Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lightning Strike  (Read 1881 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Lightning Strike
« on: November 18, 2004, 01:09:22 AM »

Few weeks back, after being house bound for 4-5 days with the flu, had to get out of the house. Took the bike out (yes I actually rode the bike this year!) up to Maine via the scenic route along the coast. First went over to Hampton Beach, NH to check the surf out--conditions were very big and very messy and no one was out surfing. Headed up the coast along 1A, nice mellow ride, found several surf spots along the way with many surfers out--conditions were quite big. Continued up the coast (coughing in my helmet and all), very relaxed, very warm with my Gerbing stuff, at a relaxed pace (good thing as I passed several radar traps). Since it was quite cold, I had the Gerbing thermostat up pretty high--found out that with the Gerbing socks it's a good idea to have socks under them. When I placed my feet down at lights, burned my left foot in one area. I also noted that the gloves dried my hads out pretty well--they were all messed up for a few weeks after the ride. Oh well, on with the story ....Arrived in Maine to find the surf pretty big as well, although very messy. Decided to paddle out to get a good workout. After getting pummeled by 6-7 waves, finally made it out passed the break. Needed to rest a while so i just sat on my board. I guess you're expecting something about a Lightening strike somewhere in this short story, so here it is. They say that you stand a better chance of being struck by lightening than being attacked by a shark. Well, I guess I'm just lucky as a "lightening strike" came pretty close.  As I was sitting there on my board, heard a splash to my right. I glanced over, and about 5-7 feet from my board I seea 12" fin surface then submerge.  [smiley=nervous.gif] Saw about two feet to the front and to the rear of the fin, diameter of the body was approx. 2-3 feet. Never saw the head or tail section. So I immediately think "You've gotta be f$%#n kidding me". I layed down on my board, still completely exhausted from the paddle out, and started paddling in (at least 100 yards from shore) wondering when this shark is gonna smash me from underneath  [smiley=nervous.gif] and munch on my shifting leg, breaking leg, throttle hand, or breaking hand (notice how I interweave motorcycle terminology here). Tried to catch a wave--sorry--I'm not that good--especially when there are sharks in the water. Let the next big wave just smash me to bits as long as I was moving to shore I was happy. Made it out of the water unscathed and a bit shaken.  [smiley=nervous.gif] Couldn't get myself back in the water that day. But the following day got a ride down the beach (kind of tough to carry the surfboard on my bike) and caught a few 10 footers for the first time. On top of the world.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] Only I could take the bike out for a relaxing weekend ride and run into a shark! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.