Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Ambient Temperature Gauge  (Read 9572 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Ambient Temperature Gauge
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 02:25:34 PM »

tiny wet condoms needed to place over the temperature sensor to read the wet bulbous temperature so you can accuately determine the temp/RH of whatever environment you are about to enter. 

I just know he's talkin' dirty  :o .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 09:25:03 AM »

iski,

I never tire of reading your posts. You have a great talent, being a smart a$$, to make your total BS actually interesting to read.

This may sound like a slap or crack on you, but I'm serious. I love your wacky posts.

Thanks Chief.  I have little to no control over my posts for the most part.  I delete the really odd ones - usually.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007, 09:26:27 AM »

Chief,
That's just the Fla. cracker comin' out in him.....  :P  ;D

? ? ?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2007, 09:30:58 AM »

? ? ?

That's just wrong! It looks like a poodle humping a trunkless elephant.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 09:37:23 AM »

Need me one of those, could glue it to that gauge and when it disolves it raining. Does it have a part number?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »

That's just wrong! It looks like a poodle humping a trunkless elephant.

;D ;D ;D

Midwestern variety crackers:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2007, 09:39:35 AM »

Need me one of those, could glue it to that gauge and when it disolves it raining. Does it have a part number?

? ? ?

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 12:20:35 PM »

Told you this thread should have been moved to humor.   

Has anyone actually complained to the MoCo directly about the inaccuracy of this device and gotten a reply worthy of posting? 

I am assuming and perhaps incorrectly that they know their gage is inaccurate.  Is it possible that they think it works. 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2007, 12:47:58 PM »

Told you this thread should have been moved to humor.   

Has anyone actually complained to the MoCo directly about the inaccuracy of this device and gotten a reply worthy of posting? 

I am assuming and perhaps incorrectly that they know their gage is inaccurate.  Is it possible that they think it works. 

Yes I have.  They are aware of the inaccuracy.  No fix was mentioned, problem is multi year, multi bike.

My guess is they figure some of us will spend the bucks to install an oil temp gauge to replace the worthless rain gauge.  So its a financial decision on their part to leave it as is. IMHO

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »

Yes I have.  They are aware of the inaccuracy.  No fix was mentioned, problem is multi year, multi bike.

My guess is they figure some of us will spend the bucks to install an oil temp gauge to replace the worthless rain gauge.  So its a financial decision on their part to leave it as is. IMHO

Separate from the accuracy of the rain gauge; I've often wondered why it was ever put there to begin with.  What product engineer had the somewhat questionable idea that someone riding a motorcycle, out in the elements, for miles and miles; would actually gain some benefit from an ambient air temerature gauge. 

We are, literally, in the ambient environment as we ride.  So how is it that an air temp gauge is more beneficial (or of any benefit) when compared to something like an oil temp gauge.  Just always seemed an odd product choice to me.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2007, 01:01:11 PM »

Separate from the accuracy of the rain gauge; I've often wondered why it was ever put there to begin with.  What product engineer had the somewhat questionable idea that someone riding a motorcycle, out in the elements, for miles and miles; would actually gain some benefit from an ambient air temerature gauge. 

We are, literally, in the ambient environment as we ride.  So how is it that an air temp gauge is more beneficial (or of any benefit) when compared to something like an oil temp gauge.  Just always seemed an odd product choice to me.

The concept is ok - ride along and know what outside temperature it is.  No idea why we would wish to know the temperature INSIDE our fairings though.  For something even more useless, they could install a wind speed gauge perhaps.  An oil temp gauge would be very useful.  Maybe the same engineer designed the floorboards on my RK that left no room for my left foot - the rear shifter lever took up the back third of the board until I replaced the lever with an extended one.

Remember comments re:speedometers that were similar to our rain gauge discussion here.  No need for one, the tach tells you where you are at.  Few years ago, in dinosaur bike days.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »

If the dam thing worked and alerted you to freezing conditions where ice was about to form, then and only then it  may be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:44:34 PM by IROAR »
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2007, 03:54:35 PM »

You FD guys Kill me! ::) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 08:59:56 AM »

You FD guys Kill me! ::) Hoist! 8)

We could go to jail for that.

In some states.

In other states, mebbe not?

When are you planning to visit Florida, BTW? 

;D

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 09:30:45 AM »

...you know it could be measuring the temp of those two halogen bulbs. Info like that could be very useful and possibly save your life if you were on the bike at night and your headlights were out. In that instance the gauge would read normal ambient temp and you would know for sure something was horribly wrong. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:39:33 AM by grandpadoc »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.