Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: State troopers mount motorcycles for enforcement on "The Dragon"  (Read 9281 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: State troopers mount motorcycles for enforcement on "The Dragon"
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

I would not go out of your way to ride the Dragon. There are much better roads in the area to ride. Someone was smart to make a business out of it.
Bill

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »

The California roads with curves have a little extra thrill called tar snakes. ;D

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »

I rolled through there on Friday the 13th.  There was a big crowd at Deals Gap and a couple of troopers poking around.  Next ones I saw were about 5 miles in looked to be 5 or 6 of them with a bunch of riders pulled over.  Saw a couple more headed that way soon after.  Didn't really have time to do much more than glance at them.

Biggest issue that day was meeting a semi coming the other way.  He was using both lanes and some of the shoulder, a real ass.   I had to pull off in the dirt and let him pass.

We came in from the east on 28 and traffic was almost nonexistent.   And except for the semi, 129 was had only light traffic.  I caught one pickup who was poking along, but he pulled off and let me bye without too much delay.   All in all, I liked the ride on 28 better than 129.  129 is not all that difficult, it just takes a higher level of attention and endurance.  It's not at all like the roads we have in this area.  Here the hairpins tend to be at the end of long straightaways, so speed and braking are more of an issue.   

On 28 we did see some people loading what was left of a sport bike onto a trailer a few miles east of Deals Gap.  I guess someone has to feed the tree.  Better them than me.

casper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 08:45:36 PM »

I was with a group of 21 of us at the Georgia State HOG rally from Maryland rode the Dragon on Friday 13th, saw lots of troopers riding over a dozen of them. werent bothering anyone. One even stopped when I was broke down with a dead battery. And there is no reason the Drogon is such a destination however if in the area love to ride it wth people who have not. It is definitely a we;; marketed promotion that cost the promoters nothing to build, but make a fortune for about 4-5 months a year with all the sales of hats shirts stickers and at least 4-5 photographers I saw there Friday.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »

The first time that I rode that stretch of 129, I said to the person that was showing me around, “This is the best stretch of road that I’ve seen”. He replied, “You haven’t seen chit”. I headed back the next year to check out some of the chit that I’d missed; you could wear yourself out on all of the crooked two-lane in that part of the country. The Dragon’s lack of driveways and intersections make it a favorite of mine.

There is a lot of remarkable riding to experience in California, and I found an outstanding 70 mile stretch of road in Southeastern Arizona; Highway 191 from around Clifton up to Highway 60. There is an interesting POI at marker 223 that is worth a look and maybe a photo.

Another day-long favorite is Highway 93, west of Butte, near Hamilton, then 75 through the Sawtooth’s to Ketchum. This is a 270 mile, you must be effen kidding me experience that I always look forward to when I’m out that way.
 :smilie_staub:

Go ahead and tell us, I and many others may never make it to that area!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »

Go ahead and tell us, I and many others may never make it to that area!!

The POI isn’t anything more than an excuse to get off your machine and stretch your legs. It is a tree near marker 223 that a number of local folks, and maybe some that aren’t so local, have shot a massive number of arrows into. It is something that you probably wouldn’t see unless you knew to look for it.

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »

it is a must do, had to get some orange wings when i was in the area this summer.

typically different groups will go on different days, ask around the first day and fall in with a group of similar riders.

i did a great loop last year that hit both the cherohola and the dragon

I have got to put that trip on my list for next year.  Too many roads to ride and not enough time.

2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.