Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can you believe that we have to have a law to fly our flag  (Read 1086 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: can you believe that we have to have a law to fly our flag
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »

I think this issue was recently brought to the forefront in NC (Raleigh?) recently also.  Some people think it doesn't 'fit' the upscale 'image' of their neighborhood to allow such Independence.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »

I think this issue was recently brought to the forefront in NC (Raleigh?) recently also.  Some people think it doesn't 'fit' the upscale 'image' of their neighborhood to allow such Independence.  spyder

The hell with 'em, I will be flying my flag!
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »

Yeah we have that going on here in Ottawa, some DINKS (Dual Income No Kids) objected to someone in their Townhouse complex flying a flag... brought down the heat on the poor guy.

Turns out he is a Vet, who's son is in the Sandbox... public support put about 20 flags on his unit with a go on and take it down feeling in the air.  go on... we dare you
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:03:05 PM »

Does the flag represent the democracy or does the democracy represent the flag?  (I'm a Vet, USMC 78-82)

Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »

Wasn't finished, lost my cursor.

If the flag represents the democracy and the democracy is weak does the flag represent weakness?

I think the democracy is the strength and the democracy is the freedom of peoples to make decisions.

People made decisions on where and how they choose to live using democratic means. (Voted)

It belittles the democratic process when one person gets to ignore the vote of the people and does what he wants whether he is a hero or not. (Did he not read the rules before he bought into that community?) If the rule is broken or wrong then it should be brought up for change using a democratic process not dictated by some half/assed legislator using a phoney means to try to make a name for himself to get votes. (Who made the rule we can't fly a flag at night?)

The flag represents the people.  It belittles the flag when you use it to insult the people whether by creating laws shoving it in their face or by burning it.  Questioning the purpose for what the flag stands for only makes it stronger because it makes the purpose right. People standing for the democratic right are more patriotic then a democratic symbol.  People should respect the flag because they believe in what it stands for not because a LAW says we have to respect the flag.

Passing a frivolous law! THE EMPORER HAS NO CLOTHES!!!!
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »

It belittles the democratic process when one person gets to ignore the vote of the people and does what he wants whether he is a hero or not. (Did he not read the rules before he bought into that community?) If the rule is broken or wrong then it should be brought up for change using a democratic process not dictated by some half/assed legislator using a phoney means to try to make a name for himself to get votes. (Who made the rule we can't fly a flag at night?)

There have been many, many issues over the years concerning restrictive covenants in condo's, single family home developments, and various other places.  In many/most cases, the restrictions represent only the opinion of the developer and aren't the result of a vote by the homeowners.  Yes, the better developments usually allow for homeowner vote and control once the condo or neighborhood is fully functional, but that's not always the case.  So if you happen to buy in one of those places where some zealot developer slipped in BS restrictions and made no provision for eventual homeowner rule, what do you do?  Give up your home, or flip the figurative bird at the BS restriction?  I remember when developments put restrictions on satellite TV antenna's, forcing people to either go with the local monopoly cable company or try to catch a couple over-the-air stations with an indoor antenna.  Fortunately, enough people gave that one the finger that the courts and government agencies stepped in and declared such restrictions null and void.  If that was the case for something like an antenna, I would surely hope at least the same effort would be spent to assure American's that they could fly their country's flag without some jerk making their lives miserable.  All the yuppie's need to get a real life and quit worrying about what their neighbor might be doing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.