Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: help from the gurus  (Read 1765 times)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
help from the gurus
« on: March 09, 2019, 10:30:14 AM »

okay, so you may remember in an earlier thread where i was considering purchasing a nomar tire changer.  well, i did.  i sucked it up and picked one up during their big christmas sale.

it got here, i put it together and it's in it's place in the garage.  i took an old wheel/tire that i had up in the attic to 'practice' on, and found the process to not be too bad.  a bit of a learning curve, and it's kinda a mfer on the arthritis, but i can work with that.

unfortunately, the tire/wheel that i had been practicing on is a stock 18 from my wife's 2012.  i recently tried to change out the 19'' front tire on the wife's bike (cvo agitator), with a new dunlop american elite.  the actual demount/mount wasn't too bad, but where i caught hell was getting that sucker to seat the bead.  i fought with that tire for most of the day.  to the point where i finally gave up and took it to the bike shop and ended up paying for a mount and balance.

fast forward to now, and i'm changing the tires on my bike.  this time, i'm trying a set of the new avon cobra chrome tires.  did the front tire yesterday, going to do the rear today.  i was able to get the bead to set on the front tire yesterday, but it was not without it's share of drama.  i swear it takes longer to get the bead set than it did demounting/mounting the tire itself.

so my question to the gurus is, wtf is the trick?  i've watched all kinds of youtube videos, (and no, i'm not going to set fire to my tires), and i swear they make it look so easy, but i'll be damned if it's anything but.  i know that the low profile tires add in some grief, but it really shouldn't be this hard.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

J.D.

Re: help from the gurus
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »

It's a bitch in cold weather.  I only do tires on really hot days, like 85F+.  Leave the tire sit out in mid day sun for an hour before mounting it.  Some guys will run a hair dryer inside the tire under something like a towel to get the rubber to soften up but I've never done it that way.  To seat the bead I remove the valve core and use a blow nozzle directly on the coreless valve stem.  Granted I've only mounted two sets of tires to date but was successful doing them in hot weather this way.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 12:01:59 PM »

i had the valve stem removed, and while it wasn't hot, it wasn't that cold either.  it was just a downright bitch....  almost to the point of questioning why did i buy this thing?  i figured there would be a learning curve, but damn, if i gotta take the wheel in anyway, whats the point?

taking a break right now on the rear tire.  the new tire has been sitting outside in the sun for a couple of hours, and i've removed the old tire already, having a nice cold refreshing drink (mountain dew, i'll save the beer for later).  i have to admit, getting the rear tire off the wheel was easier than the front.  but, i'm not celebrating just yet, still have to put it on and set the bead.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »

okay.  break over.  surprisingly, the rear tire was much easier than the front.  bead set first try.  now to balance and reinstall and clean.....  :bananarock:

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 12:49:45 PM »

Some guys will put a strap around the tire to sort of squish it and put outward pressure on the bead, but I've never tried it.  I use the bead lube liberally and sort of use my knees and free hand to move the tire slightly as I give it air with the other hand.  You shouldn't increase the pressure over about 40psi but do need a very high volume air supply to seat the bead.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 01:12:02 PM »

tried that as well.  made my own 'beadsetr' from watching this guys video: 

found a source for the nylon sleeve, and used a ratchet strap that i had cut the hooks off of and the wife sewed it to the ratchet mech.  that front tire was just a royal pita. 

these new avon cobras were easier than the american elites, i think.  i mean, at least i finally got the front to set, while the rear wasn't much of an issue.  depending on how they perform, i may stick with them.  even though avons are notorious for short tread life, these new ones are supposed to wear longer, and they are supposed to have a 5% larger contact patch.  if i get 2 years out of them, i guess i'll be okay.  i'm not sure that i want to go through this every year, lol....

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 06:25:02 PM »

woo hoo! success..  back wheel/tire was much easier than i anticipated.  job is done.  quick 2 mile test ride, turned into 10 miles, then 20 miles.  with these new shoes, my bike feels like a brand new bike.

now, we'll just have to wait and see how they hold up.

and i'll still be glad to take any tips/tricks/techniques that anyone has to send my way.  i am going to have to go through this again....

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 07:05:08 PM »

Way to go.  Nothing like the feeling of soft new rubber.

I was surprised that my little static balancer dialed them right in.  Took a bit of time but time well spent.  Honestly it rode smoother than the previous set balanced by the dealer.  Wonder how accurate their machine really is.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »

It'll get easier with each tire change. Warming the tire up somehow does help, with seating the bead take the shrader valve out of the valve stem and air hose fitting, I've used a strap also. I learned the hard way myself.

Ride On
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:52:47 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »

It might be the tire.

Last June I watched both Jim and Joe at Metal Dragon struggle to mount my rear Dunlop American Elite. They strapped it, and wrestled it with it. They managed to get all the beads but one to seat. After a lot of sweat and elbow grease it seated. Thankfully the front one was easier. Jim said sometimes it does happen.

I never saw mounting difficulties like that when I ran Commander IIs
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »

Have used a strap, but what has worked better for us is to make several wood spacers (6 or so) to insert inside the tire the night before mounting.  These spacers need to be just a little less than the width of rim, and they "stretch" the inside of the tire to better fit the rim when mounted.   Helps to let the tire warm up in the sun or use a heat gun on it to warm it up first.  We use more goop when the tire is still slow to seat, always remove the valve core. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »

Have used a strap, but what has worked better for us is to make several wood spacers (6 or so) to insert inside the tire the night before mounting.  These spacers need to be just a little less than the width of rim, and they "stretch" the inside of the tire to better fit the rim when mounted.   Helps to let the tire warm up in the sun or use a heat gun on it to warm it up first.  We use more goop when the tire is still slow to seat, always remove the valve core.

Mike, wouldn't them blocks make a terrible noise going down the road once you got that tire mounted?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 11:58:10 PM »

Mike, wouldn't them blocks make a terrible noise going down the road once you got that tire mounted?

Don, we usually set fire to them after mounting, on the black bikes the ashes blend in ok & on red/blue etc. bikes they add "character".
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 01:07:21 AM »

Don, we usually set fire to them after mounting, on the black bikes the ashes blend in ok & on red/blue etc. bikes they add "character".

Ok.  Got it.  Is there a Screamin' Eagle version of "character" that costs more?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 07:26:22 AM »

thanks for the tips.  will keep them in mind for 'next time'....
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.