Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: broken crankshaft  (Read 3339 times)

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
broken crankshaft
« on: September 24, 2004, 12:44:01 PM »

Hey has anyone herd this one?  The comesator nut on my 03 serk came loose and ruined the keyways on the flywheel  where the rotor goes. This is not coverd by warrenty because the nut is a maintenance item. Oh by the way my serk has 3100 miles on it. Has anyone herd of this, maybe it can help in my fight to save $2200.00. [smiley=cry2.gif]
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
Re: broken crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 01:13:34 PM »

Hey has anyone herd this one?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 01:14:06 PM by Glave »
'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 02:04:44 PM »

Check the last entry on this thread:  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=g1;action=display;num=1093032346 Looks like geezerglide had the same issue.   [smiley=nervous.gif]

As far as this being "a maintenance item", the compensator nut is retained with red locktite and torqued to spec at the factory.  Retorquing this nut at regular intervals would break the locktite. This in turn would allow vibration to loosen the nut.  

Further, because it is retained with locktight, the torque required (given the assumption that we all should be retorqing it)  would also include the force to break the nut loose.  This torque would be completely inaccurate.   In conclusion, it is a ridiculous arguement that this is a maintenance item.  They are apparently trying to get out an expensive warranty item.  Don't accept this answer.  Go gettum!!!! [smiley=brood.gif]

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 09:13:22 PM »

Hey has anyone herd this one?

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 11:38:53 AM »

My dealer is Manchester HD in NH, I belive it is not the dealer but the extended warrenty company because they had to come to look at it yesterday and they give the word to cover it or not. My dealer seems to be helpful in how they present the problem to extended warr. I to have had HD's before with no problems like this. They say it is a maint. item but also agree that there is no shedule to maintain, they don't check this item on any reg. maintaince shedule. I should know by Mon. if it will be covered. Thankx for the imput,   Droc
113 inch S.E.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 02:21:30 PM »

I'm with Twolanerider on this one.  It's not a "maintenance item" and I suspect that this answer came from the dealership and not HD.  If the local HD rep is saying this, then you need to write to the factory........and mention the rep by name and his response.  Tell your dealership that you'd like to talk with him (the factory rep) directly, to get a "first hand response".

This may turn out to be one of those situations where you need to get the consumer protection dept. of your local TV station involved.  I've been successful in taking that course of action, too.

I've owned lots of motorcycles and have put 100's of thousands of miles on bikes and have never had this problem.......and I ride hard.  I've heard of the problem, but it's not a huge problem.....a lot of people don't experience it.  3,100 miles is far too pre mature to experience this kind of failure and I think that any court would stand behind that!  You may have to pay for it then take HD to small claims court.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 11:26:25 AM »

Droc,
What was the dealer's (or service contractor's) final response to your crank problem?  Did they accept it as a warranty claim or renege on their responsibility?

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 12:01:01 PM »

They are going to cover the repair. The back ordered crankshafts with no release date is the next problem.  My Dealer is trying to find another dealer to open a 103 kit and sell the crankshaft out of it.  It seems that Manchester H-D is doing everything they can to help [smiley=nixweiss.gif], I guess anything is better than paying myself. Thanx for the help and concern  Droc [smiley=beerchug.gif]
113 inch S.E.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 11:15:57 PM »

When they shifted gears and decided to cover the repair what excuse or rationale did they offer?

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 09:08:09 AM »

They did not give an excuse the dealer just said, the extended warrenty co. said its covered and gave the dealer the approval # to fix when the parts come in. I did not want to push it, as long as I don't have to pay! And I think they found a crank for me and we may have it today [smiley=laugh.gif]
113 inch S.E.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 11:36:45 AM »

It's great that they're fixing and every bit as great that they may be getting it fixed soon now after the extended delay.  I'd have thought twice, however, about letting them escape with a simple "it's covered."  Getting an excuse for the change of position defines why the original denial was incorrect.  So the next time they try to deny a repair one might already have the needed ammunition in your back pocket to put a halt to the denial.

I can understand not wanting to do or say anything that might delay or jeopardize the repair.  So don't ask them the hard questions before they get the work done.  Ask them the hard questions once they've got it done.  Since they're no longer trying to justify a position or save the expense involved, and conversely trying to look like a good shop, they might be much more forthcoming with what might be very helpful answers.

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 10:09:04 AM »

Twolanerider, I feel very much the same way you do and will be looking for more info about why they made this so hard. After I pick up my fixed serk later today! [smiley=beerchug.gif]
113 inch S.E.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.