Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rider hit by firetruck - On Dudy DUI Firefighter  (Read 2259 times)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Rider hit by firetruck - On Dudy DUI Firefighter
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An on-duty San Francisco firefighter was arrested this weekend after the fire truck he was driving collided with a motorcycle. Police say that firefighter was drunk and then left the scene.  Michael Quinn is a 23-year veteran with the San Francisco Fire Department. His friends say he's never been in trouble before. In fact, he's a decorated firefighter. But on Saturday, his life took a turn.

Late Saturday night, with its siren and lights on, the fire truck he was driving responded to a call of smoke in a building south of Market, near 5th and Howard streets.  As he turned the truck, police say it hit a motorcycle. The rider was taken to San Francisco General Hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
Police say Quinn suddenly left the scene of the accident and disappeared for several hours before returning. Fire investigators gave him a breathalyzer test, which showed an alcohol reading of .16, which is twice the legal limit. He was subsequently arrested. Police booked him for a DUI and leaving the scene of an accident. A police source tells us that Quinn was "uncooperative" when they asked him to take their breathalyzer test. We're told he subsequently took a "blood" test and  police are waiting for those results before submitting the case to the district attorney, possibly Tuesday. Last month, the 43-year-old firefighter survived a 500-foot fall when his hang glider plunged into the waters near Fort Funston.  Those who know Quinn say he's had a difficult year. A firefighter who knows him told ABC7 News that Quinn's mother and sister died within months of each other due to illnesses. And now, this.  :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: Rider hit by firetruck - On Dudy DUI Firefighter
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »

I'm happy to read that the motorcycle rider survived... I hope he or she fully recovers from his or her injuries.

Everyone goes through chit in their life, and has good years and bad years. Sounds like the firefighter needs some time off and some counseling. I dont want to judge the man... but he made a huge mistake in coming to work intoxicated, and then driving a fire truck in that state. So did his superiors for not recognizing that...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:55:52 AM »

wow I'm speechless...  that firefighter to me is worthless ....  can you image in your in a burning structure  just you and your partner in a particular area of a burning structure ...you have a family as well   not knowing  your partner is drunk ..searching for possible people  in the  fire/smoke  ...not only is he putting his life in harm's way and fellow worker's as well .... 
glad motorcyclist is ok 
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:00:40 AM »

Wow !! sad to here this type of story hope it works out for all party's involved.
DND

King2013

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:36:59 AM »

Police say Quinn suddenly left the scene of the accident and disappeared for several hours before returning. Fire investigators gave him a breathalyzer test, which showed an alcohol reading of .16, which is twice the legal limit. He was subsequently arrested. Police booked him for a DUI and leaving the scene of an accident. A police source tells us that Quinn was "uncooperative" when they asked him to take their breathalyzer test.

My only problem with this story is, if he left the scene for several hours how can they be sure he didn't get drunk while he was MIA?

I don't know this guy and I'm certainly not defending him. I'm all for strong punishment for anyone who hits a motorcyclist (I was hit by an 80 year old driver who's still driving!) but I don't think there's any proof of a DUI unless he admits to it.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »

My only problem with this story is, if he left the scene for several hours how can they be sure he didn't get drunk while he was MIA?

I don't know this guy and I'm certainly not defending him. I'm all for strong punishment for anyone who hits a motorcyclist (I was hit by an 80 year old driver who's still driving!) but I don't think there's any proof of a DUI unless he admits to it.

I am inclined to agree with you with all the problems this firefighter has had this year in his life.  Over his 23 years of service.  I am sure he has seen many accidents involiving motorcycles.  We don't know what was going through or what state of mind he was in at the time of the accident either.   But as a motorcyclelist even a drunk fire truck driver with lights and sirens on you still must yield to them.    I just wonder if he or she was stopped and just got hit.  Just glad everyone is alive and well and we can learn from this experience right now and get this man the help he needs. 

I really hope that was the case that when he went Mia he went and had a few then and all will be well later for both parties involved.  It may not have been the best decision he could have made but it sure would make more since of the situation. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

ffltjeff

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »

In my state running lights and sirens means that you are asking for permission to proceed against the rules for normal traffic flow.  There have been many court cases that have found rescue personnel guilty of traffic accidents.  We all go through bad times and there are bad apples in every career, however it would not be a good conversation if I found out the guy that has my back is drunk.  Glad to hear that the biker is OK. 
2013 FLHTCUSE8
V&H Power Duals, V&H Monster Ovals, SERT
Progressive 444 shocks, Progressive Cartridge Fork Kit
Windsplitter windshield

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »

I'm glad to hear that the biker will be ok!

As a former first responder, I have absolutely no sympathy for this irresponsible a$$hole! 'Have buried both my Mother and my Sister, and never thought about drinking on the job (wasn't a FR then, but my job included a lot of driving). He should at the very least, be fired without pension, if not criminal charges, but they will probably sweep it under the rug ~ taking care of their own, the best that they can. If a citizen committed an act of fleeing the scene w/ DUI, they would be cuffed & stuffed on the spot and have a hefty bond.
Everybody knows that this is not his first time intoxicated on the job(that is the courts assumption when anybody gets their 1st DUI ~ "we just haven't caught you yet")

'Wonder if he was drunk when he wrecked his hang glider??

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

RJW

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE5d #506
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »

I'm happy to read that the motorcycle rider survived... I hope he or she fully recovers from his or her injuries.

Everyone goes through chit in their life, and has good years and bad years. Sounds like the firefighter needs some time off and some counseling. I dont want to judge the man... but he made a huge mistake in coming to work intoxicated, and then driving a fire truck in that state. So did his superiors for not recognizing that...

Ken

x100

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.