Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: FLHRSEI Problems  (Read 9071 times)

cocacolaalan

FLHRSEI Problems
« on: June 01, 2003, 10:15:27 PM »

Has anyone had any problems with your 2002 FLHRSEI? My voltage requlator went out at 1,200 miles. Primary leaked at 1,434 miles. Front fender clear coat peeled at 2,234. Transmission leaked at 2,456. Chrome bubbled on outer primary at 2,987 miles. Chrome bubbled on after lifter block at 3,123 miles. Today (4.567 miles) my engine light came on. Harley has been great about fixing everything execpt the peeling front fender. My dealer had to send digital pictures to HD and they finally fixed it.
                                                          Al

mfgreen

Re: FLHRSEI Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 10:27:17 AM »

Has anyone had any problems with your 2002 FLHRSEI? My voltage requlator went out at 1,200 miles. Primary leaked at 1,434 miles. Front fender clear coat peeled at 2,234. Transmission leaked at 2,456. Chrome bubbled on outer primary at 2,987 miles. Chrome bubbled on after lifter block at 3,123 miles. Today (4.567 miles) my engine light came on. Harley has been great about fixing everything execpt the peeling front fender. My dealer had to send digital pictures to HD and they finally fixed it.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 12:59:34 PM »

the only problem ive had was chipped chrome on the tank panel, i showed it to the dealer and it was replaced,

welcome to the site
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

IndySE

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 11:53:27 PM »

Very minor fit/finish issues I have noticed is the small chrome piece that is located where the lid lips under, it came loose from the lid.  It looks like it should be rivited but seems to only be glued on.  So I super glued it back on.  There is a crack on the rubber cover over what would be he passing light switch and other rubber pieces seem to be cracking - like where the wind shield mounts.  Front brakes have always made too much noise also.  But nothing serious, thank God - but then again I just turned 2,000 miles. Purchased bike late last year and the season is just starting..

ashcraft

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 09:55:26 AM »

Have a 2K2 SERK with 6000m. Noticed the brake hand lever is slowly getting closer to the handlebar before I have any front brakes. There are no leaks, and the local H-D dealer says it is a function of the dual disc brake pads wearing down.  Examined and measured them and they are still well above 1/8" thick top and bottom. Someone suggested it might need a rebuild of the master cylinder [weak return spring.] Any ideas, and has anybody else seen this problem.
Haven't seen this before on my last bikes with dual discs.
2K2 SERK, purple
2K3 FF Electra-glide Classic

TURK

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 10:46:55 AM »

ashcraft,
Yesterday I turned 900 miles with my bike. I remembered your post and made a point to check the brake lever before I got home. It is as stiff as it was the day I got the bike. I drove the 900 miles in city streets and up and down the hills trying to stay at places I could drive at 55 mph and below. The brakes got used plenty.
In spite of my ample use of the brakes there is no noticeable brake lever travel. It must be something else, not brake pads wearing down. Not with the few miles you have on your bike.

TURK
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 01:17:44 AM by TURK »

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 02:26:19 PM »

I have a 2003 SERK and have noticed from day 1 a white chalky material appears on anything left in the saddlebags.  I assume it has something to do with the fiberglass process,  but I am not sure.  Anyone else having this problem and more importantly,  what is the fix.
Thanks
Greg  
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

SERK103

• Full CVO Member
  • ride it like you stole it !!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 08:20:04 PM »

IROAR===that is the fiberglass inside "rubbing away". the fix is too cover any and all sharp, metal, plastic objects/  secure properly as well.
stock for now

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 08:29:23 PM »

IROAR, did you get liner bags with the bike? they came with the 02's helps keep anything from rubbing directly against the fiberglass
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 06:31:58 PM »

I guess the 2003 SERK is a genuine Harley.  Mine has been in the shop as a result of oil leaks.  The oil cooler for the 2nd time started leaking at the hose connection, the primary cover is leaking,  and there has been some oil around the air filter.   I have around 7k miles on the bike and started using the sync 3 at 5k.  Anyone else having these problems ???
Thanks in advance

stroker

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 10:32:58 AM »

Hey IROAR....after reading your post on oil leaks I went out and checked underneath my SERK and sure enough there was Harley-Blood on the floor.  I have made an appointment to have it taken care of.  It's obviously under warranty, so they will take care of the problem.  It just irkes you to spend what we do on bikes and have these issues.  

STROKER

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2003, 11:27:05 AM »

This is a continuation of my last post which discussed oil leaks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 03:56:25 PM by GregLyon »

jbserk

• More Power
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2003, 11:49:29 AM »

Anybody else have an offset fuel tank.  My tank is about 1/4 inch off to the right.  Been through normal customer support and then through HDs monthly evaluation board.  Denied my claim, even with pictures.  Say that it's within HD tolerances!!!  Alot of reasons to be pxxxed but the main ones are:  1) a bike of this value shouldn't have fitment problems at all AND when I'm cruising and look down at tach or speedo, and see the offset, I tend to lean left to compensate (kind of a subconsious equlibrium thing).  What can I do [smiley=nervous.gif] to get what I paid for?

Of course, when I purchased the bike, the excitement and glisten of the gold paint completely distracted me from this kind of detail...

Thanks.

Shadow

• Harleys Rule!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 01:14:27 AM »

jbserk,

I have noticed the tank offset on my 2003 serk.  I walked around my bike several times trying to figure out whether it was supposed to be that way.  I have thought about the offset occasionally since, but never thought to make mention of this to the dealer.  I am now a little more disturbed about this.

Another complaint that I have is that I am also rubbing the chrome off the air cleaner cover while riding.  The air cleaner is right where my right thigh normally rests.  I did not have this problem on the FXDL I had before this.   I am going to take this into the dealer to get fixed.  The problem showed up at about 1200 miles.

Shadow
'03 FLHRSEI2
Hooker Slip-ons
SE EFI Chip Upgrade
SE High Flow Air Kit
Kuryakyn Switchblade Highway Footpegs
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offsets
Passenger Chrome Footboards
Chopped Tour-Pak w/ Quick R

jbserk

• More Power
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 06:42:28 AM »

Please let me know the outcome.  I was denied saying that it was within HD manufacturing tolerances.  Clearly they don't establish their threshold and tolerances on a Quality Plan that's based on customer satisfaction.

By the way...  it is NOT supposed to be that way and it isn't part of a design to offset.  Look at other Road Kings.

Cheers.

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2003, 02:03:05 PM »

I must be lucky I have 12K and I ride her. Not a peep. She runs great looks great and never a proble. I treat her well and keep her service. I guess I was lucky. Knock wood I hope the sh__ don't hit the fan now that I said this.

onevtwinlover

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all about the ride
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2003, 03:10:02 PM »

I've got 16,000 on mine and only had a couple of very minor problems.  Minor fuel leak at the disconnect at the tank, and rubber trim piece coming loose...both were fixed easily.  I do get a little blow-by or "carry over" oil when running at high speed for long periods of time. (above 70mph)  This is a pretty common problem, especially with the 95 & 103 ci motors because of the increased volumn of air being moved in the crankcase as the pistons travel up and down.  American Iron magazine had a lengthy piece written about the subject in the November 2003 issue.  It's a little bit annoying but not near as bad as on earlier model HD's.  All in all, I rate the bike an A+ and wouldn't trade it for nothing.

Snowed in and wish I was out on her now!!!

jbserk

• More Power
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2003, 01:15:43 AM »

Couldn't believe it!!!   After being denied my claim for the offset tank, I went to the monthly HD review board (corporate).  They upheld the denial and received a letter stating such about three weeks ago.  Didn't know where else to turn so kind of just mulling over it, asking myself if I could possibly get used to the defect.  Well... yesterday out of the clear blue, got a call from my dealer.  The sales manager told me that they were going to order me a new tank!!!  It might have had something to do with the service runaround that I got for 3 months; last time I left the dealer I indicated that I was cancelling my maintenance and taking my business elsewhere.  Sales manager said that service hadn't said anything to him but I still suspect that word got out that I was livid about the treatment from service.  Whatever the case may be, I'm getting a new tank which will make my bike PERFECT!  Thought this might give hope to others that have the quality issues with a 30k ride.  Cheers.

scre103

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2003, 09:37:17 PM »

i have a 03 serk. i've got the paint match problem on the bag and chopped pack lids. the lids  have a bluish tint to them. sent in digital pics to the techies and they sent news ones with no fuss. i still have to have them installed yet.

everyone check how close the rear bag hinge is to the gold painted filler strip. the right hinge is way close to the filler strip and when the bike is running, the vibration is causing the hinge to hit the strip. the paint is gone there and rust is setting in. i'm sending my dealer photos (best to remove the bag for this) and he will forword these to the techs. will see what happens. i will insist that this strip gets replaced  for what this bike cost me, and my marriage- ha ha

merry christmas

scre
03 flhrsei2
01 motoguzzi v11 sport rosso mandello
87 honda elite 150 scooter(for the kids)
se high flow air kit
kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs
se efi chip
se performance mufflers
chopped tour pack
standard clea

Shadow

• Harleys Rule!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2004, 11:17:23 AM »

Sorry that it took me so long to get back on this.  I went to the dealer about my tank offset problem at my 1500 mile maintence check-up.  They fixed the problem right there.  It was simply a matter of rpulling off the tank and ealigning it.  Problem solved.
'03 FLHRSEI2
Hooker Slip-ons
SE EFI Chip Upgrade
SE High Flow Air Kit
Kuryakyn Switchblade Highway Footpegs
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offsets
Passenger Chrome Footboards
Chopped Tour-Pak w/ Quick R

flhrsei2Canada

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2004, 01:43:25 PM »

I discovered this site by accident, I never used a site like this so here is my first reply to FLHRSEI problems.  I bought a 2003 FLHRSEI2 on September 8 2003 with 20kms on it.  Trailered it home. rode it the first time 30 km (18 miles). The second ride was 160 km (100 miles).  The next day after the second ride I notice oil underneath the bike on the garage floor.  I phoned the dealer of course.  To make a long story short I took the bike to my closest dealer which is 550 km from home.  They said the problem was the o-ring on the speed sensor.  So the problem is suppose to be corrected, I am not sure because I didn't get a chance to ride it again because winter arrived.  I can say I was deeply disappointed to spend a considerable amount of money on a bike and have it leaking oil on the second ride @ less than 200 kms.  Because I so far from a Harley dealer it cost me over $400 dollars for gas, meals and hotel to get the bike fixed and my dealer never offered any assistance on this item.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2004, 04:46:56 PM »

I discovered this site by accident, I never used a site like this so here is my first reply to FLHRSEI problems.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2004, 07:43:05 PM »

I have a 2002 SERK with 2900 miles on it. Had it at the dealer today and asked about a couple of the issues you are all talking about here. I have the offset problem with the tank. I can't figure out what is offset however. At first I thought it was the dash, then the riser cover, etc. The bottom line is that the fork lock does not line up correctly with the dash and it bothers the hell out of me. The service guy brought the "oldest wisest mechanic" out to look at it and he said it looked like a handlebar got tweaked when I ratchet strapped it into a truck. He said the riser cover and nacelle needed to be reinstalled and screws tweaked in sequence. (Guess I just looked stupid and he had to get back to work.) Decided not to call him on his bullchit.

Also, I had them bleed the front brakes because I have an inordinate amount of lever travel. Thye said everything was fine but they could not figure out why there was so much travel. More bullchit.

Oh well.

02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

ashcraft

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 09:24:38 AM »

Had the same problem with lever travel. I replaced the piston(?) and seals inside the master cylinder, and did not cure the problem. My brake is still good, but there is more travel than on any other dual-disc touring H-D bike I ever had.
My mechanic said it "was because I had dual disc's, the brake pads were worn down (at 2K miles) and this allowed more travel." New brake pads, new piston, same travel.
If you cure it, please post it.
2K2 SERK, purple
2K3 FF Electra-glide Classic

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2004, 04:26:34 PM »

FYI, I had this problem on ......dare I say it.......a goldwing (there I said it!) it turns out that on GLs the portion of the lever that actuates the piston in the master cylinder wears out. after replacing everthing still had the problem....replaced the lever itself..problem fixed. Saw this fix on a GL website. Maybe the HD levers have the same problem. Don't know but it's worth a try. Hope it helps [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 04:27:49 PM by gb »
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

Road_Hog

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2004, 09:16:24 AM »

Rode my SERK home after a service and saw there was a small amount of oil residue coming from out the oil cooler.  Anyone know if this is normal?  I wiped it off and we'll see if it continues or not.  The dealer said it was probably just residual.  Put the synthetic in, wonder if that had something to do with it?

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2004, 10:04:40 AM »

Regarding the leaky oil cooler.  It has happened to me 2x.  Appears the clamps used to fasten the cooler to the oil filter on the cooler side allow some of the oil to seep out.  I have seen people remove the HD facory clamps and use very small hose clamps in their place.  Hope that helps.

gb

• Full CVO Member
  • Love the open road.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2004, 06:04:09 PM »

I Be one of those people! [smiley=smoking.gif]. I was on a road trip and noticed the leak. You can see the hose moving while the engine is idling. Walked into a checker and bought a couple hose clamps and replaced them on the spot. Never leaked again. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
18,900 I gotta slow down!.

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2004, 10:22:42 AM »

I've got 16,000 on mine and only had a couple of very minor problems.
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2004, 01:37:46 AM »

Ok, so far I have had  dealer figure out the spongy front brake lever but not the so-called tank offset. In fact, a dealer told me nothing could be done about the offset and allowed me to ride three other Road Kings that  had the exact same "offset". According to this dealer the alignment on the bike was perfect but I would never get the forklock to line up with the speedo dead center. His response was "thats the way they all are". When he showed me the three other bikes I finally believed him. I'm disappointed that a $28,000 motorcycle comes this way but what are you going to do. Would love to hear from the guy who after complaining all the way up to the Pope was being sent a new tank. Did it fix it?

Anyway, re: the brakes. It seems one of the pads was misaligned in the caliper and was causing a spongy lever. They split the calipers and rehung the pads and fixed the problem.
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 21 queries.