Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HQ Cams for a 110"  (Read 2741 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
HQ Cams for a 110"
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »

Just looking into some drop in cams- done a ton of searches and reading, but that only confused matters even more.

I emailed Doug from Headquarters and told him what I ride and where I want more power/torque (1500-4000 rpms), and he recommended their HQ-TC 500-HC cam, along with their Black Ops lifters, adjustable pushrods, and covers.

Anybody have these cams in their bike? Any idea of how much this cam differs from the stock SE255?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

SE113

• Full CVO Member
Re: HQ Cams for a 110"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »

Just looking into some drop in cams- done a ton of searches and reading, but that only confused matters even more.

I emailed Doug from Headquarters and told him what I ride and where I want more power/torque (1500-4000 rpms), and he recommended their HQ-TC 500-HC cam, along with their Black Ops lifters, adjustable pushrods, and covers.

Anybody have these cams in their bike? Any idea of how much this cam differs from the stock SE255?
the 255 are perfect for your RPM range. i wish i had just left my 255's in

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »

Ask to see dyno comparisons. Based on what I know I would guess all you do is pick up a few HP and shift the torque curve over 500 to the right with that cam.
I would be inclined to add compression a little headwork and use a HQ600

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:02:13 PM »

See, this further adds to all the confusion with trying to find an elusive "guaranteed-to-perform" drop in cam- that's why I'm probably better off doing what my indy shop has been telling me all along- take the bike and a couple grand to a well known local engine guy/tuner, who has done twelve bikes so far with his "110 package". Basically he re-grinds the stock cam, does head work and throttle body work, and then a custom tune. Apparently he consistently gets 107 hp/130 tq out of all this. He showed my a dyno sheet, and the curves are exactly like mine, but a lot higher through out the curves (which is testament to my set up and Fullsacs map I guess).

Thing is he is pricey, IMO, plus I'd have to throw away my TTS since he only uses the SEPST. That's why I was exploring what I thought might be a cheaper, simpler solution for picking up a bit more power and torque.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:22:07 PM »

the 255 are perfect for your RPM range. i wish i had just left my 255's in

I love the HQ Black Ops lifters the Wizard put in this Beast... they really quieted down the cam chest. Can't speak to their cams, as I run the Andrews 54H cams that he put in. They are nice, but they like a bit of RPM. They don't really come in until the low to mid-2000s... but once they do, they scream right up to redline... doesn't feel like they are ever "all in"!

When I run 'er hard in the North Georgia mountains, I use engine braking a lot in the twisties, which makes the engine puke a bit, I THINK. The A/C seems clean, but I see see oil mist all over the lower engine. Anyone else notice this? My '95 Evo does this, too... but the A/C is always clean. Maybe it's just me. Perhaps I am "abusive"... someone told me that once... D'Oh!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 25 queries.