Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ouch!...rub marks from tour-pak backrest!  (Read 2315 times)

rasmusmi

Ouch!...rub marks from tour-pak backrest!
« on: October 26, 2004, 07:04:24 PM »

Just finished giving my 2003 SERK a good detailing for the upcoming 5 months of downtime  [smiley=thumbsdown.gif], and discovered - much to my dismay - two rub marks through the paint and down to the fiberglas under where the tour-pak backrest leather overlaps onto the top of the lid! I'm pretty PO'd at this obviously faulty design  [smiley=thumbsdown.gif].

Short of repainting this $1500 accessory (and probably having the same thing happen again  [smiley=oops.gif]), does anyone have any suggestions? I suppose some some of stick-on "button" or small  (quarter sized) medallion would cover these two small areas.

Anyway....just venting!   [smiley=furious.gif]

Thanks for any and all responses!

AllPork

Re: Ouch!...rub marks from tour-pak backrest!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 09:22:18 PM »

I know the area you're talking about. Had a narrow scuff mark from each side of the backrest on mine too. Fortunately they didn't penetrate the clear coat or paint on the tour-pak.

I only keep the tour-pak mounted for long trips but will try using a narrow piece of duct tape on the lid for protection from rubbing the next time it's mounted. Should be able to keep the tape hidden from sight.

Let us know what you come up with to resolve the problem.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 10:33:35 PM »

Take a look at this link to an item sold by an eBay vendor.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 10:35:33 PM by twolanerider »

rasmusmi

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 11:38:40 AM »

Is this something I should contact H-D Customer Service about?   [smiley=confused5.gif]

I rarely use the Tour-Pak, and my wife's got her own bike (a 2003 CVO SE Deuce), so I can't blame it on any body contact other than wind or vibration. The little protective tape pieces under the overlap, which somebody put on (factory?), were installed about 1 1/2 inches in too far, and the frame edge of the backrest which overlaps the top of the tour-pak is the culprit....very frustrated with this!
[smiley=furious.gif]  

Anyone have any suggestions??   Thanks, and ride safe, before old man Winter arrives!
[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.