Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Souther Nevada HOG Chapter ride  (Read 1029 times)

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Rum
Souther Nevada HOG Chapter ride
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »

The Memorial Day weekend ride began on Saturday with 40 members shaking hands and hugging in the Albertson’s parking lot.  Then at 6:45 the Road Captains told us our ride plan and reviewed the hand signals. I could not remember the route so, my plan was to  follow the bike in front of me. We rode to Beatty and then across Death Valley, over the Inyo mountains to Big Pine. Continuing up 395 past Crowley Lake, Mammoth and Mono Lake, Yosemite and the Sierra mountains.  We arrived at the hotel in Carson City at 5:00 PM having traveled 500 miles in 10 hours. I know what your thinking, “that’s crazy”, but, the whole day was one beautiful vista after another. I felt like I was watching a movie of beautiful scenery, the road and time just past by. In the evening we had a group dinner at Red’s restaurant. Everyone was happy and thrilled with the day’s ride.

Sunday you could choose what you wanted to do. Some stayed in the Carson City area, others rode to Virginia City or took a mountain train ride. I went with a small group of riders, lead by Speedo, for a ride on the twisty mountain roads around Lake Tahoe. We did lots of 35 mile an hour twists and turns, enjoying the view. I thought, this is what it must be like to ride in the Swiss Alps, so, I pretended for a while and even yodeled a little. We returned to the hotel having travelled 270 fun miles. That evening we had a group dinner in the hotel and talked about our different adventures of the day.

Monday, we took the 95 home. Riding back into the 94 degree Las Vegas valley I found myself thinking about the snow capped mountains of “my Switzerland” and what a great SNHOG overnight ride we had. We traveled 1,250 miles. It was a fun and easy ride. We stopped about every 125 miles for fuel, snacks, drinks and a stretch. A 500 mile day is just four short rides.

Many thanks to the SNHOG officers and members, who planned the ride and the stops, arranged for the hotel, restaurants and activities. Watching the Road Captains, Scouts, and Rabbits work is like watching a bike Bike Ballet. All I had to do, to have a safe ride, was to follow the bike in front of me and pass the hand signals back.
“They don’t know that we know they know we know.”

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
Re: Souther Nevada HOG Chapter ride
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »

Thanks for sharing, it's a good feeling to feel the pleasure you experienced.

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

Sun Devil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Rum
Re: Souther Nevada HOG Chapter ride
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »

Thanks Al. I see Senior Rider by your name. I'm 68 and have been riding for 42 years. I just love the open road rides. I'm staying off the couch and on a bike. Hey, your only old once. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
“They don’t know that we know they know we know.”

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.