Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?  (Read 8751 times)

Sean M Cary

Re: Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 09:39:58 AM »

That's how my 01 was.  If you held the lever in for a couple of hours, it would feel pretty good for a couple of days to a few weeks.  Then it would be back real mushy.  You could "fairly" easily get the lever to the grip.  Good luck with it, but I'm betting you'll at some point end up replacing everything and the master cylinder will "fix" it.

That's a neat idea for your Dad.  I grew up on a river off the Bay. Used to be a neat area to ride in.  Sounds like the creek is farther south than where I was, so that may not be as crowded.  It's still a good place to ride.  I'm sure he'll appreciate the rides.  Just something neat about a 45.

It's not mushy...  Its that it catches like an inch or inch and a half off the grip.  I have plenty of pad - like 5mm or more so it isn't that.

When it hits, its HARD - just seems like there is a ton of play...  I have nothing to compare it to - so how far does your lever come back before the brakes engage?

Sean

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »

Sean,
I don't think mine comes back that far, but I haven't truly paid attention to them since the 01.  All the newer one's have had so much better brakes, I haven't worried about them.  IF I can remember (and that's a big IF! ), I'll look at them this evening.  I would say that since it hits hard when it does, it's just some machining tolerances allowing the lever to come back more than others.  I'm not sure I'd sweat it, since it's solid once there.  My 01 never was solid.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.