Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Brake Squeal  (Read 6070 times)

Air51

Rear Brake Squeal
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »

Hello, first of all I love my new '08 SERK!  It handles great and pulls hard and fun in the twisties.  The only thing that is a little annoying and I hope it goes away over time and wear of the brakes is the rear brake squeal.  It only occurs after I have put a few miles on the bike and everything is warmed up, as I come to a stop, the last 10mph or so using the rear brake starts to squeak or squeal.  Any ideas?

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Rear Brake Squeal
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »

Same problem on my 08.  I had the dealer check it during the 1K service and they said the only thing they could figure was the pads were glazed.  Why didn't they replace them...  :nixweiss:
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »

Try this thread:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=20605.msg339837#msg339837

Do yourself a favor and order a set of Lyndall Z+ brake pads.  Quieter, better braking "feel", much less dust than the stock pads.  If you complain to your dealer about the squeak/squeal, you will most likely get one of two responses.  Number one on the hit parade is the famous "They all do that, it's normal".  Assuming you refuse to accept that bit of wisdom, and that you're bigger and meaner looking than the fool who used it on you, the number two response will be to replace the pads with another set of the crappy stock parts.  Either way, you'll still have crappy brake pads.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »

Try this thread:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=20605.msg339837#msg339837

Do yourself a favor and order a set of Lyndall Z+ brake pads.  Quieter, better braking "feel", much less dust than the stock pads.  If you complain to your dealer about the squeak/squeal, you will most likely get one of two responses.  Number one on the hit parade is the famous "They all do that, it's normal".  Assuming you refuse to accept that bit of wisdom, and that you're bigger and meaner looking than the fool who used it on you, the number two response will be to replace the pads with another set of the crappy stock parts.  Either way, you'll still have crappy brake pads.

Jerry
I agree I have changed to  Lyndall on all 3 bikes no squeak and you won't waste your time with the dealer trying to tell you that it is normal. Plus less dust makes the bike look good longer  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:00:14 AM »

Mine did the same thing, I bought the Lyndall Z+ and put them on the rear only. I noticed the fronts stopped a lot better. I figured they would break in and get better, they didn't. So I bought some for the front to even up the stopping feel. Then after 600 miles, I rode my friends 08 with Brembos (same as the SERK) and I thought damn this thing stops a lot better than mine with the Lyndall pads. So I put the OEM back on, and it does stop a lot better.

I'm wondering if I should try the gold plus pads from Lyndall. The Brembo brakes stop a lot better than the normal Harley calipers and when you put the Z plus pads on, the Brembo's feel like normal Harley (non Brembo).

I have a little bit of noise with the stock pads, but I haven't ridden it that much, so I might have to give the gold plus pads a try. If you did them all at once, or didn't switch to another Brembo equipped bike, you might not notice. But when I put them on the back only, every time I grabbed the front I couldn't believe the difference.

That is my experience with the Lyndall pads on my 08 SERK.

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »

I believe this is the right pad for those interested...
http://www.cyclespot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1720-0063

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:08:51 PM »

Hello, first of all I love my new '08 SERK!  It handles great and pulls hard and fun in the twisties.  The only thing that is a little annoying and I hope it goes away over time and wear of the brakes is the rear brake squeal.  It only occurs after I have put a few miles on the bike and everything is warmed up, as I come to a stop, the last 10mph or so using the rear brake starts to squeak or squeal.  Any ideas?

Got a ideal use the front brakes more  :orange: sorry just trying to make the Chithead poll on this site  :huepfenlol2:

You can pull the pads sand them with 180 knocking off the glaze, take a hacksaw and cut a groove in the center the width of the blade down to about 1/32 of an inch from the steel back pad. Most of your top performance pads have this done, it give the pad a dust and cooling relief with split surfaces. Or you can order the Lyndall Z+ or Brembo pads they are already split I think and both are better material than the stock pads. Hope this helps

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:20:59 PM »

Mine also has the same squeal , so now I do not use the rear brake on slow rolling stops (just annoys me to much)
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:45:27 PM »

Front and rear used to squeal and I sometimes sounded like a semi at a stop sign.  Now that I have 1200 it is only the rear that squeals, and not always.  Light or heavy brake use does not squeal, only medium.  I think (hope) as the brakes wear in they will squeal less.

Riding in the rain might have been what washed some of the squeal off, or it was the idiot in the pickup who cut right across in front of me that scared most of the squeal off.  Ever hear squealing brakes when the ABS were triggered?
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »

My 08 SE copper top ultra also squeals from the rear brakes.  I'll keep an eye (ear?) on it and have it checked at the first service.
Brett in AK

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »

I had the same squeal on my bike.  When I had my 1K service done I complained to the service manager.  They probably sprayed some brake cleaner on the pads.  It really helped.  For about 5 miles!
I bought the Lyndall Racing pads and had a friend who is a HD mechanic who visited me from out of state.  He installed the rear brake pads for me.  He didn't even have to take the caliper off the bike!  Now I'm squeal free!
(I have Lyndall pads on my Heritage Softail also, they're the best).  :orange:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »

Same deal, rear w/light pressure to a slow stop squeal. Complained and first they chamfered them and said it went away. On the way home it started again. Brought it back and they replaced the pads and said it needed to be "broken" in and if it didn't work they'd replace the rotor. Well it didn't work and I guess I'll have them change the rotor when I bring it in for the heated grips.

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 21 queries.