Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vanderhall  (Read 1506 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Vanderhall
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »

Does anyone know anything about Vanderhall three wheeler's. They look pretty cool.
Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Vanderhall
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »

There is a dealer two hours south of me and have looked.  $30k was actually less than I expected as a sticker price.  For that cost though I'd be happier with a used Miata or some other small convertible sports toy.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »

But not as cool. I'm going to look in two weeks in GA.
Bill

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:53:51 PM »

They were a vendor and offering demo rides at the 3 Wheel Rally in Deadwood, SD, in July.  Looked it over pretty good and talked to the guy there but never could find the right time to get that demo ride.  I too was surprised that it was not higher priced.  Did notice that there is precious little cargo / storage area but they do offer a trailer hitch for it so getting a pull behind would be necessary if touring with it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »

I only realized a couple days after I saw them in person why I came away as unimpressed as I was.  I really didn't like them at my first impression. 

Couple days later though it dawned on me that I was judging them by standards of and comparing them to motorcycles.  Licensing requirements notwithstanding they're not in any way a bike.  It's just a three wheeled vehicle you ride inside of.  At that it might be a lot of fun.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 08:40:23 PM »

I used to think when I got older and had trouble with holding up two wheels I would consider something with 3 wheels but I read smeone's comments one day that mentioned if you have three wheels you almost can't avoid potholes and debris in the road and thought what a rough ride that would be on an old body.
Maybe I'm just worn out or burned out,but owning a hotrod or regular style car/truck makes more sense to me in being more comfortable and usable more days of the year then a 3 wheeler.... :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:31:29 AM »

I used to think when I got older and had trouble with holding up two wheels I would consider something with 3 wheels but I read smeone's comments one day that mentioned if you have three wheels you almost can't avoid potholes and debris in the road and thought what a rough ride that would be on an old body.
Maybe I'm just worn out or burned out,but owning a hotrod or regular style car/truck makes more sense to me in being more comfortable and usable more days of the year then a 3 wheeler.... :nixweiss:

Something cool (with air conditioning and good suspension)  :2vrolijk_21: .

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:14:28 PM »

A lot of states now are amending their motorcycle codes to allow trikes that are by nature not what "we" call a trike.

Slingshots, Morgan M3W and Vanderhall are three wheelers, not necessarily trikes.

But by most state's definitions, anything with three wheels is a trike or motorcycle.

Texas and a couple upper northeastern states had a definition for a motorcycle trike that you had to have handlebars and a seat that you straddle.  Of course the three three wheelers I mentioned above do not fit this classification and Texas was not letting the early Slingshots register.

MO as an example had the very basic code that ANYTHING with three wheels is a motorcycle and had to conform to rider's safety standards, "M" endorsement and helmet.

A little over a year ago MO passed a new vehicle code called Cyclecars.  These would have three wheels, but automotive type driver controls, single or side by side seating, steering wheel, pedals etc.  With this new code you DO NOT have to have an "M" endorsement on your driver's license, but you still have to wear a helmet.

Makes no sense to me about the helmet though.  A Miata would be just an dangerous in my mind about a rollover.  But does wearing a helmet in a Cyclecar really make you any safer?  Who knows, but to DRIVE a Cyclecar you do not need to have motorcycle training.

With the Eleo still being pushed as an economic three wheel car with roof and door etc, they've hit the state legislatures across the country to get this Cyclecar legislation passed to anyone can buy their three wheel front wheel drive car without anything more than their normal auto driver's license.

I've seen several videos on the Vanderhall and still cannot say I'm a big fan of the looks.  But the technology is pretty good, also in the Polaris Slingshot.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:22:17 PM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »

In case anyone in AL is interested they're for sale at Freedom Power Sports in Huntsville.  I personally like the clean lines as opposed to the "Darth Vader' look of other three wheelers.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 22 queries.