Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: How hot is too hot on 110s  (Read 10675 times)

cigarmike

Re: How hot is too hot on 110s
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »

And you are one of the lucky ones, because I know others that have, not to mention the numerous other problems related to these motors.  It seems as if there are many more problems with these 110's than they had with the 103's when they first came out with them.  If your 110 is problem free, as many are, I say count your blessings. JMHO too.

Amen to that, I really hate to say this, and I hope Im wrong, but I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg with the 110's as far as engine issues go. Who knows how these will do when they hit 20k, or 30k etc. and the warrantys are expired. My buddys a wrench at an L.A. dealership, he says, and I quote " The 110's are a p.o.s., MoCo really f-up, ed', and they know it. But its good for me, means lots of work"  btw, he's the guy with the least amount of senority in the service dept. And we all know how MoCo steps up when there is a potential problem that may mean lots of $$ fixing it. lol, oh wait, no they don't. They will keep pumping these out the factory door as fast as they can sell them and denie there is a problem. Again, thats just his opinion, and I really hope that he is wrong. Im also glad i didnt get rid of my '06 with the paint problem now, and get that '07 I was close to getting when the B&O first came out. GL guys.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 10:55:17 AM »

Amen to that, I really hate to say this, and I hope Im wrong, but I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg with the 110's as far as engine issues go. Who knows how these will do when they hit 20k, or 30k etc. and the warrantys are expired. My buddys a wrench at an L.A. dealership, he says, and I quote " The 110's are a p.o.s., MoCo really f-up, ed', and they know it. But its good for me, means lots of work"  btw, he's the guy with the least amount of senority in the service dept. And we all know how MoCo steps up when there is a potential problem that may mean lots of $$ fixing it. lol, oh wait, no they don't. They will keep pumping these out the factory door as fast as they can sell them and denie there is a problem. Again, thats just his opinion, and I really hope that he is wrong. Im also glad i didnt get rid of my '06 with the paint problem now, and get that '07 I was close to getting when the B&O first came out. GL guys.

I think, like any new line of product, there are going to be issues.  Every company likes to get their "latest and greatest" out to the buying public as soon as they can.  If they, the MoCo, had R&D'd this engine to the point of knowing all the failure points or potential problems, we may have seen it in another 5 or six years.  Unfortunately, in order for the MoCo to keep up with the "bigger is better" attitude that seems to be coming out of Japan, they have to put their product out sooner to keep up with the Jones'.  It's all about bottom line and the MoCo will, in their own way, be that bad or good, address the issues that come up with this new line.   I went into buying this bike knowing that I was getting a "first year" model, mainly because I wanted an Ultra and figured this would be the last year of the CVO Ultra for probably another 4 years.  So, unfortunately, just like when I buy a first year model of a car or truck, I expect problems to crop up...another reason why I got the extended service contract on my CVO too.  It was/is a chance I'm willing to take to get the bike I wanted.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »

If you love Harleys and plan on keeping the bike, it's not the "end all" if there are issues. HD will make good on defects if caught early enough, and there's nothing on this bike that can't be made better than new. Having owned Harleys for many years, I've spent more money on them than I'd like to admit. You do what you have to do to be happy with your bike. It's not a hobby to me, it's my life! I've been used to the HD Ownership Experience for quite some time. This isn't the first time for issues on a new release. If you're looking for a completely trouble-free bike (with no soul whatsoever) buy a Jap Bike or a BMW! You buy a Harley, you buy the idiosyncrasies that go with it! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2007, 12:15:30 PM »

It's interesting how we're talking about POS motors again. I think that is the kind of talk I was hearing in 1999 when the Twin Cam first came out. Anyone remember all the bitching and moaning about how the MoCo put out such a POS motor with exploding rear cam bearings? The 110 is no different. The 103 didn't have "first year itis" because it wasn't a new motor, just a stroked 95". Unless these things start grenading right and left, the weak points will be found and addressed and then we should have another dependable platform.

Problems, sure they suck, but it's all part of the game. If you don't want problems, go buy a Gold Wing.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2007, 12:21:59 PM »

go buy a Gold Wing.

1800 Wing

104    RWHP
109.9 Torque
898 lbs.

If I wanted to go slow I might consider one.
Alright, I have considered.
No wing for me.
Go fast or go home!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:24:16 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 12:42:19 PM »

It's interesting how we're talking about POS motors again. I think that is the kind of talk I was hearing in 1999 when the Twin Cam first came out. Anyone remember all the bitching and moaning about how the MoCo put out such a POS motor with exploding rear cam bearings? The 110 is no different. The 103 didn't have "first year itis" because it wasn't a new motor, just a stroked 95". Unless these things start grenading right and left, the weak points will be found and addressed and then we should have another dependable platform.

Problems, sure they suck, but it's all part of the game. If you don't want problems, go buy a Gold Wing.
Had a Wing....had problems.  Nothing is immune from problems. Actually, I had more problems with my Wing, then I ever had with any Harley I've ever owned....even my '80 AMF "Bowling-Ball" Sporty.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 01:04:48 PM »

If you love Harleys and plan on keeping the bike, it's not the "end all" if there are issues. HD will make good on defects if caught early enough, and there's nothing on this bike that can't be made better than new. Having owned Harleys for many years, I've spent more money on them than I'd like to admit. You do what you have to do to be happy with your bike. It's not a hobby to me, it's my life! I've been used to the HD Ownership Experience for quite some time. This isn't the first time for issues on a new release. If you're looking for a completely trouble-free bike (with no soul whatsoever) buy a Jap Bike or a BMW! You buy a Harley, you buy the idiosyncrasies that go with it! Hoist! 8)
id·i·o·syn·cra·sy –noun, plural -sies.
1. a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual. 
2. the physical constitution peculiar to an individual

Idiosyncrasies?  I would consider most of the problems experienced with the 110's as more than idiosyncrasies.  It seems that the ones that give trouble, give LOTS of trouble.  Tell the guy whose motor locked up, dumped him and totaled his bike that it was due to an idiosyncrasy in the motor.  More like an idiot-syncrasy from the moco for releasing these motors, and continuing to release them with numerous known problems.  They are by most accounts POS motors, folks are spending big bucks getting them to run right and keeping them running, and I for one am glad that I don't own one. :soapbox:  O.K., I'm off it now.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 01:29:27 PM »

1800 Wing

104    RWHP
109.9 Torque
898 lbs.

If I wanted to go slow I might consider one.
Alright, I have considered.
No wing for me.
Go fast or go home!

Plus they look like a Gold Wing, and that's even worse than heavy/slow.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »

id·i·o·syn·cra·sy –noun, plural -sies.
1. a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual. 
2. the physical constitution peculiar to an individual

Idiosyncrasies?  I would consider most of the problems experienced with the 110's as more than idiosyncrasies.  It seems that the ones that give trouble, give LOTS of trouble.  Tell the guy whose motor locked up, dumped him and totaled his bike that it was due to an idiosyncrasy in the motor.  More like an idiot-syncrasy from the moco for releasing these motors, and continuing to release them with numerous known problems.  They are by most accounts POS motors, folks are spending big bucks getting them to run right and keeping them running, and I for one am glad that I don't own one. :soapbox:  O.K., I'm off it now.

Well let's see. The shovelheads were considered POS. Hmmm, they were around many years, with their inferior quality control, and Harley guys stayed loyal. They're still on the road. Early Evo's, porous cases, bad cams, spun bearings. The Evo was the best motor they built at that time. They still replace bad cases from older Evo's today. TC 88, bad cam bearing design, leaned out carb models that spit and coughed better than they ran. Became the most reliable motor ever. Bad 110" bikes, motors replaced. Bad starter ring gears, entire clutch assembly replaced.

I work for a major Air Conditioning manufacturer. Design a new product and get it on the streets. If it's not right, we'll fix it in the field. That's Corporate America today. Shareholders come first! Increase revenue, growth, higher profits. This is what drives these corporations, not making sure they have the absolute best, most reliable product. How a company deals with their issues, determines how they're judged and where their market share goes. Brand name loyalty has a role in this too. HD has about the highest brand loyalty that you can ask for. Don't think for a minute they don't know that. Do they take advantage of it? Damn straight. Do they test our patience and push us to the brink? Yeah, they sure seem to do that too. Do they eventually make good? IMO, yes they do. There will aways be folks that slip thru the cracks, and can't get satisfaction. They lose these customers. But the loyal ones stick with it and eventually get satisfaction.

A Harley is a labor of love and a passion. Do we put up with more than most would for other products. You bet your ass! Why? Cause we have that passion and HD knows it. Will it stop us or prevent us from buying another one. Some people yes, most people no. It depends on that level of passion you have. POS, I say not! This ain't no rocket ship! Anything on the bike can be replaced with stronger, better chit. It's a motorcycle. Relatively simple stuff. We have a fantastic site, with many brilliant people participating. We find out everything there is to know about these bikes. We know more than most dealers do about our bikes. If you're looking for a completely trouble-free ownership experience, don't buy a Harley. Would I buy anything else? F NO!!!

Yep, idiosyncrasies! That's what I call it, I stand by it, and am willing to deal with it!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 03:15:45 PM »

My $.02 - even though things are not perfect they are so VERY much better than they were that there is no comparison.  Not only our Harleys but our cages.  Just look at the absolute crap Detroit and yes many of the foreign brands were putting out not all that long ago.  Sure you cannot catch every single possible contingency during development but the quality is much, much better than it has ever been.  jmho

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 22 queries.