Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: How many Springers with an oil leak?  (Read 9769 times)

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
How many Springers with an oil leak?
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:13:01 PM »

We've all noted how frequently the 110 motor has leaked at the head and/or base gasket, but it is my impression that the Springers may be less prone due to the counter-balancers. With less shaking fore and aft there may be less of a tendency to disrupt the seals. So who here has had a leak on their Springer 110? I haven't had one...(yet) on my '07.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:16:04 PM by Air-Cooled »

BOT

Re: How many Springers with an oil leak?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »

5000 miles and just noticed the rear cylinder has oil residue. Taking in next week.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »

5000 miles and just noticed the rear cylinder has oil residue. Taking in next week.

It is most prominent in the Ultras, followed by the Road Kings. Main difference in those two bikes are the lowers on the Ultras. All of this supports a theory that it is heat related. The other bikes in the CVO lineup are lighter with less air restriction, also supporting a heat related theory.

:indian_chief:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »

There's no discrimination! They all have problems or the potential for same. We have a majority of members with FD's. So you'll hear about more of those here than any other. Next are SERK's. Then maybe even between Dynas and Springers. So you'll hear least about those. As the quantity of the type of bike decreases by members, so will the problems you hear about those models. But my personal assessment, after everything we've seen and heard, is that they all suck right now!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:07:48 PM »

There's no discrimination! They all have problems or the potential for same. We have a majority of members with FD's. So you'll hear about more of those here than any other. Next are SERK's. Then maybe even between Dynas and Springers. So you'll hear least about those. As the quantity of the type of bike decreases by members, so will the problems you hear about those models. But my personal assessment, after everything we've seen and heard, is that they all suck right now!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

I'm refering to percentages, not just absolute numbers. As it was told to me by HD Cust Service, highest % of failure is in the FLHTCUSE2, next comes the Road Kings and on down the tree.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »

I'm refering to percentages, not just absolute numbers. As it was told to me by HD Cust Service, highest % of failure is in the FLHTCUSE2, next comes the Road Kings and on down the tree.

Did you follow up that slip from the list of "acceptable customer service tech responses" with a barrage of questions like...

- What do you mean by percentage of failures? 

-  How many failures have there been?

-  What percentage of 110's produced have failed?

-  What percentage of FLHTCUSE2's have failed?

-  What percentage of Road Kings have failed?

For you to get that answer, there must be supporting statistics that can be shared!   :nixweiss:

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »

Did you follow up that slip from the list of "acceptable customer service tech responses" with a barrage of questions like...

- What do you mean by percentage of failures? 

-  How many failures have there been?

-  What percentage of 110's produced have failed?

-  What percentage of FLHTCUSE2's have failed?

-  What percentage of Road Kings have failed?

For you to get that answer, there must be supporting statistics that can be shared!   :nixweiss:

Scott

Not really. The comment was made in discussion about the failures, hypothesizing on what is causing it. Trying to put some meaning onto which models are failing the most might point a finger at the root cause. My observation was that we have seen more failures on the FLH line. The response was that "and we're seeing more of it on the Ultras than on the RK's." We then postulated as to why that was. I didn't dig into trying to get absolute numbers because I'd bet my bottom dollar that info won't be shared with common folks like me.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:39:07 PM »

Not really. The comment was made in discussion about the failures, hypothesizing on what is causing it. Trying to put some meaning onto which models are failing the most might point a finger at the root cause. My observation was that we have seen more failures on the FLH line. The response was that "and we're seeing more of it on the Ultras than on the RK's." We then postulated as to why that was. I didn't dig into trying to get absolute numbers because I'd bet my bottom dollar that info won't be shared with common folks like me.

I'd bet your bottom dollar you're right on!   :(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 09:02:58 PM »

So far one person has reported an oil leak on a Springer. Any others?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 09:29:05 PM »

The other variable you folks are forgetting is mileage.  The baggers tend to accumulate more miles in a shorter time than the Softail's and Dyna's, and therefore they are showing leaks earlier.  To make an apples to apples comparison, you need to consider mileage, not just model.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:36:28 AM »

The other variable you folks are forgetting is mileage.  The baggers tend to accumulate more miles in a shorter time than the Softail's and Dyna's, and therefore they are showing leaks earlier.  To make an apples to apples comparison, you need to consider mileage, not just model.

Jerry
Why would one bike accumulate more miles in a shorter time than another?  I know it is your opinion, and I value that.  Just wondering.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 08:36:57 AM »

Why would one bike accumulate more miles in a shorter time than another?  I know it is your opinion, and I value that.  Just wondering.

If I may speak for Jerry, I believe his point is that riders are more likely to travel long distances on a bagger than on a Dyna or Springer which will translate into more miles in a shorter period of time.  :)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 09:23:03 AM »

If I may speak for Jerry, I believe his point is that riders are more likely to travel long distances on a bagger than on a Dyna or Springer which will translate into more miles in a shorter period of time.  :)

I read it wrong, I get it now.  Makes sense.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »

Thanks, Chief, that's what I was referring to in my original statement.  I remember reading something a few years back about average miles per year on motorcycles, and the indication was that touring bikes averaged more than double the miles per year of "cruiser" models.  Sure, there are plenty of high mileage Softails and Dynas around, but I'm referring to averages.  For every Softail rider with 10,000 miles per year, there are hundreds more who are lucky to break 2,000 miles.

Getting back to this thread, it seems that the oil leak is mileage dependent (based on the reports I've read here and elsewhere).  That's why I believe any comparison between failure rates for different models needs to factor in mileage.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »

We've all noted how frequently the 110 motor has leaked at the head and/or base gasket, but it is my impression that the Springers may be less prone due to the counter-balancers. With less shaking fore and aft there may be less of a tendency to disrupt the seals. So who here has had a leak on their Springer 110? I haven't had one...(yet) on my '07.

Mine still fine...less than 2000 miles on it.....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.