Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coastal highway  (Read 1037 times)

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
coastal highway
« on: June 30, 2008, 05:12:14 PM »

The wife and I are going to ride the coastal highway from L.A. too Washington, should be about a 6,000  mile trip. My question is, what are the must see's along the way? And any advice on weather, places the stay, etc. would be appreciated.
Jim

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: coastal highway
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:41:36 PM »

Hurst Castle, near Cambria, Calif. is a must see.

For lodging.....if you're looking for something a little over the top and a must do once in your life kind of place (cause the cost is sure over the top  :o) Ernie (Erniezep) and his wife have a friend that owns a little place in Big Sur.....the Post Ranch Inn.  http://www.postranchinn.com/
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »

1. bring warmer clothes than you think you will need
2. rain gear

Sights
1. Hurst Castle a must  call for tickets a head of time . The general tour is about all you need . Plan 1/2 day
2. Santa Barbara
3.  Little town of Mendocino, Ca
4.  Redwood forest park on Ca side of the Oregon border
5. Time permitting the Aquarium in Monterey
6.  Time permitting and a detour Crater Lake in Oregon
7.  Columbia River Gorge

Enjoy I just did San Diego to Bend, Or and back
Great trip but unseasonably cold.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »

JCZ, thanks but I think $2,185 a night mite be just out of my price range. But I will check out the castle.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:58:05 PM by mhjimh »

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:05:48 PM »

1. bring warmer clothes than you think you will need
2. rain gear

Sights
1. Hurst Castle a must  call for tickets a head of time . The general tour is about all you need . Plan 1/2 day
2. Santa Barbara
3.  Little town of Mendocino, Ca
4.  Redwood forest park on Ca side of the Oregon border
5. Time permitting the Aquarium in Monterey
6.  Time permitting and a detour Crater Lake in Oregon
7.  Columbia River Gorge

Enjoy I just did San Diego to Bend, Or and back
Great trip but unseasonably cold.

Just what I was looking for, never even thought about Crater Lake, and I would rather it be a little cooler then HOT. I should have time to see quit abit I'm planing on 6 days up the coast. I figure that is about 200 miles a day, should give us time to see things I think.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »

JCZ, thanks but I think $2,185 a night mite be just out of my price range. But I will check out the castle.

LOL.....I said it was "over the top".....guess I should have said "way over the top".  When the owner gave us the tour, he asked me "can you believe that there are people that pay that much a night?".  I replied something to the affect that he would and he told me "I'd never pay that much....$2-300 a night is about my limit....I built this place to make money, not spend it".  I thought that was intersting, considering that he is the owner.

When you're headed north....in Santa Cruz take Hwy. 17 east towards San Jose a few miles to Skyline Drive north.  You can take Skyline all the way into San Francisco. 

North of San Francisco, take one of the roads over to the ocean (through Guernville is a nice road to Jenner By The Sea).  Take Hwy. 1 north along the coast to Ft. Brag, Ca.  There you'll want to take the Hwy. over to Willits and Hwy. 101......that is an incredable motorcycle road!  Up Hwy. 101, in the Redwoods, you want to be sure to take Avenue of the Giants.  It's a two lane road that basically parallels the freeway, that takes you through the redwood groves.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 02:21:04 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »

Jim,

We just back from Oregon and Washington....had a great trip.  The Redwoods in Northern California is a must...the ride up the Oregon Coast on Highway 101 is a great ride.  Highway 199 from 101 to Grants Pass is a great ride.  Crater Lake is a must see as well as Mount Hood and Mount Rainier.  The coast line on the Washington side is not that great...we rode 101 from Oregon to Ocean Shores Washington....do not recommend that route.  The Columbia River Gorge ride is good also.

There is so much to see in Oregon and the riding is fantastic.  If you go up through Washington from Mount Hood take Washington Highway 25...great back road with lots of curves.  Make sure it is open though...we rode for miles until we came up to the road closed barriers and had to turn back!!!

napalm
napalm

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.