Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Helmet stench  (Read 5153 times)

Glenncarp

Helmet stench
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »

No helmet law in Fl, but turning 50 in a few months and decided to smarten up. I bought a Daytona DOT half helmet, it is awesome, light, and really comfortable. Only issue is in now STINKS from hair gel and sweat and I am sure bacteria.

Google told me to wash inside (non removable liner) with baby shampoo, did that 2X, still funky. Tried Febreeze, zero help.

Google also says use dryer sheets, put helmet in freezer overnight, spray with rubbing alcohol and even take helmet into shower and completely wash it then let it dry. Also read that a tea bag left overnight removes the odor. Also saw some sprays on Amazon.

Anyone have any experience with any of the above or different used ways to get rid of this head cheese smell????

Thanks in advance, can always count on the "boots on the ground" on this forum!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Helmet stench
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »

Spraying, dipping, dunking, cleansing and/or debriefing the foams or other anti-concussive paddings that make up the inside of a helmet with a non-removable line can't be good for the effectiveness of those paddings relative to their original task.  Given that you're starting with a pretty low-rent helmet to begin do you really want to take the chance of lowering its capabilities even more?

Spray it with Febreze and hope it helps.  If it doesn't use less of whatever it is in your hair that is making the gunk.  Or get a better helmet that will also have a removable liner you can actually wash.

A $65 head and brain should get a $65 helmet.  If your head and brain are worth a little more get a good lid. 

I run with a half helmet most of the time also.  I know it's a compromise.  It's at least a really good half helmet though.....

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 06:05:59 PM »

50 and still using hair gel...come on maaaaannnnn!!!!  Haha! Sorry couldn't resist.  Definitely get a better lid, try to find one with a removable lining.  I have a HD lid (with vents), looks like a mushroom but you eventually get used to it, it's very comfortable and the lining is removable and washable.  I quit wearing the novelty lids when my sister saw a guy's brains on the road after what would have been a walk-away accident; promised her I'd get a DOT.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »

Give this, or something like this a shot

http://www.galls.com/armorpur-body-armor-deodorizer

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »

Man, buy a real helmet with a quality removable anti stink washable lining. Really a Daytona helmet?

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »

Man, buy a real helmet with a quality removable anti stink washable lining. Really a Daytona helmet?

Ok, looking for advice on cleaning helmet I have, not advice on helmet I SHOULD have bought. No helmet to  DOT Daytona is certainly s step up. Try riding image helmet with temps in 90's in to most of year. So, anyone with advice on cleaning mine...awesome. advice in helmet I bought.....no thanks

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »

I just remove the liner and wash it with soap and water then tie wrap it to a fan, that will get me through the year then i order a new liner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »

Give this, or something like this a shot

http://www.galls.com/armorpur-body-armor-deodorizer

We used to use this stuff on our bunker gear and it works pretty dang good getting all kinds of funk out. But, we never had hair gel problems to deal with. :bananarock:

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »

Freebrease..Not sure about spelling
Bill

Glenncarp

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »

Freebrease..Not sure about spelling

Love Amazon, just ordered 2 bottles. Played and referees hockey for years, i now stink. Lol. 4 star reviewed. Fingers crossed
Thanks!

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »

Man, I wish I still had hair to put fell in. Well I when I did have long hair I didn't use gel. Sorry. I couldn't resist the Pun.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »

Ok, looking for advice on cleaning helmet I have, not advice on helmet I SHOULD have bought. No helmet to  DOT Daytona is certainly s step up. Try riding image helmet with temps in 90's in to most of year. So, anyone with advice on cleaning mine...awesome. advice in helmet I bought.....no thanks

You've kinda come to the wrong place to say s^*t like that  :huepfenlol2:  . 

Be well, it's an open forum.  So responses might be... well; open.  Take it as a compliment.  At least someone cares enough about your head to suggest good alternatives.  :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »

Also.... back to the original request.  You've got no removable padding or separation/boundary layer.  Consider the system you're working with and the stink inducing process involved.  Your stinkage and its gel and other chemical antecedents get in the pours of the foam that is part of the helmet.  Once in there they've found a home.  Anything you do to chase them out stands too good a chase of diminishing the foam's capability in the process.  Then, chunk, there goes your head.

Chalk the first helmet up to a learning curve.  Now you've learned and can move on a bit.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »

And.....  I had to replace a lid this past spring.  Have my good Nolan full dome but wear a half lid most of the time.  Here's one to consider that isn't terribly expensive either.  It's a half helmet that's actually vented.  It has a sliding down eye shield (that works much better than I ever expected it to).  Its liner is also de-stink-able.  I also really like the latch.  And the whole thing was still only about a hundred bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-Rebellion-Unisex-Adult-Motorcycle/dp/B018W7QI9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501293465&sr=8-1&keywords=ls2+rebellion

Anyone else have any really good helpful helmet suggestions to help a guy out here  :drink: ?

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »

And.....  I had to replace a lid this past spring.  Have my good Nolan full dome but wear a half lid most of the time.  Here's one to consider that isn't terribly expensive either.  It's a half helmet that's actually vented.  It has a sliding down eye shield (that works much better than I ever expected it to).  Its liner is also de-stink-able.  I also really like the latch.  And the whole thing was still only about a hundred bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-Rebellion-Unisex-Adult-Motorcycle/dp/B018W7QI9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501293465&sr=8-1&keywords=ls2+rebellion

Anyone else have any really good helpful helmet suggestions to help a guy out here  :drink: ?

Don, nice lid  :2vrolijk_21:

How's the weight of that bucket ?
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.