Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Progressive Suspension  (Read 2190 times)

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Progressive Suspension
« on: April 03, 2007, 10:18:12 AM »

From what I have read to date it appears that the general consensus for the rear suspension on an 07 SERK would be the Progressive 440's when there is no need for "on the go" lowering. Am I correct? What about the Progressive I.A.S. (Inertia Active System)? Any plus or minus to them over the 440's? I read a couple of positive articles on them last night but never saw a direct comparison of them to the 440's. What is the correct size shock for an 07 SERK? I assume it is stated somewhere in manuals but don't have them with me. tia, jj. 

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Progressive Suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:22:57 AM »

From what I have read to date it appears that the general consensus for the rear suspension on an 07 SERK would be the Progressive 440's when there is no need for "on the go" lowering. Am I correct? What about the Progressive I.A.S. (Inertia Active System)? Any plus or minus to them over the 440's? I read a couple of positive articles on them last night but never saw a direct comparison of them to the 440's. What is the correct size shock for an 07 SERK? I assume it is stated somewhere in manuals but don't have them with me. tia, jj. 

TJ,

I have the 440 IAS, for about 30k miles on my '99 and love them. Tons better than the stock shock. Without going the legend route, they get my vote for the best thing to do for the rear end.

Chief

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:32:15 AM »

TJ,

I have the 440 IAS, for about 30k miles on my '99 and love them. Tons better than the stock shock. Without going the legend route, they get my vote for the best thing to do for the rear end.

Chief
Chief,
Thanks for the response. I have no need for the legends nor did I want to take up any extra space with an air compressor, and as the IAS'c could be installed with or w/o air compressor I thought they should be considered. Have you had the opportunity to compare the 440 IAS to the regular 440?  jj 

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:51:06 PM »

Chief,
Thanks for the response. I have no need for the legends nor did I want to take up any extra space with an air compressor, and as the IAS'c could be installed with or w/o air compressor I thought they should be considered. Have you had the opportunity to compare the 440 IAS to the regular 440?  jj 

No, I haven't. I didn't even think they manufactured non-IAS 440's anymore.

Chief

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 12:56:08 PM »

Chief,

TJ...just for informational purposes, the Legend air compressor fits under the battery tray, so really takes up no usable space. If you have a California bike, then there's a charcoal cannister that has to be removed, but the compressor goes in the same spot.  Just didn't want you thinkin' that it had to go somewhere in the way, that's all....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »

TJ...just for informational purposes, the Legend air compressor fits under the battery tray, so really takes up no usable space. If you have a California bike, then there's a charcoal cannister that has to be removed, but the compressor goes in the same spot.  Just didn't want you thinkin' that it had to go somewhere in the way, that's all....
TC, Thanks for the info and please never hesitate to provide me with additional info as I probably did not know it, as in this case, but I am learning. So now that you have muddied up the waters,  ;D any significant differences between the handling and riding characteristics of the Legend and Progressive shocks? Other than to fix a flat tire (I learned that here) any other (bike related)  advantages to having an air  compressor on board?  I don't need the ability to immediately raise and lower my bike or at least I think I don't. I also noticed that the Progressive IAS could be used with or w/o an air compressor mounted on the bike. tia, JJ

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »

No, I haven't. I didn't even think they manufactured non-IAS 440's anymore.

Chief

Chief, I believe you are right and I am sorry for the confusion. I had looked at the Progressive Suspension web site and when looking at products they have a section for the 440's and Airtail IAS's. A closer look at the 440 info does indicate it has the IAS technology, as you stated.  Anyone have any experience with or info on the Airtails?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »

TC, Thanks for the info and please never hesitate to provide me with additional info as I probably did not know it, as in this case, but I am learning. So now that you have muddied up the waters,  ;D any significant differences between the handling and riding characteristics of the Legend and Progressive shocks? Other than to fix a flat tire (I learned that here) any other (bike related)  advantages to having an air  compressor on board?  I don't need the ability to immediately raise and lower my bike or at least I think I don't. I also noticed that the Progressive IAS could be used with or w/o an air compressor mounted on the bike. tia, JJ

TJ...I cannot do a comparison, as I've not ridden a bike with the progressives, but have heard they are very good shocks.  Certainly not as good as what might be available at some point in time, but very good, and far, far better than the stock units. 

I can, however, speak to the Legends, as I've had them on the bike for quite a while now, and a few thousand miles.  One reason for me was to get the bike lower when I needed it, mostly when I'm walking the bike around or parking it, backing up, etc.  They immediately stabilized the rear of the bike to the point of showing how weak the front fork suspension is. They are definitely a quality made product and have been around for years, with an excellent reputation for standing behind their product.  I ride two up on the Ultra 90% of the time, so the advantages for me are several...in traffic situations, I can drop the bike a couple of inches in the rear and have good footing and a more than decent ride. The Legends are not a good ride slammed all the way down, though they do still have some travel in the shock, it's just bouncey as hell. From an inch up to fully extended (3.25" of total extention) the ride gets more and more compliant, depending on load. What I personally like about them is the ability to adjust the firmness and ride characteristics of the rear end on the bike, depending on road conditions and characteristics, and do it "on the fly" by just pushing the button on the handlebar switch.  You soon learn by feel where the best settings are for the load, etc.  I personally think they help eliminate some of the flexing between the swingarm and the rest of the bike.  They are expensive as hell though.  What the air does is act as a preload, to firm everything up, but the shocks themselves have what I consider to be really good damping/rebound qualities.

The ability to adjust the rear shocks whenever I need to makes the Legends worth it to me.  But that's just me, and it suits my purposes well.

The install is relatively simple, and as mentioned, the little compressor slides into a track already under your battery box, plug in the wires for the switch, wire it up to the battery, bolt on the shocks, route the air tubing and you're done.  Takes two to four hours, depending on how you want to route wires, etc.

The cool factor of being able to lower the bike when parked is pretty damn neat though...sure gets people's attention when they see a bagger being slammed    :2vrolijk_21:

Ideally, if you don't need the height adjustment, or just want it, a really good shock with an easy way to adjust the preload would be the ticket (not just a spring spanning wrench).  Nobody makes one for our bikes that I'm aware of.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

bdas2

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »

I also have the legend air shocks...15k and no problems. I install the air compressor between the saddle bags works great and easier to get to if needed.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.