Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone tried are wider than stock rear tyre (tire) on their 09 SPRINGER?  (Read 777 times)

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO

Looking to see if anyone has tried a wider than stock rear tyre on their 09, and comments as to any difference in handling?

I'm wondering if a wider tyre may be more rounded and help cornering ability?

Cheers, Dave
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:41:39 PM by segle »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Anyone tried are wider than stock rear tyre (tire) on their 09?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:20:41 AM »

on my 2010, i had bought a set of the agitator take offs.  the rear came with a 200 on it.  i don't know how much difference in handling could be attributed to the 200 tire as i went from the stock 16/18 set up to the cvo sized 18/19.

i took those wheels off when i traded that bike in on my cvo and put them on the wife's bike.  before doing so, i removed the 200 and replaced it with the stock 180.  two reasons: first, dunlop did not recommend using a tire that width on that size rim, and second, it was a softail rear tire so the load rating was lower and it was not dual compound so it wore faster (and more expensive to replace). 

it was one thing for me to ride on it, but when it comes to the wife's safety, no chances are to be took.

i will say though, it looked cool as hell.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twism_23

• Senior CVO Member
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE CHARRED STEEL LIGHTENING SILVER
    • CVO2: 2009 FXSTSSE3 COBALT BLUE

Looking to see if anyone has tried a wider than stock rear tyre on their 09, and comments as to any difference in handling?

I'm wondering if a wider tyre may be more rounded and help cornering ability?

Cheers, Dave
I had a Dunlop Elite 3 250/40 18 on my 09. It ran and handled great but I don't know that it was any more rounded.
2019 FLHXSE FM 128, Wood 22X-E, SE 64mm TB, 5.5 inj., D&D Billet Cat, Aim SDR, Legend  Revo-A, 12” F47, SE Vent. Extreme, SR Comp Ramp, Rekluse Slave

2009 FXSTSSE3, V&H PP, Exile open Primary, 14" Carlini, Danny Grey Shorthop 2 Up XL, HPI 51mm w/4.9 Injectors, Power Vision, AV&V Springs and Valves, Kury TC24D Cams, 10.2 Comp

2017 RGS - FM 124, SE 64mm TB 6.3 inj, Feuling 521, S&S Lifters & Oil pump & Cam plate, AIM SDR, F47 12", D&D Billet Cat,Corbin Classic Solo, 21" Aggressor

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 24 queries.