Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want to buy the right tuner Help  (Read 3641 times)

budsgalore

Want to buy the right tuner Help
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »

Can anyone who has a 2007 FXDSE tell me what tuner they run, I am trying to decide and am flustered I am trying to decide between the Thundermax or the TTS but would like to hear some experienced opinions Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Want to buy the right tuner Help
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »

There is no "right" nor wrong."  If you're hiring the task use whatever your local dyno tuning guy recommends.  You're paying him for his skill and and ability after all.  So use the tool he's best with.

If doing it yourself no one can tell you how familiar you are with the any product's software.  Download and study them as well as you can and see if anything "feels" like it makes sense. 

Also consider a tuning package called EMS from a company Revolution Performance.  It has done very well most and requires the owner/user to know or do almost nothing.  Thus making it a good option for many.

budsgalore

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »

Thanks for the quick response, I have been doing alot of reading and one of the mechanics where I am at suggest TTS, they say TM goes wonky after 3-4 months cause the memory gets full, and then another dealer loves the TM. Wish I new who to believe lol I will look at your sugestion as well, got money to spend, just don't want to do it twice.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »

My Mechanic... not my dealership... Really, really, likes Küryakyn's Perfect Storm with the High-5 Mach II air cleaner, True Duals (which go under, like the stock, so the left side doesn't interfere with passenger boot rubs), and the TTS Master Tuner.  He's been telling me this combination will give me nearly 25% increase across the board.  Don't know if I need another 20+ hp, as the stock setup is already capable of launching the front wheel a good foot or more off the ground, while the rear wheel is leaving a nice (almost smoking) signature.  Usually it's one or the other, but not so with "Sheila".  She's a multi-tasking beast. 8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »

Thanks for the quick response, I have been doing alot of reading and one of the mechanics where I am at suggest TTS, they say TM goes wonky after 3-4 months cause the memory gets full, and then another dealer loves the TM. Wish I new who to believe lol I will look at your sugestion as well, got money to spend, just don't want to do it twice.

The "not wanting to do it twice" thing is a motto we should all live by but unfortunately occasionally suffer from not following.  I know I've got that t-shirt around here somewhere.

It's tough when the local shops disagree.  For what it's worth the "memory full" thing is a chimera.  While one can complain about the difficulty of getting up to speed to really take advantage of the TTS software (a problem that particular tech may have?) that it can't operate for lack of memory overhead on a ride on any given day just isn't a problem. The system doesn't work that way.

If you are hiring the work done your first task is not to pick the device but to pick the guy.  Find someone whose reasonings ring true and about whom others you trust say good things.  Once you've picked the guy let him pick the device.  You can't do much more than that.  At least if you make a mistake that way it will be a mistake made not for lack of doing the right kind of homework.

That EMS package from Revolution Performance is the closest thing we've seen so far to a "hands off" end user solution.  It's a simple installation and you don't have to do anything to "tune" the bike other than supply the company some basic engine specs.  It will require you or shop to spend an hour or so doing a  pretty simple installation.  I've become a fan of this kit but, as you've discovered, there are many options.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »

I have given up on any system that needs to be dyno'd
To be set up.

There are not enough easily accessable tuners that know what they doing.
I have had the SERT and the SESPT and niether worked out well.

I just installed the EMS unit and it is working out better than the other 2 and did not buy dyno time.

The Zippers was a possibility, but got cold feet with having not to use my ECM

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

budsgalore

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »

lol didn't mean to start the great debate i've been reading in all the other forums, I am just looking for what works best for my 2007 FXDSE, or was hoping some input from another 110ci owner but thanks for the input.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »

lol didn't mean to start the great debate i've been reading in all the other forums, I am just looking for what works best for my 2007 FXDSE, or was hoping some input from another 110ci owner but thanks for the input.

There is no single "best" approach, if there was one single best approach there would only be one product still on the market.  The "best" answer is to first decide if you want a real professional tune on a dyno, or you want one of the so-called "auto tune" devices.  If you want a dyno tune, find the guy first and let him help you decide on the tool to use (TTS, SEPST, etc.).  If you want a plug and play "auto tune", there are some threads on the ThunderMax and the Revolution Performance devices.  It doesn't matter if the posts aren't specific to a FXDSE, the same principles apply to all recent model Big Twins.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

budsgalore

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »

Went with the TTS and after the dyno tune I feel like i am on a different bike no more popping and a little more torque and the throttle response is amazingly better!

Now next on the agenda is comfort I want a Mustang solo tripper or maybe a C&C custom seat anyone have any experience on either?

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »

Went with the TTS and after the dyno tune I feel like i am on a different bike no more popping and a little more torque and the throttle response is amazingly better!

Now next on the agenda is comfort I want a Mustang solo tripper or maybe a C&C custom seat anyone have any experience on either?

Great choice, I have the same on my 06 Street Bob and really dig it too!

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.