Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Lost my 124  (Read 5484 times)

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
Lost my 124
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »

Hi all
Just an update on my new motor. Things were going great for the beginning of the break in until I developed a valve train noise which was getting worse with mileage .At 1200 km took it back to dealer and they agreed it was noisy of which narrowed it down to the cam plate .They got a hold of s&s and the reply was they over machined bearing cups but sent out some of these motors anyway now i have lost my bike for the riding season in Canada short as it is, because they cant get parts . First i was told cant get oil pumps and now cams  >:( BULL OR NOT  :nixweiss: 

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Lost my 124
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:26:41 AM »

Certainly odd for that outfit. :nixweiss:
Scott

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »

Is the dealer telling you that or S&S?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:23:59 PM »

I've been watching the Morgan Three Wheeler forum in the UK and that car uses the S&S Wedge 2.0L motor.  They've had broken valve springs and many timing belts worn out or snapped.  Apparently this is a common issue on some of the aftermarket bikes with the Wedge motors.

For them, getting parts has been a BIG problem.  I'm not sure if it's that they're in the UK or that S&S is just reacting very slowly to their needs.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »

I feel for you with the short season.  Sure doesn't sound right they can't get parts, especially their own cam.

BTW, why are they machining the bearing cups?  Is this common practice?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »

I'm taking that this is a 124 Crate Motor?

It'll be interesting to see how this develops, and how fast they get you back on the road...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 03:34:45 AM »

I've been watching the Morgan Three Wheeler forum in the UK and that car uses the S&S Wedge 2.0L motor.  They've had broken valve springs and many timing belts worn out or snapped.  Apparently this is a common issue on some of the aftermarket bikes with the Wedge motors.

For them, getting parts has been a BIG problem.  I'm not sure if it's that they're in the UK or that S&S is just reacting very slowly to their needs.

I hope you go OK in Canada
I had a problem with a S&S pushrod
Going OK sending emails backwards and forwards
When they realised I was in Australia ,didn't hear anymore .  :nixweiss:

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:32 AM »

This is a crate motor .The dealer is the one telling me they can get the parts,I see where you are going with this but why would they lie and have me harassing them daily instead of just fixing my bike !!!!!!!! Bike has been down for a month now , maybe should have gone 120r

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »

who is the dealer you're working with?  Have you tried calling S&S directly yourself?
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »

I have over 20,000 miles on my 124 crate motor and I push the heck out of it.  I'm pleased with the motor but not happy with the installers recommendations for the exhaust or the crappy tune.  I would not hesitate to call S&S directly.  Not saying your dealer is giving you the run around but why not get your info first hand, after all it is your motor.  I would recommend that you document all your conversations with your dealer and S&S,  the more info you gather the better off you will be.  Down time just plain sucks no matter what the machine. 

I hope you get this resolved real soon. 

Ray G

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »

It is my understanding that any warranty issues have to be thru an S&S authorized dealer.
I had a problem with the ECM on my new T124, had to find a S&S parts or service dealer to handle the claim. S&S would not authorize a return or a fix unless I used their dealer system.
 Once I found an S&S dealer, they sent an authorization for him to return the ECM, and very quickly got the issue resolved. The S&S dealer sent the ECM to S&S, within 3 days they contacted me, told me what they found, and what S&S was doing about it. A new ECM, was on its way the same day!
I'd be contacting S&S directly right away. twinotter

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 07:33:37 AM »

who is the dealer you're working with?  Have you tried calling S&S directly yourself?

exactly,call S&S yourself

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »

You're welcome to PM me with your information. Serial number, date purchased, where it was purchased etc and I will gladly get in touch with the powers that be to make sure all avenues are explored and or exhausted to get you what you need. If you'd like me to help, just PM me and I can give you my number or another direct number for an S&S rep that will certainly find out information you can be sure is correct.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »

You're welcome to PM me with your information. Serial number, date purchased, where it was purchased etc and I will gladly get in touch with the powers that be to make sure all avenues are explored and or exhausted to get you what you need. If you'd like me to help, just PM me and I can give you my number or another direct number for an S&S rep that will certainly find out information you can be sure is correct.

:2vrolijk_21:

Nice offer of assistance...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »

Thanks INDEPENDENT Just received a call that my bike is ready,only took close to 5 weeks better late than never  :nixweiss:

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »

No problem. Sorry it took so long. What was the hold up? As Kirby & Scott both stated, that is unlike S&S in my experience with them. In fact they have been so nice to deal with and stand behind their products so well, we are gravitating to using more and more of their stuff. I cant say I like some of their mousier (smaller cams) as much as some of the other grinds that are comparable but I like the 585's and up just fine and Im actually a big fan of the 640's for a street driven HP bike because of their ability to make the power and they are quieter than some of the other comparable cams.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Ohio HD

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »

I've never had any issues with S&S as a company. Pretty good folks to deal with.
2009 Ultra Classic ~ Bone Stock 96 inches
2008 Street Glide ~ Bone Stock 117 inches

06cuse

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 01 FXDWG2 Traded to FlaHeatWave
    • CVO2: 06 FLTHCUSE 93k & Traded on a 10 FLHTK 73k traded on a Skunk
    • CVO3: 12 FLTRXSE Rollin Hard
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »

Just a post on my 124.  Similar issue ~ called S&S and they recommended Cycle-rama in Pinellas Park, FL.  Took it to Wes.  Diagnosis, the idler gear bushing was wearing and the noise I was hearing was the Idler gear moving around in the camplate.  No loss of oil pressure or performance just alot of noise, and I could not isolate it.  Wes called S&S they are replacing lifters, camplate, oilpump and the cam chest cover.  Wes stated the 640's were fine.  About 6k on the motor but the noise had gotten louder with time.  I had pulled the crank position sensor and there was no metal so I felt like the cam chest was the most likely offendor.  Love the motors power, and hope moving forward for a bulletproof 124.  I guess only time will tell.
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PV w A/T Pro~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan, Hayden M6.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.