Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 118636 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »

Hmmmmmm

Well of course that would be "news" to me, that HD produces "side plates" that fit a Dyna also fitting an FXR in order to allow for a installation of a "quick release detachable" sissy bar and rack combo, just remember guys any HD Part # that fits a 2003 or later Dyna "might" have a more difficult time fitting an FXR since the 2003 + model years have a 150mm tire on the back with a wider fender for fitment....which "might" alter the fitment requirements for an FXR.

I am sure there are plenty of other FXR Owners that would appreciate knowing for sure if such is available to them, they were sure nice to have on my previous Dyna Low Rider, and of course are quite nice to have for my RKC.

(Anyway, I am unable to make use of the "quick release detachable" side plates along with a sissy bar and rack combo even if they proved to work since I have "altered" my FXR2 to accommodate the FXRS-CONV Leather Saddlebags which required the relocation of my turn signals and now 1 of the 3 attachment points for the leather saddlebags recepticles uses the turn signal location which wouldn't allow for a "post" for the quick release to attach itself to.) Since the saddlebags of course offer a "quick release" attachment to the FXR, I will "suffer" lol through with not having the "quick release" for the rack and and sissy bar, not affording me such "luxury"....sure would have been nice to have both however.....

Regards,

Tim

OK, let me first make my DISCLAIMER ............  I AM NOT and expert about motorcycles, or motorcycle parts and model fitment ............

this is as question more than anything else.

Looking in the HD 2008 parts manual on page 172

wouldn't these following part numbers fit on a 1999 FXR4 providing for a detachable side plate set up ?

on page 172, under the following category
Dyna Docking Hardware for detachable reack and sideplates
there are 7 choices for docking hardware for the detachable sideplates

picking the 4th one down in the list, it gives the fitment of:
1996-2001 FXD, FXDL, & 1999 FXDX

which is Docking Hardware kit part # 53527-95A

matching up with that docking kit you have two choices of detachable side plates (listed along with the docking kit) and also shown at the bottom of the page as items number A-7 & 8
part numbers 53543-95A (chrome) & 53834-00A (wrinkle black)

inquiring minds want to know      :D
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2008, 10:47:26 AM »

FXDX  is the part that makes me wonder with the detahables.  I'm totally new to the P&A catalog sections other than Multi Fit, Touring, Softail, and SE.
In the Sissy bar uprights Page 173, it clearly says 82-00 FXR.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2008, 10:51:42 AM »

Same as Dyna's. ;)

OK, pics are here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25958.msg468655#msg468655

SB Low Upright P/N 52655-84
Low BR Pad P/N 52614-95
Sport 4-Bar Luggage Rack P/N 53711-96A

Simple swaps! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Howie

As always you have done an outstanding job on this scooter. I'm talking with my son on a paint job for Eve. I was thinking restoring it to the original black paint scheme and decal or black with silver ghost flames or black.....  I think I'm seeing a trend here!

The GW in the background was my last non-harley. Vetter fairing and bags. Good for trips. The kids stopped the trips for a while. Now I go on them with my kids!
JW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2008, 10:53:17 AM »

Dyna sideplates won't work on an FXR. The fender struts are setup differently. The sissybar uprights and racks work universally between them and Sportsters up to '01. But the sideplates are different for these models. HD never offered detachables for FXR's. The convertible has removable W/S and Saddle Bags, but not setup like the modern detachable collection they have today. I found no detachable sissy bar or luggage rack hardware for these bikes. The racks work with both detachable and fixed sideplates. ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:54:48 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »

Thanks, Tim.  You should be writing an FXR manual.  It seems whatever we think about, you've done it.  Which sissy bar did you purchase as far as height goes?  I'll be placing a bag like you have on the luggage rack and want the most support I can.  Can you measure the height from the top surface of your luggage rack to the top of the sissy bar please?  My SAC bags have the pockets still inside for the low Deuce sissy bar/ backrest pad.  
This site is even better when you have two CVO's!

to be continued....

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2008, 10:54:52 AM »

continued from above.....

skreminegul07,

LOL, I have been accused of much worse.....lol for my length of writing.....you are too gracious....lol....actually I must admit as we would all agree these "CVO" FXR's the 2, 3, and 4 were all nicely appointed bikes for a model that was no longer being made and while each "CVO" model has some distinctive differences that allow each of us choices between the models for the most part most of the "chrome" is in place.....so there are subtle changes one can make to create what they desire whether it's a "bar hopper" a "day rider" or a "tourer".  My friend who introduced me originally to the FXR has a great mind for detail and for pondering what would make the most practical sense when it comes to modifying one's FXR for different purposes.....so as a practical matter on the FXR2 (for me personally) the front tire found itself as a debatable issue, the handle bar width became a debatable issue only because I have 10" Wild One Mini Apes on my 2002 RKC and they are 35" wide approximately thus I needed something that would be wider on my FXR as when I was jumping between bikes the OEM 28" Wide FXR2 bars just were way too narrow, the front braking seemed to lack the same stopping power as my heavier 2002 RKC keeping in mind that I realize the RKC has dual brakes, while yet realizing that the FXR is approximately 150 lbs lighter and should stop easier regardless of whether it has only one caliper vs 2 calipers thus also a debatable issue that the evo brakes just weren't providing the stopping power I felt I desired, Since HD had already decided that the purpose of the FXR was to be a "lighter" touring option, (if you haven't already I encourage you to visit this THREAD, "FXR HISTORY" here is an easy link, simply as you know but for others who aren't place your curser over the address below, click your curser, view, and read as both interest and time allow, you will find within the THRREAD many participating to offer help to all of us regarding a more clearer idea about the model of the FXR,) here is the link:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.0

to continue what I was saying above, with the touring option, thus making the bike "tour ready" has several options, Blaine (elvislee) has modified his FXR4 to accommodate bags which has proved very suscessful for him, my modification goes back to an actual FXRS-CONV modeled FXR as it was featured.....which alllows one to either run the bags or not.....the funny thing is once you start running bags....they are so convienient that to not have them on all the time becomes more difficult....lol, perhaps HD knew what they were doing back in 1989 when they began the Convertible model to begin with, of course many have chosen alternative "cams", Mikey (fxr4mikey) is getting ready to put new screamin eagle heads and certainly Mike (REDFXR2) has personally had success with this modification, some of us eventually may see enough miles where putting 10 thousandths over pistons and beefing up our engines may become the norm, but most of us need more miles to make that a resolve, but I must say there is ALWAYS HOWIE, lol.....I have my POPCORN ready.... :vrolijk_11: so what's my point, there are simply debatable issues such as:
1) Front wheel/tire
2) Front Brakes
3) Handlebars
4) Saddlebags
5) Engine Mods

So as you can see when you break our "CVO" FXR's down, and as they are nicely appointed already there really is a "finite" amount of modifications one really has available to them depending on their use of the bike.  I asked you how tall you were over in your other thread, didn't see you respond, lol my posts are so long I wouldn't be surprised that you would even remember me asking the question, so how tall are you with boots on?  This question goes to the relevancy of needing forward controls....of which I would have an opinion....LOL gee now that's a surprise...LOL. 

Contrary to some but a point made last month in a different section of this website when a discussion of a GTG was being brought up about for us as FXR "CVO" Owners, there was a quick comment made by hogasm (reply #211) about a buddy of his, "......that One of my riding buddies has a 84 1/2 FXR first year evo. He wont trade or replace that bike for anything in the world.....right now it only has around 250,000 miles....." thus lol HD did make these bikes for touring purposes....lol now that's a touring bike!!!!!

So my point in all of the above is simply that I have made specific changes to my bike which for the most part are the changes we all pretty much have questions about....but the credit goes to the thoughtful of my buddy, he just loves spending my money....LOL.

Can you measure the height from the top surface of your luggage rack to the top of the sissy bar please?

skreminegul07~~~

From the top of the rack surface to the top of the "chrome sissy bar" that was selected and attached to my rack, ie: part number already provided to you in previous e~mail the measurement is 7 3/8".

From the top of the rack surface to the top of the "black vinyl sissy bar pad" that was selected and attached to my
rack, ie: part number already provided to you in previous e~mail the measurement is 8 1/4".

I just figured out your "screen name" lol skreminegul07 lol you have an 07 Sreamin Eagle....very good....lol.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:01:05 AM by FXR2evo99 »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »

Tim

Thanks for the measurements. 
As you listed:
1)I like the 19" tired, hated the Deuce 21"
2)I like having the improved brakes and dual rotors (like the SERK)
3)I have had beach bars and like those as well as drag bars with pullback from Wild Ones.
4)Used to carrying stuff, so a back on the siisy bar will be needed.  When you get old you need several eye glass options, sunglasses, etc.
5)I'm leaving the engine alone as I intended on the 110" SERK only it didn't leave me alone.

This is going to be fun!

I'm not tall, but long legged.  I like my legs unfolded and I don't use the RK floorboards except to rest my heels on. 
I'll give it a try with mid controls first.  That mod can wait til next year.

Thanks  for the sissy bar info. 

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »

here's an interesting 'detachable' bracket for sissy bar and luggage rack ..... it anint' what I'd call cheep, and it's not 'quick' detach, but less than 5 min and it's off or on

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=08df031f-2ce4-4512-8e86-90274eab1374&search=sissy+bracket+FXR&store=All&page=1
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »

here's an interesting 'detachable' bracket for sissy bar and luggage rack ..... it anint' what I'd call cheep, and it's not 'quick' detach, but less than 5 min and it's off or on

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=08df031f-2ce4-4512-8e86-90274eab1374&search=sissy+bracket+FXR&store=All&page=1

No drilling holes in painted parts
 :'(

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2008, 06:31:33 PM »

No drilling holes in painted parts
 :'(
:D :D :D

you got that right, NOT ON MY FXR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   OVER MY DEAD COLD BODY !!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »

As most, if not all of you, know, I'm about to do a build on my FXR4

I plan to start this in a few weeks, I'm SKERID  :nervous:

GOING To INSTALL:
SE Heads
Wood W6 cam
Rivera Taper-Lite chromoly ez install adjustable push rods
Billet Chrome lifter blocks
Mikuni HSR42 carb
Pro-Force AC and breather kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AIR-CLEANER-FOR-CARBURETOR-PARTS-FOR-HARLEY-EVO-MIKUNI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el11%2016QQitemZ350114640612QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAc%20cessories
Sifton max-axle lifters

ALREADY INSTALLED:

Compu-Fire programmable ignition (rev limit set at 6K - max advance 35degrees)
Single fire coil
V&H Straight Shots exhaust

I've NEVER taken an engine apart before.  And while I'm pretty good with tools, it's a bit scary

I have the service manual, I have the parts manual, I have ALMOST all of the parts, WITH the exception of:

1) shim stock for the cam
2) torrington inner cam bearing
3) gaskets - I have none of them YET, but I know of a thread here that lists them for me, THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for the past couple of months I've been reading and reading sections of the service manual, and it's pretty good, but missing some things for sure, as we already know this

My question is this:

Does anybody have a sequential listing of STEPS to take in order to do the build.  While the service manual gives details for various steps, it DOES NOT tell you which is the BEST sequence in which to execute the steps.

I plan to do to a couple of things here:

1) I will start a document of sequential steps to take, not the step details, but what to do and what order to do them in
2) get input to help insure the list is in the best order, and is as complete as I can make it, limited of course for these build steps
3) I will be taking pictures along the way and posting them here ....... along with all my troubles and successes along the way
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »

Mikey,
looking forward to following along on your journey doing the performance mods on your EVO.

Can anyone point out which laydown license plate bracket you are using?  HD?
Also, when you change to drag bars with risers, what do you do about the indicator lights on the bar beacket?

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2008, 03:20:11 PM »

Mikey,
looking forward to following along on your journey doing the performance mods on your EVO.
Thanks, it's gonna be FUN  :D

Can anyone point out which laydown license plate bracket you are using?  HD?
The one on my bike (and I can get better pics of it if you want) is a Kuryakyn one  I like it A LOT !!
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/0/scID/0/IMID/482

Fits: H-D: Any H-D Model with the standard 3-bolt mounted license plate bracket (Dyna, Sportster, Heritage, Fat Boy, etc.)
FITS FXR4 TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Also, when you change to drag bars with risers, what do you do about the indicator lights on the bar beacket?

I went the OTHER WAY ..... took off the drag bars and went to mini apes .... puts the bars higher and closer to me, for me, a much better riding position. Couple that with my Corbin saddle and it's not so hard to do 600+ miles in a day
[/color]
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »

ClassicRider

That's all I got ta say    LOL

I found you over there Tiim  :D

Funny thing is, I found you today  AFTER I posted up a link over here to the HISTORY thread in the General HD Conversation thread over there

:D :D :D :D

:2vrolijk_21:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »

5)I'm leaving the engine alone as I intended on the 110" SERK only it didn't leave me alone.

Skreminegul07~~~

Yes, I tell you what you guys and gals have had quite an interesting time with that 110 HD engine FOR SURE.

Did you guys see that American Iron is doing a 2 Part series on the problems of the 110 Engine, if you are not a subscriber to the magazine you will find the articles in the January 2009 [just came out for subscribers but may not be at your newsstands just yet] & February 2009 [not out yet even for subscribers]. 

As for the lay down license plate I used, it's a "custom chrome" one 49-0044 [priced at $24.84 in 2005] I am not sure whether the above part number is specifically for "custom chrome" or Drag Specialties, or from the indy dealer I got it from but I am providing it as a cross reference anyway....I should also mention that I am not sure how deep or shallow the back side of the kuryakn is, but the "custom chrome" one was deep enough that with some "dremmeling" application I was able to "alter" it enough to attach the nuts to secure the turn signal posts I used coming out of the sides of the lay down license plate.  Of course if one has no plans to alter one's turn signals then of course this would have no bearing on one's choice.

fxr4mikey.....

LOL, yes indeed.....I am "ClassicRider" over at V~Twin Forums.....and you are right I created a "THREAD" labeled "FXR HISTORY" in which I linked the "FXR HISTORY" Thread from the "FXR HISTORY" Thread here in the "FXR Section" over to V~Forum to bring folks over to the "FXR Section" of this website, hopefully to attract other FXR Owners to this website as well.....and I am "ClassicRider2002" over at Harley Tech Talk as well....and I linked the "FXR HISTORY" thread from here over to there as well to accommodate the same thing....I became members at both sites before becoming a member here....the "classicrider" aspect refers to the 2002 Road King Classic I also own and appreciate....lol....

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:48:11 AM by FXR2evo99 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 25 queries.