Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?  (Read 8749 times)

Sean M Cary

Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »

What do you all do to ensure that brake fluid does not hit the paint?

Gotta bleed the SERK2 brakes, the fluid is NASTY  :o   And is way over due after sitting for a year plus...

I have done other MC's - but never really had to worry about paint like I do on the SERK.

I normally use a Mity-Vac - and have been really happy with the Speed Bleeders on my F-150 and on my KLR650...anyone using the speed bleeders?

Suggestions? Hints?

Thanks!

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:14:54 PM »

Be careful with the small reservoirs.  A vacuum bleeder used too vigorously can cause splashes at the small reservoirs.

If you're using DOT5 don't do anything but pump it; very slowly.  And be very careful not to shake up the bottle; even a little bit.  DOT5 if agitated much at all will entrain air within the fluid.  If this happens, even a little bit, it becomes a total bi*ch to bleed.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:43:48 PM »

What do you all do to ensure that brake fluid does not hit the paint?

Gotta bleed the SERK2 brakes, the fluid is NASTY  :o   And is way over due after sitting for a year plus...

I have done other MC's - but never really had to worry about paint like I do on the SERK.

I normally use a Mity-Vac - and have been really happy with the Speed Bleeders on my F-150 and on my KLR650...anyone using the speed bleeders?

Suggestions? Hints?

Thanks!

Sean

I use speed bleeders.  Bought them at Millers in Daytona.  Attached to those is a plastic tube, and each tube is attached to a large syringe.  Syringe is closed, and as fluid is bled, it opens.  Easier than trying to use a can to drain the brake fluid into, and further minimizes any air return at the time time. 

I usually bleed one side at a time.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:52:24 PM »

I'm not positive but I think DOT 5 fluid is silicone based and is not supposed to harm paint like dot 3 and 4 does.

But be careful anyway   ;D

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

Sean M Cary

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »

I'm not positive but I think DOT 5 fluid is silicone based and is not supposed to harm paint like dot 3 and 4 does.

DD

I have read that it does not...news to me.  I have also found that it is a PIA to FIND!  Scored two bottles today on my way home at the Yamaha dealer, Bel-Ray brand.

Sean

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:13:17 AM »

I have read that it does not...news to me.  I have also found that it is a PIA to FIND!  Scored two bottles today on my way home at the Yamaha dealer, Bel-Ray brand.

Sean
You going to put it on your paint and see if it does  :nervous:  :huepfenlol2:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:17:32 AM »

You going to put it on your paint and see if it does  :nervous:  :huepfenlol2:

Bled em last night with my mity-vac and I had towels and coverings over every inch of exposed paint...  No WAY I was testing that theory.

Could not get to a good "feel" - they are not spongy but the brakes are catching like an inch or so off the grips... 

The pads look good, going to re-bleed left to right and try again tonight.  The master cylinder had some serious funk in it...cloudy/milky looking from sitting I guess.  Going to pick up a 60cc syringe and try a reverse bleed, heard it works better then the other methods with the DOT 5.

Love doing this.

Sean

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »

FM,
Were the brakes good before the bleed?  I had an 01 Ultra that the only way I ever got brakes on it was replacing the master cylinder.  Several dealers and myself bled what must have been a couple of gallons of fluid through that POS and NEVER got a decent lever.  Finally swapped out a known good master and voila (that's like tah dah for you jarheads!)  had a great solid brake lever.

2nd Air Cav!
Toujours Pret!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Sean M Cary

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »

FM,
Were the brakes good before the bleed?  I had an 01 Ultra that the only way I ever got brakes on it was replacing the master cylinder.  Several dealers and myself bled what must have been a couple of gallons of fluid through that POS and NEVER got a decent lever.  Finally swapped out a known good master and voila (that's like tah dah for you jarheads!)  had a great solid brake lever.

2nd Air Cav!
Toujours Pret!

Unfortunately the last owner/rider isn't around to ask...   :-\ 

It was dad's bike, I got it like this...and he died a month ago, before I got the bike deliverd (ID Transport www.idtransport.com SUCKS, their owner Joe is a pathological liar, stay away from them at all cost...but I digress - that will be another endeavor of mine, soon). 

Asked mom if dad had ever expressed concern about the brakes, and she said he had never mentioned it.

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »

DD

That's correct.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

FM,
My condolences on losing your Dad.  I went through that last year.  It's no fun.  At least you'll be able to ride "with" him on the SERK.

arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:20 PM »

Bled em last night with my mity-vac and I had towels and coverings over every inch of exposed paint...  No WAY I was testing that theory.

Could not get to a good "feel" - they are not spongy but the brakes are catching like an inch or so off the grips... 

The pads look good, going to re-bleed left to right and try again tonight.  The master cylinder had some serious funk in it...cloudy/milky looking from sitting I guess.  Going to pick up a 60cc syringe and try a reverse bleed, heard it works better then the other methods with the DOT 5.

Love doing this.

Sean

Sean, what you're describing sounds like a pretty typical pedal/lever feel for DOT5 that entrained air.  You poor bastard.

If the syringe will give you enough of a venturi effect for the speed increase to cause any agitation at all that method won't help.  Unfortunately the only thing you can do with DOT5 fluid is pour it very gently, from bottles that have been handled very carefully and pump very slowly.  And if it has entrained air within the fluid you sometimes just have to let it set.  For awhile.

When I got the Road Glide home a couple months ago rebuilt the hydraulics on the wheels and replaced the master cylinders.  While doing that flushed the lines and went back with a synthetic DOT4 just because DOT5 can sometimes be such a pain in the arse.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »

Sean, what you're describing sounds like a pretty typical pedal/lever feel for DOT5 that entrained air.  You poor bastard.

If the syringe will give you enough of a venturi effect for the speed increase to cause any agitation at all that method won't help.  Unfortunately the only thing you can do with DOT5 fluid is pour it very gently, from bottles that have been handled very carefully and pump very slowly.  And if it has entrained air within the fluid you sometimes just have to let it set.  For awhile.

When I got the Road Glide home a couple months ago rebuilt the hydraulics on the wheels and replaced the master cylinders.  While doing that flushed the lines and went back with a synthetic DOT4 just because DOT5 can sometimes be such a pain in the arse.

I Zip Tied the brake lever back last night and left the cover loose - expect to tap the brake lines/banjo fitting when I get home to get the remaining air.

This isn't my daily ride, so I am not pressed for time.  I need to change the fluids and everything else, so I am not in a hurry.

Still love doing this!  :bananarock:

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »

I Zip Tied the brake lever back last night and left the cover loose - expect to tap the brake lines/banjo fitting when I get home to get the remaining air.

This isn't my daily ride, so I am not pressed for time.  I need to change the fluids and everything else, so I am not in a hurry.

Still love doing this!  :bananarock:

Sean

Maybe, but probably not.  The air that gets in to DOT5 that's been shook up or agitated (even a little) is not air carried along with the fluid.  Not air that might find it's way out by turning a line or a caliper to create a different high spot (for example).  The air that gets in to DOT5 is actually entrained within the fluid.  So it's not a separate bubble to get out.  Letting it set for a day is rarely long enough for the air and the fluid to begin separating if that has happened to it.

If a bottle of fluid has been roughly handled and/or shaken up a bit you can get the air out of the fluid before use but (no, I'm not making this up) putting the fluid in a pan on the stove and heating it up a bit.  I recommend, however, only doing this if you're single and anyone you're dating is not around the kitchen at the time.  If a bottle has been dropped or vigorously shaken for some mistaken or absent minded reason you're just about better off to throw it away and get another.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »

Maybe, but probably not.  The air that gets in to DOT5 that's been shook up or agitated (even a little) is not air carried along with the fluid.  Not air that might find it's way out by turning a line or a caliper to create a different high spot (for example).  The air that gets in to DOT5 is actually entrained within the fluid.  So it's not a separate bubble to get out.  Letting it set for a day is rarely long enough for the air and the fluid to begin separating if that has happened to it.

If a bottle of fluid has been roughly handled and/or shaken up a bit you can get the air out of the fluid before use but (no, I'm not making this up) putting the fluid in a pan on the stove and heating it up a bit.  I recommend, however, only doing this if you're single and anyone you're dating is not around the kitchen at the time.  If a bottle has been dropped or vigorously shaken for some mistaken or absent minded reason you're just about better off to throw it away and get another.

Came home and un zip tied it...not half as bad as it was! 

Had my daughters dance recital rehearsal tonight, no maintenance this evening...more tomorrow.

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »

Had my daughters dance recital rehearsal tonight, no maintenance this evening...more tomorrow.

Sean

Good luck with it Sean.  Just don't piss off the fluid.  That chit will eat hours of your time if you make it angry.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »

Good luck with it Sean.  Just don't piss off the fluid.  That chit will eat hours of your time if you make it angry.

Interesting hypothesis.

Which begs the question.

How does one go about staying on the good side of the fluid ?  :nixweiss:

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »

How does one go about staying on the good side of the fluid ?  :nixweiss:

B B

You sure as hell don't carry it home in Howie's new tour pak!  :huepfenlol2:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »

You sure as hell don't carry it home in Howie's new tour pak!  :huepfenlol2:

Actually Don, that might be a good idea. Howie seems to be pissed off at everything and nothing all at once. It's sort of a permanent state of mind with him. The fluid might see that being pissed off is silly and act more civil

B B

And this has to be at or near my alltime record for the most inane, ridiculous post.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 01:27:21 PM »

Actually Don, that might be a good idea. Howie seems to be pissed off at everything and nothing all at once. It's sort of a permanent state of mind with him. The fluid might see that being pissed off is silly and act more civil

B B

And this has to be at or near my alltime record for the most inane, ridiculous post.

Cool! Something we both can agree on! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »

Cool! Something we both can agree on! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: ;)

Hoist! 8)

Well I think we also agree that you're from NYC which explains a lot  :huepfenlol2:

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »

Well I think we also agree that you're from NYC which explains a lot  :huepfenlol2:

B B

Probably explains more than you think, but nowhere near what it takes to understand me. I yams what I yam and it don't matter from where I yam! They broke the mold thank goodness. And I ain't changin either! I can be the nicest guy in the world, or be the biggest pr**k in the world, all based on how I'm treated first. Not one to start anything, but never one to back away from anything either. Might explain our wrestling matches here. We're probably a lot more alike than you'd like to believe or admit! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »

Sean

That's how my 01 was.  If you held the lever in for a couple of hours, it would feel pretty good for a couple of days to a few weeks.  Then it would be back real mushy.  You could "fairly" easily get the lever to the grip.  Good luck with it, but I'm betting you'll at some point end up replacing everything and the master cylinder will "fix" it.

That's a neat idea for your Dad.  I grew up on a river off the Bay. Used to be a neat area to ride in.  Sounds like the creek is farther south than where I was, so that may not be as crowded.  It's still a good place to ride.  I'm sure he'll appreciate the rides.  Just something neat about a 45.

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 04:35:27 PM »

This is going to sound like the most stupid thing you've ever heard but how I do mine is that I fill the resevoir up and (with the lid off) move the lever back and forth a 1/8 or so and watch the loads of little bubbles comin up from the bottom of resevoir and just keep doin it (might take a while) and you should get a lever :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »

Probably explains more than you think, but nowhere near what it takes to understand me. I yams what I yam and it don't matter from where I yam! They broke the mold thank goodness. And I ain't changin either! I can be the nicest guy in the world, or be the biggest pr**k in the world, all based on how I'm treated first. Not one to start anything, but never one to back away from anything either. Might explain our wrestling matches here. We're probably a lot more alike than you'd like to believe or admit! ;)

Hoist! 8)

B B

Dammit guys.  When is enough going to be enough?  I enjoy the hell out of both of you.  Call you both friends.  And mean it in far more then the internet sense of a couple of geeks that type at each other now and again. 

You both make me laugh.  I'd trust either of you protecting Parker if for some reason I couldn't.  And I'd stand with either one of you.  But if you can't or choose not to get along then just leave each other the hell alone.  It's not amusing.  It ought to be embarassing.  But, most of all, damn it is boring.  And it sure as hell ain't recreation.

This silly site is a playground.  Nothing more.  You've each got friends here.  People you actually do enjoy sharing thoughts, ideas, banter or real life time with.  So why waste your efforts bitching back and forth with those you don't when you can have a good time with those you do?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »

Dammit guys.  When is enough going to be enough?  I enjoy the hell out of both of you.  Call you both friends.  And mean it in far more then the internet sense of a couple of geeks that type at each other now and again. 

You both make me laugh.  I'd trust either of you protecting Parker if for some reason I couldn't.  And I'd stand with either one of you.  But if you can't or choose not to get along then just leave each other the hell alone.  It's not amusing.  It ought to be embarassing.  But, most of all, damn it is boring.  And it sure as hell ain't recreation.

This silly site is a playground.  Nothing more.  You've each got friends here.  People you actually do enjoy sharing thoughts, ideas, banter or real life time with.  So why waste your efforts bitching back and forth with those you don't when you can have a good time with those you do?

Excellent suggestion Don. And Lord knows I've been trying that approach for quite sometime. I've ignored the BS as much as possible. Like I said, I start with no one. But when enough's enough, it's enough. If only one party goes about their business, but the other continues to throw things at the other, well what do you expect. I will stand up for myself as long as I'm alive. Site or no site. Many warnings have been given to knock it off. I can only comply on my end. I'm not responsible for the other end. And this isn't singling anyone out. It goes for those that know who they are that cause this repeatedly. Do unto others...and expect to be treated the way you treat people! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »

Excellent suggestion Don. And Lord knows I've been trying that approach for quite sometime. I've ignored the BS as much as possible. Like I said, I start with no one. But when enough's enough, it's enough. If only one party goes about their business, but the other continues to throw things at the other, well what do you expect. I will stand up for myself as long as I'm alive. Site or no site. Many warnings have been given to knock it off. I can only comply on my end. I'm not responsible for the other end. And this isn't singling anyone out. It goes for those that know who they are that cause this repeatedly. Do unto others...and expect to be treated the way you treat people! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Gotta love it when people find themselves in loud agreement (rather then disagreement).

So Howie is in.  Brian, I know you'd rather spend your time playing with those you enjoy too.  Willing to let bygones be bygones and just leave each other the hell alone too?  Please?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »

Gotta love it when people find themselves in loud agreement (rather then disagreement).

So Howie is in.  Brian, I know you'd rather spend your time playing with those you enjoy too.  Willing to let bygones be bygones and just leave each other the hell alone too?  Please?

I'm in but please don't single Brian out. He's the least of the problem (although I must admit that's gotten a little better too. But it's still there, sometimes underlying, and mostly in fork-ed tongue)! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 05:09:30 PM by Hoist! »

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »

Raising my hands over my head and singing...

Kum...Ba....Ya
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 05:13:06 PM »

I'm in but please don't single Brian out. He's the least of the problem (although I must admit that's gotten a little better too. But it's still there, sometimes underlying, and mostly in fork-ed tongue)! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Merely speaking to the moment. Also willing to trust the character of everyone enough that you and Big B leading by example will help with the entire choir.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 09:39:58 AM »

That's how my 01 was.  If you held the lever in for a couple of hours, it would feel pretty good for a couple of days to a few weeks.  Then it would be back real mushy.  You could "fairly" easily get the lever to the grip.  Good luck with it, but I'm betting you'll at some point end up replacing everything and the master cylinder will "fix" it.

That's a neat idea for your Dad.  I grew up on a river off the Bay. Used to be a neat area to ride in.  Sounds like the creek is farther south than where I was, so that may not be as crowded.  It's still a good place to ride.  I'm sure he'll appreciate the rides.  Just something neat about a 45.

It's not mushy...  Its that it catches like an inch or inch and a half off the grip.  I have plenty of pad - like 5mm or more so it isn't that.

When it hits, its HARD - just seems like there is a ton of play...  I have nothing to compare it to - so how far does your lever come back before the brakes engage?

Sean

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »

Sean,
I don't think mine comes back that far, but I haven't truly paid attention to them since the 01.  All the newer one's have had so much better brakes, I haven't worried about them.  IF I can remember (and that's a big IF! ), I'll look at them this evening.  I would say that since it hits hard when it does, it's just some machining tolerances allowing the lever to come back more than others.  I'm not sure I'd sweat it, since it's solid once there.  My 01 never was solid.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 21 queries.