Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dunlop Tires  (Read 4604 times)

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
Dunlop Tires
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:10:08 AM »

Are you happy with your stock Dunlop 407 & 408 tires?  They seem to perform well in all conditions, due new rubber and I am leaning towards replacing these with the same rubber. Just curious as to what the rest of you think of the OEM tires.
2015 Ultra Limited Low

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Dunlop Tires
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 07:34:04 AM »

I use Dunlop American Elite. Wok well for me.
Bill

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »

i've used the american elites with great success, and my last set of tires, i went with the avon cobra chromes which i liked even better.  both of which can be found cheaper than the oem dunlops.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »

I still use the stock Dunlops and seem to hold up great in my case over the years pulling my tent trailer. I know there are better tires out there but stock is easier to get and cheaper. And for me they last a bit longer than others I have tried.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 12:24:59 PM »

I still use the stock Dunlops and seem to hold up great in my case over the years pulling my tent trailer. I know there are better tires out there but stock is easier to get and cheaper. And for me they last a bit longer than others I have tried.

I agree Terry. The D-402s are the only rear tire I have had that did not cup at the edges. The Commander !!s cupped and the American Elite cupped. And I do keep an eye on the tire pressure. Now on the other hand, the D-402s track poorly on the rain grooved concrete roads.

There's always a trade off I guess.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »

I like the OE tires, they seem to give acceptable mileage. Tried Metzlers and they did nothing as good as the Dunlops. Will always go with OE type tires.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 04:36:31 PM »

The tires were pathetic when Harley first introduced them, but after many years they seem to be as good as anything else currently available.  If it were me though I still think I'd go with the American Elite version, they are basically the same tires except Dunlop went with certain things they wanted on the Harley branded tires but Harley insisted on something different, such as tread patterns.  Harley doesn't have tire engineers, they have styling people.  I'd sooner trust the real tire engineers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 09:53:11 AM »

I agree Terry. The D-402s are the only rear tire I have had that did not cup at the edges. The Commander !!s cupped and the American Elite cupped. And I do keep an eye on the tire pressure. Now on the other hand, the D-402s track poorly on the rain grooved concrete roads.

There's always a trade off I guess.
i agree, same on paved roads with grooves

jrf55

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2018 GUNSHIP GREY ROAD GLIDE CVO
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:18:37 AM »

i replaced my rear with metzler and am happy the original dunlop severe cupping also look at the rear dunlop on a new bike the center is almost flat while michelin , metzler, others are round .

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »

I just changed the rear tire. I almost got 11K out of it before hitting the wear bars. Much better mileage than I expected. I got between 8-10 on the Commander IIs, and 10k on the D-402s. However it was starting to cup on the sides.

Dunlop American Elite.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 05:32:45 PM »

American Elite by Dunlop also starts with 1/32 more tread.
Will

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »

I like my American Elites. I'm also a rear tire abuser, and always get fair longevity the way I ride.
John

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »

I agree on all accounts with my friend Terry.  Stock OEM have been my go to for years.....no cupping or uneven wear or just plain fast tire wear that I was getting from other brands. 

I don't spend enough time on rain grooved highways for that to be an issue.  Ohhhh.....and the stock OEM tires work well in the snow, too! 

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 09:32:56 PM »

I use Dunlop American Elite. Wok well for me.

x2.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »

OEM 407 & 408’s for my 2009 CVO springer wore out by 5,000 miles with no hard ridin’, luckily front cupped & covered by known field bulletin & warranty but neither Dunlop or HD cared about the 240 wide rear tire.

I went with Avon Cobra’s for 10,000+ miles & better tracking on the road.

Thinking about the Dunlop American Elite next time, the 240 rear has deeper thread & hear better mileage from other owners with more of the narrower tires, but I did not appreciate Dunlop or HD customer service when I complained of their advertised “high mileage” & “two-compound multi-tread” tire not living up to their name.

I would go by the experience from owners of the same model & year you have, my CVO springer is a little different than most of the other CVO’s...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 25 queries.