Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: H-D Premium Ride Suspension  (Read 8382 times)

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
H-D Premium Ride Suspension
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »

Okay guys .........looking for recommended "bang for my buck" advice on completing a suspension upgrade on my 2015 SERG with the Premium Ride Single Cartridge Fork Kit. I've recently replaced my stock air shocks with the Premium Ride Hand Adjustable Touring Shocks and very much like the resulting ride quality (and don't miss the annoying constant air checks and adjustments). I'm running 10 clicks solo and 12 clicks two-up currently .....but still experimenting. The advice on our forum appears to emphasize the best suspension performance is achieved by balancing the fronts with the rears. While I'm aware that one gets what one pays for ......I'm retired and not wanting to spend at anywhere near the Ohlin price-point :nixweiss:.

A number of comments on this forum have been generally favorable of both the Premium Ride fronts and rears. However looking at the online P&A catalog reviews of the two items, the rears are highly rated with 19 reviews averaging 4.7 stars .........while there's only a single 1 star review for the front shocks with the reviewer complaining they are overly stiff. Interestingly however, 3 of the reviews for the rear shocks mentioned they'd upgraded the fronts as well and loved the difference.

This is my 5th Harley (3rd bagger) and the first time upgrading the suspension ......I look forward to your advice. Is it worth upgrading the fronts with the H-D Premiums?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: H-D Premium Ride Suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:27:19 PM »

I went all the way on my '07 CVO Ultra and got the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20s on it but when I got my '12 CVO Ultra I did not want to spend that much to upgrade the front so I went with the H-D Premium Ride front cartridge system.  It was a big improvement over stock - very little brake dive and much more stable and controllable especially riding curves where the roadway was not perfectly smooth.  Stock suspension could be scary to say the least in those conditions but the Premium Ride was very acceptable - perhaps not as good as Traxxion but at half the price very acceptable.

Now your '15 has the larger Rushmore 49mm front forks.  I have test ridden a few '14s and '15s but really don't recall how their front suspension performed compared to my '12 stock to stock so I can't say how much improvement you will notice.  All I can say again is on my '12 it was significant. 

It is very difficult to quantify such changes especially from years ago but this is my best recollection.  Now the front suspension on my new '17 CVO Limited is quite acceptable.  First Harley I've owned that I did not have to upgrade the suspension which is a nice 'tax' break.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Hogism

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »

I started with the HD Premium on the rears, then upgraded the front suspension to HD Premiums as well. I noticed a lot of diffence in ride quality with both paired up to the HD Premuims front and rear.
I would highly recommend doing the front suspension.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »

I went all the way on my '07 CVO Ultra and got the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20s on it but when I got my '12 CVO Ultra I did not want to spend that much to upgrade the front so I went with the H-D Premium Ride front cartridge system.  It was a big improvement over stock - very little brake dive and much more stable and controllable especially riding curves where the roadway was not perfectly smooth.  Stock suspension could be scary to say the least in those conditions but the Premium Ride was very acceptable - perhaps not as good as Traxxion but at half the price very acceptable.

Now your '15 has the larger Rushmore 49mm front forks.  I have test ridden a few '14s and '15s but really don't recall how their front suspension performed compared to my '12 stock to stock so I can't say how much improvement you will notice.  All I can say again is on my '12 it was significant. 

It is very difficult to quantify such changes especially from years ago but this is my best recollection.  Now the front suspension on my new '17 CVO Limited is quite acceptable.  First Harley I've owned that I did not have to upgrade the suspension which is a nice 'tax' break.
Thanks for your candor ultrafxr. I recall that with the primary difference being the Rushmore front forks, my current 2015 SERG handled better than my previous 2011 SERG. Now you're confirming that the 2017 suspension is significantly improved to where you're satisfied with it as-is :2vrolijk_21:. I wonder if the 2017's come standard with a "Premium Ride" suspension because in the P&A catalogue I don't see ANY suspension options listed :nixweiss:!

I started with the HD Premium on the rears, then upgraded the front suspension to HD Premiums as well. I noticed a lot of diffence in ride quality with both paired up to the HD Premuims front and rear.
I would highly recommend doing the front suspension.
Thanks Hogism, we have the same bike and you noted a significant positive difference .......that's what I wanted to hear LOL ;D! I believe special tools are required for the install .......if you had the fronts done at your dealer what did they charge for labor? Otherwise, how difficult was your installation?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Hogism

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »

TRIGGER-MAN, I believe it was around 3 to 3.5 hours of labor. And yes it does require special tools.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 05:38:39 PM »

Thanks for your candor ultrafxr. I recall that with the primary difference being the Rushmore front forks, my current 2015 SERG handled better than my previous 2011 SERG. Now you're confirming that the 2017 suspension is significantly improved to where you're satisfied with it as-is :2vrolijk_21:. I wonder if the 2017's come standard with a "Premium Ride" suspension because in the P&A catalogue I don't see ANY suspension options listed :nixweiss:!
Thanks Hogism, we have the same bike and you noted a significant positive difference .......that's what I wanted to hear LOL ;D! I believe special tools are required for the install .......if you had the fronts done at your dealer what did they charge for labor? Otherwise, how difficult was your installation?
Re: the 2017s.  Not Premium Ride but something new from Showa called SDBV.  Here's a blurb about it I copied from a write up on the internet:

First shown by Showa at EICMA two years ago, it is a new style of fork internals that utilize a new Showa Dual Bending Valve structure to give cartridge style fork performance but at a lower cost and weight than full cartridge style forks.

On my 2012 I had the dealer install the Premium Ride front suspension and he charged me 4.50 hours labor.  I recently helped a friend install the Legend Axeo front cartridge system on his 2011 CVO RGU and it wasn't all that difficult.  Should be pretty much the same - remove old parts, drop in new, etc.  You can google ideas to make a fork seal driver from PVC pipe.  That's really the only special tool required as I recall.  Might want to check the Legend Axeos also as he really likes it.  Of course he has Legend Air Shocks on the rear, lol.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »

I agree with ultrafxr, I had both put on my '16 fltruse before I took delivery. The dealer did the work for free and I bought the parts. I've been very happy with the upgrade.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »

If you really don't want to spend much, maybe go for some Ricor Intiminators. Actually, I'll have a used set up for sale soon  ;)
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 03:31:19 PM »

If you really don't want to spend much, maybe go for some Ricor Intiminators. Actually, I'll have a used set up for sale soon  ;)
Hey North Star, looked these Ricor Intiminators up and see they make a 49 MM version for the 2014 and newer Rushmore bikes for only about $200. I've asked them if they'd work well with my stock shocks .......or if I needed to upgrade the front shocks would they work with the H-D Premium Ride Single Cartridge Fork Kit?
It appears you've installed the Intiminators on your stock shocks ..........how well did that work out?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »

Hey North Star, looked these Ricor Intiminators up and see they make a 49 MM version for the 2014 and newer Rushmore bikes for only about $200. I've asked them if they'd work well with my stock shocks .......or if I needed to upgrade the front shocks would they work with the H-D Premium Ride Single Cartridge Fork Kit?
It appears you've installed the Intiminators on your stock shocks ..........how well did that work out?

I don't think they are designed for use with cartridges- they are used instead of cartridges, to be used with fork springs.

At the time, Ricor said my OEM 2009 springs would work fine with the Ricors. I've had them in for a few years now, and are a big difference from stock, as they firm up the front and reduce brake dive. I still bottom out sometimes though.

I'm want to install the CCE Tour Trac Tree, so my front end has to come apart, plus my fork oil is old, so I decided to take out the Ricors and do the Axeo's in the front, which I think will be an upgrade.

What did Ricor tell you about your questions?

GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:04:32 PM »

I don't think they are designed for use with cartridges- they are used instead of cartridges, to be used with fork springs.

At the time, Ricor said my OEM 2009 springs would work fine with the Ricors. I've had them in for a few years now, and are a big difference from stock, as they firm up the front and reduce brake dive. I still bottom out sometimes though.

I'm want to install the CCE Tour Trac Tree, so my front end has to come apart, plus my fork oil is old, so I decided to take out the Ricors and do the Axeo's in the front, which I think will be an upgrade.

What did Ricor tell you about your questions?
Thanks North Star .........will advise comments from Ricor when they respond.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

Your manual should show the graph on how much to set the shocks too.  I have the same on my '14CVO Road King.  Its basically 10# of weight per "number".  The numbers must be different for the UG because I'm only at 3 (250lbs) clicks for single rider.  I turn all the way up for 2-up with the wife and gear.  I notice a huge difference if I forget to back it down after taking everything off and going back to single rider. 
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 10:29:47 PM »

Number 1 performance shocks are Öhlins. A little bit like putting lipstick on a pig since the HD frames are not in any way a performance frame. But I like live the feeling from my rear and friend not Öhlin setup.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »

Your manual should show the graph on how much to set the shocks too.  I have the same on my '14CVO Road King.  Its basically 10# of weight per "number".  The numbers must be different for the UG because I'm only at 3 (250lbs) clicks for single rider.  I turn all the way up for 2-up with the wife and gear.  I notice a huge difference if I forget to back it down after taking everything off and going back to single rider.
Hey harleychef2011, here's the part of the Harley-Davidson Instrucion .pdf with the adjustment chart. I'm a bit confused as to the "click thing" because the manual indicates that one full knob rotation produces one click. However I "hear/feel" one click for every half turn :nixweiss:?!?! Anyone else notice this?

As your Road King has no Tour-Pak, you'd use the left columns where it says 4 turns = 250lbs. With Tour-Pak the chart says 9 turns = 250lbs. Clicks or turns .........it's whatever feels right to the individual rider LOL ::)!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:35:19 PM by TRIGGER-MAN »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »

I think that manual posted above is for a different model Ohlins than I have. I have Howard's 3-3, which I believe is the equivalent of the Ohlins 159.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.