Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bushtec Air Shocks  (Read 5009 times)

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Bushtec Air Shocks
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »

Does anyone know where to get early model air shocks for a bushtec trailer. The only number on the shocks is:

P7FD

I think they were made by Monroe, but their site has no records of them.

HELP....

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Bushtec Air Shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »

Does anyone know where to get early model air shocks for a bushtec trailer. The only number on the shocks is:

P7FD

I think they were made by Monroe, but their site has no records of them.

HELP....

_Beags

Beags,

I've got a 2002 Roadstar and I'm not positive but almost certain it has Progressives on it.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »

Call them, they should be able to tell you.

But I think you're right......I believe the early models were Monroe.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »

Matt, if you haven't already you might check with Lou.  Not certain but think I remember him writing of matching something up at the parts store when his was torn apart.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »

Don,
   I picked up a set yesterday at NAPA, they look like they will fit, but the replacements are only single action (only the bottom of the shock slides in and out).  The stock shocks are dual action (the top extends and so does the bottom....yeah, I've never seen shocks work like that before either). I'm still on the fence, I'll probably put the stock ones back on for now and see how they work.

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 11:43:26 AM »

TBone,
   I called Bushtec, they've changed the design slightly because they couldn't get the old style around 1991, my trailer was built in 1989 so they're two different parts.  Lou's trailer was built in 1981 and his are different still. I do wish I could find some progressive's to put on there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »

TBone,
   I called Bushtec, they've changed the design slightly because they couldn't get the old style around 1991, my trailer was built in 1989 so they're two different parts.  Lou's trailer was built in 1981 and his are different still. I do wish I could find some progressive's to put on there.

My little Roadstar is an 04.  So at least one change between it and yours Matt.  Sitting here trying to remember what the shocks on it look like and can't.  I'd have remembered an unusual looking dual extending piston shock though.  So pretty sure my Roadstar has a more conventional appearing air shock.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 08:17:51 PM »

The trailer project is finally in the reassembly stage.  Had a go-round with the powdercoating on the wheels (they didn't mask off the area where the tire bead is, yup....another story of it being too BIG, story of my life), I came up with the lazy man's method to remove it.  I took an old 1750rpm buffer motor that I had laying around, put a firm buffing pad on it and then put the old bearings in the wheels, spinning buffer wheel against the wheel and a good quality carbide bit made short work of it (you'd be amazed at how much powdercoat was on those suckers). The chasis is fully reconditioned, full new wiring harness, I had Bilstein work over the old shocks,new hardware all around and I'm close to a to new Bushtec (BTW, if it weren't so much fun as a project.....buy a new one, the cost is about the same).  The Cherry Bomb paint match is perfect and the graphics look cool as hell. I do have to fix the factory wiring (just not the way I wire bikes), and add the new cooler and jiffy stand.

Now, to the question at hand.  Where is the next long trip to test drive this sucker??????  Any thoughts???? :orange: :orange: :orange:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 09:45:32 PM »

The trailer project is finally in the reassembly stage.  Had a go-round with the powdercoating on the wheels (they didn't mask off the area where the tire bead is, yup....another story of it being too BIG, story of my life), I came up with the lazy man's method to remove it.  I took an old 1750rpm buffer motor that I had laying around, put a firm buffing pad on it and then put the old bearings in the wheels, spinning buffer wheel against the wheel and a good quality carbide bit made short work of it (you'd be amazed at how much powdercoat was on those suckers). The chasis is fully reconditioned, full new wiring harness, I had Bilstein work over the old shocks,new hardware all around and I'm close to a to new Bushtec (BTW, if it weren't so much fun as a project.....buy a new one, the cost is about the same).  The Cherry Bomb paint match is perfect and the graphics look cool as hell. I do have to fix the factory wiring (just not the way I wire bikes), and add the new cooler and jiffy stand.

Now, to the question at hand.  Where is the next long trip to test drive this sucker??????  Any thoughts???? :orange: :orange: :orange:

Long trip?  You don't need a long trip.  It's got a cooler!  You only need to go to Brian's driveway!

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 08:32:18 AM »

You and Big B can ride out East with it and show it off

I am sure we can fill the cooler for the return trip :drink:

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »

I have to get my post count up a little.  Here are some pics.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »

BB and Brother Ken.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »

Suzy even got in on the action.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 03:08:12 PM »

The Boyz....

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »

Had to make a new bracket.....used All the cool tools.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.