CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

Front forks rebuild?

(1/3) > >>

HOGMIKE:
I’m planning to do the 50k service on my 2019 cvo limited front forks now that I have about 80k miles on the bike!

When I bought the bike I remember the staff telling me that the forks were “upgraded” from the factory and were better.

Looking at the parts book the exploded view they look like the standard damper tube system as older models.

I’m thinking of adding the “gold valves” on the rebuild along with the service kit.

Any feed back to upgrade the front forks besides the full kit would be appreciated.
I really have no issues with the forks other than the fluid is probably pretty dirty.

TIA

:nixweiss:

pauly_2:
Hi Hogmike,

I’ve recently purchased the Bitubo cartridges for my 23 ultra limited. Not yet installed however so I cannot yet comment. I’d assume your CVO has better front suspension than my standard ultra, as (to be frank), it’s crap! I put some RWD shocks on the rear and it just highlighted even further how crap the front was, so I got the Bitubo. I’m waiting on a few more parts before I install them.

I’d suggest that if you have no issues at all, just rebuild them, put new oil in, and ride.

Thanks
Pauly2

GKroadking:
Hi,

that's amazing, I also ordered the Bitubo cartridges for the front fork this week. Installation is planned for the end of the year.

At the rear I have the adjustable HD 772 shock absorbers from Ohlins, which I am very happy with. So far I have always been dissatisfied with the front fork's response and damping. The corresponding Ohlins cartridges FKS 228 are significantly more expensive than the Bitubo and are also not available at the moment. There is a lot of positive feedback about the Bitubos and they come from the “motorcycle racing” country of Italy

If you are dismantling the fork for service purposes, I would always consider improvements such as springs, oil or cartridges.

https://bitubousa.myshopify.com/products/49mm-jbh-fork-cartridges

Take care

pauly_2:
That is amazing!
After spending $1700 on the rear shocks, the Bitubo front shocks seemed like good value at $1200. I’m hoping to install mine in the next month or so. We will have to compare impressions!
Thanks
Pauly2

KGB:

--- Quote from: HOGMIKE on November 20, 2023, 04:00:49 PM ---I’m planning to do the 50k service on my 2019 cvo limited front forks now that I have about 80k miles on the bike!

When I bought the bike I remember the staff telling me that the forks were “upgraded” from the factory and were better.

Looking at the parts book the exploded view they look like the standard damper tube system as older models.

I’m thinking of adding the “gold valves” on the rebuild along with the service kit.

Any feed back to upgrade the front forks besides the full kit would be appreciated.
I really have no issues with the forks other than the fluid is probably pretty dirty.

TIA

:nixweiss:

--- End quote ---

I used the Ohlins FKS 228 from Cycle Solutions in my 2019 Limited, I believed it was March of 2021 and they cost me $925.00 with the the two special tools and fluid, I purchased two seal kits with the bushings from Harley, pretty straight forward installation, made a big difference in the ride. The stock parts were pretty much the same as my 2016 Street Glide. but you are correct it did seem to ride better, but after installing the Ohlins it rode extremely better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version