Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windshield Bag '08 SERK (FLHRSE4) - Any Suggestions?  (Read 2510 times)

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
Windshield Bag '08 SERK (FLHRSE4) - Any Suggestions?
« on: January 11, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »

I have an '08 SERK and I'd like to put a windshield bag on it but because of the bolt pattern on the stock windshield (7 across and 1 below on each side / 9 total) I can't find one that I know for sure will work.  I really don't want to spend the money to swap out the shield just so that I can have a windshield bag.

Anyone have any suggestions on bags that will work or maybe any workarounds?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Windshield Bag '08 SERK (FLHRSE4) - Any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »

I have an '08 SERK and I'd like to put a windshield bag on it but because of the bolt pattern on the stock windshield (7 across and 1 below on each side / 9 total) I can't find one that I know for sure will work.  I really don't want to spend the money to swap out the shield just so that I can have a windshield bag.

Anyone have any suggestions on bags that will work or maybe any workarounds?

Redrill 2 new holes in the bag to line up with the existing W/S bolts. You can center it that way. You might need a lil longer bolts for those 2 holes too. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »

Yeah... figure I might have to do something like that... I thought that I would check to see if I could find something made for it before I go that route though...

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:10:21 PM »

Redrill 2 new holes in the bag to line up with the existing W/S bolts. You can center it that way. You might need a lil longer bolts for those 2 holes too. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I still don't think it will fit.

I was at the Rapid City HD shop this past Sturgis and they had the 105th Annie windshield bag and I bought it for the '08 SERK smoked wind deflector.  I knew the holes would be off, but bought it anyway.  I got out to the bike in the parking lot looked it over, even redrilling won't help.  The wind deflector framework is too short (low) and the bag even if redrilled, will not clear the indicator panel on the nacelle.  The standard RK frame work is several inches higher at the cross piece and they work great on them, as you already know.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:13:14 AM »

I still don't think it will fit.

I was at the Rapid City HD shop this past Sturgis and they had the 105th Annie windshield bag and I bought it for the '08 SERK smoked wind deflector.  I knew the holes would be off, but bought it anyway.  I got out to the bike in the parking lot looked it over, even redrilling won't help.  The wind deflector framework is too short (low) and the bag even if redrilled, will not clear the indicator panel on the nacelle.  The standard RK frame work is several inches higher at the cross piece and they work great on them, as you already know.

Oops! Can you relocate the metal bar to the bottom of the inside the bag, raising the bag higher on the W/S? :confused5: :nixweiss:

I never bothered with that W/S. Best thing is to replace it now and get it over with. You'll be much happier with the regular W/S! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 08:13:39 AM »

Dealer sells a bracket that mounts right above the cross bracket on the windshield then the bag mounts to it, still have to drill holes in windsheild.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »

I agree with Hoist on this, replace the wind deflector with a full on RK assembly.

I used the wind deflector a few days in Sturgis because it looks cool and all I wanted was a little wind break.

As I remember the mounting back "C" channel bag would have ended up about 2" above the cross stainless support.  If you had a riser made that bolted to maybe 3 of the center bolts and then had a hole in the top about 2" to 3" higher, that would work.  Maybe the bracket SERK3 talks about will do the trick for you.

I normally ride with the full RK windshield with a Boss Bag on the windshield.  I can use the RK windshield on my '76 FLH as well.  All I had to do was rotary grind out about 1/16" in the bottom inverted "U" mount.  It still fits the new SERK just great.

Good luck with your bag.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

freshkeg

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »

Formotion makes a bracket that raises your windshield bag up enough to clear your headlight, I think Drag Specialties sells them. It's a nice looking chrome bracket.

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »

Thanks to all of you for the input.  I had actually already ordered a windshield bag prior to opening the thread and after reading through the comments called the dealer to try stop it.  They say they are "sure it will work"... Based on all of the feedback here I tell them I am "sure that it won't"... guess I'll let it come in and go prove it to them...   ;)

Again... I appreciate the comments.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.