Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windshield Mounting Issues  (Read 1630 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Windshield Mounting Issues
« on: March 26, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »

Many of you have added the passing lamps and or directionals to the normal RoadKing location utilizing the headlight nacelle bolts.  The black grommets (for lack of a better name) get squashed and make it almost impossible to mount the windshield.  From the factory they were distorted.  The hole behind them in the chrome nacelle allows the rubber to get sucked in distorting the piece.  I replaced the bushings at $5 each and torqued to specs, but I added a large chrome washer on the inside to prevent some of the distortion.

Does anyone else see this issue?

I'm working on what I think is the real fix.  The bushing should have a sleeve going thru that allows the tightening of the mount but the sleeve will keep the bushing loose enought to turn.  Similar to the wheel spacers. 

Thoughts?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
Re: Windshield Mounting Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:43:51 PM »

Actually it's a 70 druometer over low carbon steel. 
Crushing / pulling the rubber into the hole shouldn't be an issue. 
what torque value are you using? 
The original Acorn nuts get torqued 6-9 ft-lbs.

Sooiee
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »

Actually they were crushed from the factory.  They do not return to shape.  I've added the passing lamps so I went a bit tighter than the spec.   I also put a dab of clear silicone grease and it is now a non issue, unless it falls off.

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 03:28:24 PM »

I would recommend NOT putting anything on the rubber.  What can and HAS happened is this. 
you'll park your bike.  Warm breezy day...all of a sudden a gust of wind comes from behind the bike/windshield.  Whoosh...off goes the windshield.  Actually the way it works is is swings forward and then goes slamming down onto the front fender, denting/scratching that and then it proceeds to fall onto the ground scratching up your windscreen. 
Ask me how I know this?   :'(    I came back to my bike only to find this. 

They should be a bit tough coming off and going on.  I had to replace my front fender on my original FLHRSEI (red) bike.  They will losen up over a bit of time and the more the deflector comes off and on.

I'd just hate to have this happen to someone else.  Those fenders are expensive!!!    ;)

Cheers, Sooiee
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:32:27 PM »

I'm planning on the passing lamps and relocation of the turn signals on a SERK that is due in soon.  I'm going to warn the tech to watch for this issue.  Thanks for the heads up!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 08:41:13 AM »

I would recommend NOT putting anything on the rubber.  What can and HAS happened is this. 
you'll park your bike.  Warm breezy day...all of a sudden a gust of wind comes from behind the bike/windshield.  Whoosh...off goes the windshield.  Actually the way it works is is swings forward and then goes slamming down onto the front fender, denting/scratching that and then it proceeds to fall onto the ground scratching up your windscreen. 
Ask me how I know this?   :'(    I came back to my bike only to find this. 

They should be a bit tough coming off and going on.  I had to replace my front fender on my original FLHRSEI (red) bike.  They will losen up over a bit of time and the more the deflector comes off and on.

I'd just hate to have this happen to someone else.  Those fenders are expensive!!!    ;)

Cheers, Sooiee

Thanks for the info.  What the heck is the function of those retaining clips?  They do not seem to do squat.

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 01:51:38 PM »

Thanks for the info.  What the heck is the function of those retaining clips?  They do not seem to do squat.

Take the deflector off and bend (retaining clips) them down pretty far.
If you've put anything on the rubber, hose it off with some brake cleaner. 
I can't stress it enough.   :2vrolijk_21:
It's not too bad on the shorty deflectors.  But get a full size windshield and even siting at a stop light with a strong gust coming up from behind, they'll want to sail right off with a little lubrication on those grommets. 

Good Luck,
Sooiee

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 11:44:27 AM »

Take the deflector off and bend (retaining clips) them down pretty far.
If you've put anything on the rubber, hose it off with some brake cleaner. 
I can't stress it enough.   :2vrolijk_21:
It's not too bad on the shorty deflectors.  But get a full size windshield and even siting at a stop light with a strong gust coming up from behind, they'll want to sail right off with a little lubrication on those grommets. 

Good Luck,
Sooiee

Took your advice, cleaned up the grommets.  I also completely readjusted the clips so that they actually lock the windshield on and you cannot pull it forward unless you lift the clips to install or remove.  It goes on with a nice click.

Thanks
 :mango: :orange: :jalapeno:

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.