Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR)  (Read 6914 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re:
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 10:47:03 AM »

Last time I was in Germany with a dealer group we had a guy that got 7 tickets from the cameras.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re:
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 11:16:05 AM »

That is something I still don't like.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re:
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 11:21:20 AM »

The cameras in Germany that I mentioned were for the intersections and red light runners.

In this area we have a pandemic of red light runners.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:21:49 AM by Rjob749 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re:
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 11:24:34 AM »

when i lived in germany it was actually kinda nice...
you get a ticket in themail, you pay it
nopoints no insurance issues, no bullchit...
it was like paying a surcharge to drive fast

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re:  Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALP
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 11:32:17 AM »

good points all

I have to tell you; for the most part the marked patrol car isnt much of a deterrence...unless you already have someone pulled over...lights and such flashing...
recently i covered a trooper on a stop;   he pulled the kid over for trying to drag race him.... in a fully marked and highly recognizable state patrol crown victoria....
( covred in reflective markings)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re:
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 11:37:20 AM »

he pulled the kid over for trying to drag race him.... in a fully marked and highly recognizable state patrol crown victoria....
( covred in reflective markings)

Ok, stupid that kid surely was.  But you've got to admire (or at least appreciate) the chutzpah!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re:
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »

The cameras in Germany that I mentioned were for the intersections and red light runners.

RedFXR2

Re:
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 12:19:56 PM »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 02:07:27 PM »

I like the system in the video! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
All departments should have this system to locate stolen cars, wanted person,cars used in crimes,those vehicles owned by drivers with suspended or revoked licenses etc. Maybe even used to catch drivers with DUI restrictions such as to and from work driving only ,or no driving after dark drivers too.
As far as speeding and red light cameras go, one safety area is for the officers. They won't run a risk of getting run over, shot or assaulted during a traffic stop. The bad side is, with a camera  that the officer is not on the scene to make an arrest on a wanted person or discover other crimes. What if that speeding car is stolen,fleeing a robbery or just abbducted a child. There would be a photo of the event that may be used later but it may be too late compaired to an officer making the stop.
Think of it as a great way to increase revenue for the jurisdiction with minimal risk to the officers. Most folks will just treat the ticket as a speed tax and keep on driving  fast unless you affect their driving record or insurance. Then how would you handle a speeding car that is registered to two people and may be driven by a third party like a child,neighbor or friend? It could be a drawn out process to affect the right person's record.

Red light cameras seem to be a good idea at first on a public safety standpoint to prevent accidents. They do tend to slow down the number of front and angle collisions but most people have not heard of the fact that they INCREASE the rate of rear end collisions because people slam on the brakes to stop in time for the cameras then they get rear ended by the car behind them. Then like in most cases where cameras are installed after awile people forget they are there and they revert back to their old ways. Some folks would also treat the intersection cameras as redlight tax and just pay it. Again you need to affect their license or insurance.Then you have the same issues as above.
Many localites use a private company to administer the day to day operations of the cameras and fine mailings. They get a precentage of the fines gathered and I have heard that they have some instances of tampering with the timing to shorten the cycle and increase the number of violators so revenue goes up. That would have to be cross checked to make sure it's accurate.
Remember the camera companies are trying to make money selling and maintaining their product. The government is thinking of all the revenue and selling the idea as public safety.

The red light cameras would be best for evidence at trial for showing who caused the accident.

Also when you look at the ultimate objective of public safety the cheapest and easiest way to make intersections safer would be to set the timing on the lights so that all four ways go red for 4 or 5 seconds to allow for the intersection to clear before anyone goes on a green.
All intersections could be changed today if they took the time and effort to do it.
And in reality what is 4 seconds in your life if it prevents you or a loved one from getting in a wreck?

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 02:40:30 PM »

The more you know about the red-light cameras the more it seems to be focused on revenue. I hate the fools that run red-lights, but lean towards old fashioned enforcement rather than contractor's getting in bed with the politicians and LE agencies.

There were 17 intersections in Sacramento outfitted with red-light cameras. In one year they generated 12,388 traffic tickets. Since red-light fines then were $351, those tickets are worth $4.3 million. Considering that the county paid the contractor (ACS) roughly $1 million a year to rent and maintain the system, the cameras seem to have been a profitable investment. The sheriff
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 03:57:59 PM »

In Seattle the ticket is reviewed by two officers who issue the ticket.  I believe it gets a front and back shot of each car and the light is in view.

If you sign a sworn statement that you weren't the driver it is dismissed.

I sure wouldn't be signing one if I was driving though, not sure of the consequence.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 06:27:51 PM »

No system nor person is perfect. We all know that. There are things that go wrong w/ cameras, wires, computers, lasers, radar guns, speedometers, et al. Police officers make mistakes too. Nothing's perfect. But the inability to challenge your accuser is the fundamental flaw w/ camera tickets.

The system which is the subject of this thread is manned by an officer. It merely speeds up what the officer can already do. The human is a part of the process. I've no problem w/ this one until, and they will, they find a way to abuse it.

My 2

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re:
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 06:30:44 PM »

That is something I still don't like.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 06:31:52 PM by ultrabluz »

Bagger

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2006, 08:08:01 AM »

I remember those cameras in Germany.  Back in the early 80's I was traveling on an Autobahn in a 1970 VW K70 at 140kph in a 100kph zone.  Some guy with a camera stepped out from behind a bush, snapped my picture, and within a week, I had a ticket in my mailbox.  Don't remember the fine.  That was my first and only "run-in" with this type of policing.  Apparently it worked.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
Re:
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2006, 08:16:34 AM »

Come down here if you want to see folks ignore red lights.

Yesterday--lady ran a red light right down the road from me and sent five people to the hospital.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.