Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Hot Springs, Heber Springs and Eureka Springs...the Ozarks of Arkansas Oct 2017  (Read 5964 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Steve & Chris are our neighbors here in the RV park and they ride an 08 CVO Ultra Classic.....a very clean one, I might add.  Babe had to work this morning, so she wasn't able to go.  Steve knows the area so he led and we rode two lane back roads all the way out and a different route back....but all two lane roads.

A view of the RV park from top of one of the bridges.......

Steve and Chris are also full timers (retired, living full time in their RV) and they have already traveled all over the country and down in to Mexico each winter....

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:33:31 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Hot Springs, Ark.....10/1/17
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »

Another day of great roads, beautiful scenery and good company.....

After 20-25 miles we came up to a stop at a T intersection and I see an old flathead 80 Indian go by.  We followed this guy for 10 or 15 miles before he finally pulled over.  We stopped and I asked if I could take some pics.  Really nice couple and he shared a few stories about riding this bike in other states...

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

A lot of riders in the hills today.....this lady had the color match thing going on......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »

We finally arrived in Hot Springs, Ark. and it's time to eat.......Fat Jacks is do-able!

A nice little town and it has a lot of history.  I mean history long before Bill Clinton grew up here.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »

We walked back to the bikes and an 09 CVO Road Glide came rolling in.  We met the owner, Ryan Bartholomew from Texas.  This is the cleanest 09 SERG that I've seen since 09.  Ryan told me it has 5k miles on it and that he also has the yellow and black 09 SERG....a true matching pair.  He didn't know about this forum so I gave him one of the business cards.

Ryan's bike is a flawless example of an 09 SERG....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:20:48 PM »

and we've arrived to see all these beautiful coaches......

One of the CVOs headed in to the RV park that they were at...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »

And back to our ride.....headed back to Little Rock, the back way....

And we arrive back home.  Steve and Chris have a beautiful coach also, along with the trailer (his man cave) for his bike and his jeep.....living life large....

Thanks a bunch Steve and Chris for showing me around your back yard.  It was a great day in the saddle and a very nice ride.  I look forward to our next ride together!

West Coast GTG   

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »

Look like you guys had a lot of fun.
Thanks for sharing.
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »

Home sweet home....

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 01:47:46 AM »

Looks awesome JC!
Alan

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 05:43:28 AM »

What an experience that most of us will probably never experience.

Thanks for the report.  May your travels be safe  :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 07:58:29 AM »

Looks awesome JC!

I think about you on some of these rides.  I know you and Miguel would really enjoy these rides.  Miss you guys Alan but I'm really enjoying this new venture in my life.  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »

Thanks for the pics JC. I enjoy others getting to see our backyard. Lots of back roads in that area that you can ride for a long time and never see another vehicle on the road. We were down there 2 weeks ago during the rally and camped in a US Forestry Service park about 15 miles outside of town. Any chance you made it by Nimrod Dam ?
Most great stores start with a bad decision

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 11:30:02 PM »

No, we haven't made it up that way.  Planned another ride for tomorrow but 40% of rain.  They said 10% chance tonight and it was raining when we came out of the restaurant.  But Wed. & Thur. look to be promising and in the mid 80s.  At least when it gets hot here, there's still plenty of shade to ride in.

We're probably going to head up to Heber Springs this weekend.  We'll be up there for a couple of weeks.  We had several people tell us to ride on up to a hippy town called Eureka Springs.  LOL   That's where they had the MITM GTG a few weeks back......damn hippys!  :P

Our neighbors have asked us to go to Mexico for the winter with them.  They go down and park at an RV resort on the Sea of Cortez every winter.  Kickin that around....  :nixweiss:  He has a 24' enclosed trailer that he pulls behind his coach so he brings all the toys (his CVO, the jeep, etc.). 

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 05:53:38 AM »

Ahhhhhh... The Life!

Enjoy

:2vrolijk_21:

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »

When you're in Heber Springs be sure to ride Push Mountain road, AR341 between Norfolk and Big Flat.  Blanchard Springs Cavern, just north of Mountain View is a worthwhile stop in the area.  Smoke House gets my vote for breakfast/lunch in Heber.

Heber is in a dry county so planning ahead is a priority for some.   :nervous: :drink:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »

When you're in Heber Springs be sure to ride Push Mountain road, AR341 between Norfolk and Big Flat.  Blanchard Springs Cavern, just north of Mountain View is a worthwhile stop in the area.  Smoke House gets my vote for breakfast/lunch in Heber.

Heber is in a dry county so planning ahead is a priority for some.   :nervous: :drink:

I really appreciate this kind of information....especially coming from riders.  Other RVers tell us "you need to go see this or go see that" but they don't know it from a rider's perspective, so I really appreciate this feedback!  Thanks a bunch!!!  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 11:36:54 PM »

I think about you on some of these rides.  I know you and Miguel would really enjoy these rides.  Miss you guys Alan but I'm really enjoying this new venture in my life.  :2vrolijk_21:
thats awesome JC, really happy for you guys! Not sure the state of CA happy about missing out on all the traffic ticket revenue now that your gone though..
Alan

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

I really appreciate this kind of information....especially coming from riders.  Other RVers tell us "you need to go see this or go see that" but they don't know it from a rider's perspective, so I really appreciate this feedback!  Thanks a bunch!!!  :2vrolijk_21:

We ride to Heber a couple of times a year, typically stay at the Red Apple Inn, so I know the area pretty well.  Another good day ride is AR16 to AR9 to Mountain View.  Spend some time on the square in Mountain View, keep in mind the no  :drink: rule.  Take AR 5 to AR25 to get back to Heber.

For a longer ride, may need to overnight somewhere else, AR16 to AR7 is a great route.  If you are up for more adventure go North on AR7 toward Jasper and stop at the Cliff House Inn for lunch.

If you haven't already found an AR MC Road Guide go here: https://www.arkansas.com/motorcycling/guide/.  It's full of information about roads to ride and I've found the info to be very accurate.

Ride safe and enjoy the Ozarks.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

I'm going to add all the "Springs"....which means all of the Arkansas Ozarks to this thread.

Early last week, I took Babe to Hot Springs and we visited Bath House Row which is now a national park.  Those that follow baseball or the history of the gangsters are probably aware of the history here....

And the bath houses.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Babe and I spent a part of a day just riding around Little Rock to see if we could find anything of interest.....

and what the locals refer to as "the trailer house on stilts".....the Clinton Presidential Library...

I stopped and took several photos of this building before a gentleman came walking up the sidewalk in a dark blue blazer with some kind of badge and I asked what the building was.  "It's the Pulaski (I thought that was a tool we used to fight forest fires years ago....a pulaski) County Courthouse....both civil and criminal".  Yes sir....thank you, I've got to go now...

and Babe waits impatiently, from across the street...  :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

the Arkansas state capital.....

As I exited the drive through tunnel under the capital steps, I was going to park in the first parking spot and it was open.  Babe quickly pointed out to me "do you realize that you're parked in the Governor's parking spot....she might not like that".  Well, nice to know the Lt. Gov. is working today.....I better go to the bottom of the ladder and park...

Arkansas has a lot of bronze statues in all the towns and cities but one of the most impressive that I saw was on the back side of the capital....the fire fighters memorial...

Little Rock has some interesting bridges and several are lit up in colored lights at night.  This is their newest bridge...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

and Little Rock has many, many interesting and beautiful old homes....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Last Friday we packed up and headed north to Heber Springs, Ark. and we've been rolling every since we got here.  A very nice campground on a very large, beautiful lake.  It doesn't compare to Lake Tahoe but I did see an article that said this is one of the 10 clearest lakes in America......I'd swim in it.  They also have a huge marina with boat and wave runner rentals, etc.  There are a number of marinas around this lake, I'm just talking about here at the Dam Site Campground.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

And look at this hot Babe!

A view of the dam and one of the swimming beaches, from the lake side....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

We swung by the Heber Springs Historical Museum.  They built this town because of the springs (there are six springs in the block that is now the town park).....from three directions they had to cross a river to get here.  From the fourth direction they had to come over a "mountain" (really a hill!).

This is a photo of the last bust the local sherriff made on a bootlegger here in town.  It was back in the mid 80s.....

In the mid to upper 80s, they're still swimming here....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Yesterday our new friends, Steve and Chris rode up from North Little Rock RV park.  They used to keep there boat on this lake so they know the area well....they gave us the $1.98 tour of the area.  Out in the middle of nowhere is Drasco Trading Post and it's all motorcycle related.  Actually was surprised at the variety and quantity they had for a place that's so far from anywhere.....

Rut-rohhh....they got some of Steve's money....

We rode up to Mountain View, Ark.  An interesting little town.  Then we rode through Shirley, Ark. where I hear the moonshine is their number one cash crop....like something out of a movie...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Tomorrow morning we get up and ride to Eureka Springs.  Going to hook up with a couple other friends of ours, members of this forum.....Don & Carol.  Lookin forward to it. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

Why am I envisioning the photo in my mind regarding your current status?    ;)   :D

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Come on Jock.....you know it's rough.  I mean you have to get on your bike and ride and take pics when everybody else is standing around BSing or riding so fast that they're missing it all.  Then ya have to come home and down load them to your hosting site then copy and past the BBC code in to a post and once in awhile ya got to type something in there. 

It ain't easy tryin to remember what was going through my mind when I took a given picture.  The image is almost crystal clear....just can't remember what I was thinking that made me take some of these pics.  It's really hard work!  I know you know.....I learned it from you. :P

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

Amazing pics and looks like great riding (and life) out there. Keep these posts coming as I am now living vicariously through you guys.
Alan

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member

I appreciate you being my guide for future endeavors if I am so lucky.   ;)

Keep it up my friend!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:29:51 PM by JCZ »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

I appreciate you being my guide for future endeavors if I am so lucky.   ;)

Keep it up my friend!

Talk about the guide for future endeavors.....as we were driving around today in Don's truck we were pointing out sites "oh, Jock posted pics of that"....."oh, Jock posted pics of this".   :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

We took the back way to Eureka Springs.  Went through towns like Damascus and Jerusalem and .........well, here is a picture.......

and more back roads riding in the Ozarks....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Arkansas Grand Canyon?  Now that's a streatch of imagination.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

We've arrived in Eureka Springs and hooked up with Don & Carol....

Not sure why they feel they need to post this in Arkansas.... :nervous:

This truck cleared this bridge by 4".  Don and I talked to him earlier......said he'd been under it before so he didn't even slow down this time....

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:06:13 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Time to head on back to Heber Springs....

Rode through Harrison, Ark.  The only thing I know about Harrison is that it used to be home to David Duke and the headquarters of the KKK and was also labeled the most racist town in America.  As I remember from the news back then, the town struggled with that reputation and the KKK until they finally left.  Not sure where they went to but it seemed like any other town to me.  Although I did notice a number of "bars and stars" (confederate) flags hanging from porches, trailer houses and pick up trucks.  I kept riding...

Oh yea.....and that's where the Buffalo River is located.  They filmed a part of the movie Deliverance there......and I hear the banjo music now.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

This what is known as "Natural Bridge" and at one time, was used as a bridge.  They had some old time photographs of people, horses, etc. on this stone bridge.  And just a little further up the trail is a cave where Belle Starr was found and captured.

The cave where Belle Starr was captured..... 
Belle Starr
Belle Starr Biography.com
Criminal(1848–1889)

QUICK FACTS

NAME
Belle Starr
OCCUPATION
Criminal
BIRTH DATE
February 5, 1848
DEATH DATE
February 3, 1889
PLACE OF BIRTH
Missouri
PLACE OF DEATH
Briartown, Oklahoma
AKA
Belle Shirley
NICKNAME
“Bandit Queen”
FULL NAME
Myra Maybelle Shirley
SYNOPSIS
CITE THIS PAGE
Belle Starr gained notoriety as an outlaw on the western edge of the United States in the mid-1800s. While she did consort with infamous characters, historians suggest her renegade reputation surpasses her actual criminal activity.
IN THESE GROUPS

FAMOUS PEOPLE BORN IN UNITED STATES
FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED ON FEBRUARY 3
FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED IN 1889
FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO DIED IN BRIARTOWN
Show All Groups
Synopsis

Born in 1848, Belle Starr was known as an infamous outlaw in the Wild West—the western edge of the expanding United States in the second half of the 1800s. She associated with famous outlaws, like Frank and Jesse James, and was arrested several times. In recent years, however, historians have gathered data that suggests that she committed far fewer criminal acts than her legend would suggest, with the men in her life being the main purveyors of illicit acts. Belle Starr was killed in 1889, with her murderer having never been brought to justice.

Early Life and Family History

Myra Maybelle "Belle" Shirley, who later became known as Belle Starr upon her marriage to Sam Starr, was born on Feb. 5, 1848, in Carthage, Missouri. She was the daughter of John Shirley and his third wife, Elizabeth Hatfield Shirley. A pianist, Belle grew up in a household with her parents and their other children, including much older half-siblings from her father’s first marriages. Her elder brother John Addison—called Bud—influenced her greatly, as did the fact that she grew up in the years leading up to the Civil War in the contested Missouri territory. Though Belle received her education from a girl's academy, Bud taught her to use guns and ride horses, and it is believed that she joined him—unofficially—as he tried to subvert the Union’s efforts in Missouri. (The Shirley family supported the Confederacy.)

Bud died in 1864, and the Shirley family moved to the Scyene area of Texas. There, Belle met Jim Reed, marrying him in 1866. In 1868, she gave birth to her first child, whom she called Pearl. A second child, Eddie, was born in 1871.

The Legend of Belle Starr

Throughout her adult life, Belle regularly consorted with criminals. Reed and his family fled from the law numerous times before he was killed in 1874. Legend has it that Belle joined in on her husband’s nefarious activities, but there is little evidence to suggest that she did. Rather, some historians suggest that she wanted to live a life of quiet domesticity. Before Reed's death, Belle had returned to her parent's farm, leaving the marriage.

In 1880, Belle wed Sam Starr, who was Cherokee and part of the Starr gang. Together, they lived on Cherokee land, harboring criminals like Frank and Jesse James at their home. In 1883, Belle and Sam were convicted of stealing horses. Each spent nine months in jail in Detroit, then returned to Indian Territory. By this time, Belle was known as a felon, with her notoriety growing over suspicion for later crimes. She reputedly carried one or two pistols and wore gold earrings and a man’s hat with feathers, though some have argued that she lived more of a home-based life while Sam engaged in illicit activity.

Belle was arrested twice more, but was never convicted again. Sam Starr was killed in 1886, and Belle went on to live with Bill July on Cherokee land. She allegedly reformed, refusing to shelter criminals in her home. When July (whom she called July Starr) was arrested for horse theft, she did not defend him.

Death and Ensuing Mystery

Belle Starr was shot to death on February 3, 1889, near Fort Smith, Arkansas just before her 41st birthday. She had cultivated some enemies over the years—including her son Eddie and daughter Pearl, with a farmland tenant being viewed as the murder's primary suspect.

Edgar Watson, who rented land from Belle, was a fugitive wanted for murder whom she kicked off her land once she discovered his history. Authorities believed that Watson might have ambushed Belle and he was thus arrested on suspicion that he'd committed the act. Yet he was eventually released as there were no witnesses to the crime.   

In addition to a number of works inspired by Belle's life, including the 1941 film Belle Star, starring Gene Tierney, a noted biography on the Western icon was written by Glenn Shirley—Belle Star and Her Times: The Literature, the Facts, and the Legends.   

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 25 queries.