Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WAZE and CarPlay Lock Out - Calling all Coders and Hackers!  (Read 3545 times)

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
WAZE and CarPlay Lock Out - Calling all Coders and Hackers!
« on: October 02, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »

So the new bike has Apple CarPlay HOWEVER you can't access it unless you connect a headset...    I use WAZE for all of my Navigation and now it is available through Apple CarPlay and I verified it does work on the new bikes.  You have to make sure you have >= IOS 12 and the latest version of WAZE from the App Store.  I live in a No Helmet state and never use the headset.     

There must be a way to bypass the Headset requirement??    IMHO requiring the headset renders this HUGE ENHANCEMENT worthless!

Are there any CVo Owners out there that are smarter than me that can solve this problem or do we need to wait for MOCO to come to their senses (Which may never happen!)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: WAZE and CarPlay Lock Out - Calling all Coders and Hackers!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »

Are there any CVo Owners out there that are smarter than me that can solve this problem or do we need to wait for MOCO to come to their senses (Which may never happen!)

Not seriously suggesting that a publisher or manufacturer is going to offer a product that would allow not using or even suggest against helmet use?  Just the thought of the liability exposure makes my brain hurt.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »

Not seriously suggesting that a publisher or manufacturer is going to offer a product that would allow not using or even suggest against helmet use?  Just the thought of the liability exposure makes my brain hurt.

A valid point but regardless of helmet use or not, CarPlay still offers functionality that does not require a headset to use.  Besides,  there are companies out there that sell devices to unlock Nav and Displays so that you can program a route while in motion or watch videos on your Nav screen while in motion (Ref  https://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i962_factory-video-gps-bypass.html)  I would think that it would be along the same vein?

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 05:42:51 PM »

Is the headset requirement a CarPlay requirement or a WAZE requirement? WAZE is very user focused and will welcome your feedback which can be left on the Apple Store under their app, or on the WAZE Support Forum for the APP at:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=a3b077b45673665ff57dd9a9f04c9057

It's hard to imagine that CarPlay requires a headset. How will Harley sell all those speakers and amps?  ::)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 07:13:18 PM »

i can def see the op's point.  i would like to use waze, but i don't want to have to use a headset while doing it.  what's the point of having speakers if you have to use a headset?  i don't see porting the signal to the speakers as 'encouraging non use of a helmet'....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »

A valid point but regardless of helmet use or not, CarPlay still offers functionality that does not require a headset to use.  Besides,  there are companies out there that sell devices to unlock Nav and Displays so that you can program a route while in motion or watch videos on your Nav screen while in motion (Ref  https://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i962_factory-video-gps-bypass.html)  I would think that it would be along the same vein?

Absolutely.  Others out there that do help in these areas and are more than willing to try.  Just thinking that Harley would be one of them (or any actual motorcycle manufacturer) is just something we know they aren't going to do.  Even if somewhere deep down in their system they wanted to we know they just can't.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 07:12:41 AM »

Is the headset requirement a CarPlay requirement or a WAZE requirement? WAZE is very user focused and will welcome your feedback which can be left on the Apple Store under their app, or on the WAZE Support Forum for the APP at:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=a3b077b45673665ff57dd9a9f04c9057

It's hard to imagine that CarPlay requires a headset. How will Harley sell all those speakers and amps?  ::)

... I believe it is a Harley requirement.  As for the Speakers and Amps,  I agree!

i can def see the op's point. i would like to use waze, but i don't want to have to use a headset while doing it.  what's the point of having speakers if you have to use a headset?  i don't see porting the signal to the speakers as 'encouraging non use of a helmet'....

Agreed!

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »

As a work around, can you power/pair-up the HD/Sena BT unit to the bike then place it in you saddlebag.  Then turn the speakers on so that you can hear the commands?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »

Not a player in this, just curious.  Is there some reason a person can't use a headset unless they wear a helmet?  I've seen lots of headsets that can be worn by themselves, including wireless versions.  Stick a doo-rag over it to keep windnoise down and prevent said wind from blowing the headset off.  There has to be a work around short of finding a hacker to play with the system and possibly brick it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »

As a work around, can you power/pair-up the HD/Sena BT unit to the bike then place it in you saddlebag.  Then turn the speakers on so that you can hear the commands?
Good Idea -  I took the Mic Boom off of the Headset and turned it on and it does allow the CarPlay to be visible.  I'm gonna shove it in one of the compartments and give it a try when it stops raining.  Gotta love Ohio...

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 08:24:09 AM »

This is exactly what I intend to do. Put the Sena device in the box.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »

I have this and have been happy with the results. Only flaw I found was when I put my phone in the saddlebag under the lid speaker the magnet interferes with reception. Once I figured that out no more problems. My headset connection is on the inner fairing versus the tank console though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-FREEDOM-MICROPHONE-A-WIRELESS-MICROPHONE-FOR-14-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-TOURING/273434034026?hash=item3fa9f03f6a:g:sG0AAOSw~OVWu76N
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »

Well my CarPlay saga has finally come to an end!  Was at the dealer today and had them flash the CarPlay mic setting to "Disabled" and PRESTO!    It finally works without turning on that annoying wireless headset!    Whenever I plug in the phone - CarPlay comes up! :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :apple: :cucumber: :pineapple:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:05:30 PM by Phreakyz »

15FLHXSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WV

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

Disabling the carplay mic worked for me also.  Had it done at no cost by my local HD shop...since they were glad to learn how to do it.

Thanks for the info on this!

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 01:32:27 PM »

Disabling the carplay mic worked for me also.  Had it done at no cost by my local HD shop...since they were glad to learn how to do it.

Thanks for the info on this!
Glad it helped!   

Sure would have been nice if this had been a setting in the onboard software of the GTS system rather than requiring a flash from the dealer but at least it's a solution!

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.