Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Ear plugs  (Read 13199 times)

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
Re: Ear plugs
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 01:03:40 AM »

I wear a cheap plastic style that are orange that go around your neck and have replaceable sponge ear plugs. I get asked at Sturgis by someone every year as to where you get them. They are an industrial type that employers provide for their employees. The nice thing is that you can wear them around your neck when you stop, so they are always with you when they are needed.

You can still hear the stereo when wearing them and talk back and forth with your passenger. I wish that I knew the manufacturer, but I don't see a name on the packaging or the product.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »

FWIW I wear surefire sonic defenders to ride and to shoot.  I prefer the EP3 with the pop stoppers.  I shoot USPSA almost every weekend and often ride to the matches.  These plugs are great to shoot and to ride - very comfortable and reusable.  Usually noise reduction is good enough with the pop stoppers open for most pistol shooting and allow you to hear what's going on around you well enough (including the stereo while riding).  I usually only have to close them up for rifle or open guns indoors.

...plus they're pretty cheap.

You can find them at almost any good sporting goods store and WalMart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »

Long ago I rode with a pair of expensive custom molded ear plugs, they worked great. While visiting Yellowstone they were stolen out of my windshield pouch by a crow looking for food. So we stopped at the hardware store in Jackson and I bought a set of $1.99 yellow rubber/silicon ones. Those worked just as well the expensive ones. Then a member here convinced me to try those popular muscians earplugs. Speaking for myself I don't find any difference.

So I learned two things:

1. Sometimes the least expensive option works just as well.
2. NEVER keep anything of value in the windshield pockets of your bike. The animals in the national parks know we keep our road snacks in there. After years of watching humans, they have learned how to open a velcro flap and take things.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

dp

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »

Been using Mack's Aqua ear plugs for my daily swim and now for the bike. Very quiet, comfortable and secure. About $3 at WM. Have tried just about every brand out there and these seem to work best for me.
2013 CVO Roadglide

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 01:29:30 PM »

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:32:02 PM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

ultrarider123

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »

Have used these (or similar) for many years.  They are corded and washable.  Last a long time, can be adjusted to block out nearly everything or left out a bit to hear music better. Work very well for me, have considered the expensive route, so far have passed on it.

These are usually available at Walgreens for about $3 a pair. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/mack's-ear-seals-dual-purpose-earplugs/ID=prod1707479-product

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 04:09:15 PM »

I bought a set of Alpine's for biking.  They make many different configs.
Mine came with a carrying case and three earplugs, plus two different inserts for slightly different db levels.
I like them because they give the music more bass yet still take most of the thrumming away from the pipes!
These are the best and most comfortable I've used.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »

Best ear buds i have ever had
Your local hearing aid provider (audiologist) will make a pair of custom fitting ear plugs for about $40.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

J.D.

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 10:45:37 PM »

I wear the Howard Leight Max Lite http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/max-lite.  They have a NRR of 30 which is decent but not too crazy.  I don't listen to music but have speakers in my helmet.  I will have to see if I can hear with the plugs in at some point.

+1 have tried a bunch of cheap (i.e. not custom made) options and all things considered these are the best for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.