Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glide-Pro Stabilizer  (Read 9979 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Glide-Pro Stabilizer
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:10:43 AM »

The last time the 05 was at Jim's shop we noticed that the rear end had a lot of play.  Wanting a better handling bike but not wanting to sacrifice a comfortable ride, I decided on the Glide-Pro Stabilizing System even though I felt that it was expensive for what you get in the kit.  Two bushings, 2 nuts, and an axle goes for $390 but since I got it through Jim I got the CVO discount.  Yesterday I took the bike over to Jim's again and we did the install.  It was a very straightforward job and it went smoothly. 

Between last night and today, I've put about 100 (mostly 80-90 MPH highway) miles on the bike.  I have to say that I'm definitely very happy.  All of the slop is gone, and the bike tracks beautifully!  Hitting a bump while cornering used to move the bike around and you had to make corrections.  Now it just stays on track.  Very solid, secure feel to the suspension, and very little, if any, increase in vibration.

If I still feel this good about it after another couple of hundred highway and twisty miles, Jim will be ordering another one for me so the Pumpkin has it as well (the only downside of having 2 CVO's is that you get to buy everything twice).
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Glide-Pro Stabilizer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:40:21 AM »

Ernie, was it an axle or a fork shaft that was part of the kit? 

I know it's a hard comparison to make.  It's great the part is so much of an improvement over how the bike had gotten.  Are you able to make a comparison of the improvement against the bike before the bushings wore?

And lastly, what/how does this widget do different?  The red bike is in the 40k mile range and still seems straight in the rear.  But the bushings have to start giving up someday.

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:00:13 AM »

I had the glide-pro installed a few weeks ago, The bike felt very solid. But I have it in the shop right now for front end vibs. I'll post more later after i find out what is causing my problems.......... Also what did you end up paying for it.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 11:09:09 AM »

Ernie, was it an axle or a fork shaft that was part of the kit? 

I know it's a hard comparison to make.  It's great the part is so much of an improvement over how the bike had gotten.  Are you able to make a comparison of the improvement against the bike before the bushings wore?

And lastly, what/how does this widget do different?  The red bike is in the 40k mile range and still seems straight in the rear.  But the bushings have to start giving up someday.

It came with a new swingarm shaft www.glide-pro.com/purchase/

It's hard to say since it's been so long since the cherry was fairly new (have 48K miles on it).  The cherry always handled better than the pumpkin so I can't really compare it to that either.  What I like about this one is that it keeps the rubber mounted properties versus bolting a plate to the transmission case.  It is a shaft and bushings that go inside of the existing swingarm bushings, keeping the drivetrain isolated from the frame.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:10:38 AM »

I had the glide-pro installed a few weeks ago, The bike felt very solid. But I have it in the shop right now for front end vibs. I'll post more later after i find out what is causing my problems.......... Also what did you end up paying for it.

I bought it through HD-Dudes shop, Metal Dragon.  Jim gives a discount for CVOHarley members.  PM him or call his shop for pricing.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:35:22 PM »

So is it safe to say that the cherry now handles better than it did when we were riding across Utah and Nevada a couple of years ago?   :huepfenlol2:  Terrie will be happy to hear that, now she can quit worrying about you. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:38:15 AM »

So is it safe to say that the cherry now handles better than it did when we were riding across Utah and Nevada a couple of years ago?   :huepfenlol2:  Terrie will be happy to hear that, now she can quit worrying about you. :2vrolijk_21:

Other than the worn back tire, loose neck bearings, lost front wheel weights, and the broken motor mount it handled great!  A picture from just after getting home from that trip.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:06:02 AM »

Other than the worn back tire, loose neck bearings, lost front wheel weights, and the broken motor mount it handled great!  A picture from just after getting home from that trip.

Ernie, I noticed the claw hammer on the floor in the picture.  Nice touch!
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »

That's nothing you should see the "BFH" that is cropped out of the picture. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 21 queries.