how they are trained which is why we both practice on the range, with braking and swerving.  I also know from my 20 years active duty, high stress situations some times people over react.  I do not plan on wrecking my bike, but I have insurance on it.  Insurance is not a substitute for safe, smart riding, or locking the bike.  Just like ABS is not a substitute for proper braking.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.