Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Works Performance Street Tracker shocks on a SERK4  (Read 7596 times)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Works Performance Street Tracker shocks on a SERK4
« on: May 01, 2009, 01:02:42 AM »

I've been unhappy with the stock shocks on my SERK4 for sometime. They tend to bottom out a great deal, particularly when I'm riding two up. If tried varied the amount of air pressure attempting to find the magic number but to no avail. Additionally, the left shock develops a leak a time or two.

I've looked into the Progressive 440, the Works Street Trackers and the Bitubo. Each has it's strong points and weaknesses.

I've ridden on Progressive 440's. Better than stock. Still bottomed some and rode a little harsh to me. I like the lifetime warranty.

The Bitubo's have a cult like following. However, they seem to complicated to me for my use. Too many adjustment for different set ups. And the price is just too steep for me.

I talked with several Works shocks owners. All are very happy with the product. Many had been Progressive 440 users in the past. They are priced in between the Progressives and the Bitubo. The company will work with you to get them right and after 50,000 miles will rebuild them for $60.00. And they're made in the USA.

I ordered the Street Trackers in chrome with black springs and their Billet Adjustable Rate Suspension.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:19:29 AM by Black Diamond »

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Works Performance Street Tracker shocks
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:06:08 AM »

I've only put a 75 miles on them but I like them so far. I rode over many familiar roads. I know where I've bottomed in the past. The Street Trackers did not bottom out at all. The ride was much smoother. However, this made the front end really show it's weaknesses.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:10:38 AM »

I haven't tried out the Billet Adjustable Rate Suspension (BARS) but it looks simple to use. That pretty well describes me to a T. They are very well made and seem of very good quality. Besides, it would be boring to just buy Bitubos.  :D

I'm sure the +$150.00 difference I saved will be spent on something else for her. I'll post more when I ring em out, like during the E S trip.

JW

www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 01:13:08 AM »

BTW  When you change your shocks to a slightly longer size, don't forget to re-adjust your headlight. Makes for an interesting ride home.  :o ??? ::)

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Works Performance Street Tracker shocks on a SERK4
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:41:21 PM »

I have a couple of hundred miles on these shocks now. All types of road conditions. Rain and clear. All has been solo to date.

On several areas I've always braced for the impact, I was pleasantly surprise. I did not bottom out or feel myself bounce off the seat. The shocks did their job very well. I am sure part of this can be attributed to the shocks being the 13" version recommend by Tom @ Works. However the bike was raised just over 1/2" after the shocks were mounted. But it sure feels like the shocks have a much greater area of travel. I have not bottomed them yet.

The scooter corners and takes curves much more aggrressively without the mushy/floating response I felt in the past.

However, I am now certain I made the right decision to follow the faithful in having the AK-20's installed May 28th. The forks are terrible.

So far I'm completely happy with the Works Street Trackers.  :biggthumpup:

JW
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:45:08 PM by Black Diamond »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:19:03 AM »

Interesting.

I have never used works on the street, however all I have every used on my racing Banshee's are works shocks and just love them.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:13:18 AM »

Just got back from the E S trip. I have several thousand miles on the shock. I am satisfied with my choice.
I am not one to tinker too much before a long trip. Check the fluids, lights and air pressure and let's go.

With the Works I just move the BARS cap to the notch I need to set the preload. I found this quick, simple and effective. The stiffest notch works with the tour pak and bags stuffed and my lady on the back. After dropping the gear in the room, I move the cap down to the next notch (slightly less preload) for two up riding. All I have to do is tilt the bags out, make the adjustment and put the pins back in to hold the bags in place. Very simple.

Cheryl notice the difference immediatedly. When I forget to make the adjustment before we leave, I just pull over, tilt the bags out, turn the cap, pins in and go. Very quick and simple. I'm sold on them. No bottoming out. Not bouncy. She rides great.

The guys at the Works will also make any adjustment to the shock until your happy with them. Mine were great right out of the box. 

The two biggest reasons I went with the Works shocks over the Bitubos: price and ease of adjustment.   :2vrolijk_21:

JW

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 09:21:29 AM »

I like them. I've got bitubos on three bikes.  If I had it to do over, I would probably buy these, simply for the ease of adjustment.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »

Hey Ken

It was good to meet ya. When I come down on the 26th, I'll bounce a call to ya. You can take her for a spin and check em out.
I'm still trying to figure out if I can still make it to CHL?

JW

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »

Hey Ken

It was good to meet ya. When I come down on the 26th, I'll bounce a call to ya. You can take her for a spin and check em out.
I'm still trying to figure out if I can still make it to CHL?

JW

Come on down! I'm just about to leave. Nashville tonight, cho tommorow. Everything I own with an engine will be there cept the john Deere. Truck, v-rod, ultra, and the glide! LOL
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

08serkrider

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:26:43 PM »

I too have been looking at the Works Shocks, but they were recommending the Steel Tracker to me.  Is there a reason you went with the Street Tracker?  And I agree about the ease of use compared to what seems to be an overly complicated ritual with the Bitubo's.  This is especially true since my wife and I ride two up 65%-70% of the time.   Why did you end up going with the 13" length as opposed to keeping the 12" length that is stock on the SERK?  Did you notice any significant increase in the seat height of the bike?  The reason I'm asking is that I have a 30" inseam, and I really like being able to have my feet flat on the ground when I come to stop, which I can do with the current stock set up. 

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 11:24:07 PM »

I too have been looking at the Works Shocks, but they were recommending the Steel Tracker to me.  Is there a reason you went with the Street Tracker?  And I agree about the ease of use compared to what seems to be an overly complicated ritual with the Bitubo's.  This is especially true since my wife and I ride two up 65%-70% of the time.   Why did you end up going with the 13" length as opposed to keeping the 12" length that is stock on the SERK?  Did you notice any significant increase in the seat height of the bike?  The reason I'm asking is that I have a 30" inseam, and I really like being able to have my feet flat on the ground when I come to stop, which I can do with the current stock set up. 

I talked with Tom Edison @ Works Performance. I looked what they had to offer and liked the looks of the Street Tracker over the Steel Tracker.

I went with the 13" shocks as it add just under 3/4" to the seat height. I have a 29" inseam and can still get flat footed. I also put floor board extenders on my SERK so the 13" shocks let me keep my lean angles. I've been happy with these shocks since putting them on. Had em adjust for two up when my lady and I went to Eureka Springs. Rode great. Set it up for solo with the tour pak mounted for a trip to Greensboro, N.C. Rode great that way too. Just adjust the BARS cap, simple.

When I do finally get around to getting the AK 20 installed, I will test some Bitubos just to see what all the fuss is about.  :D Never had the opportunity to try them yet.

JW

08serkrider

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »

Thanks BD, it's good hear that you too are vertically challenged like me and can still sit flat-footed having gone to the 13".  I like the idea of having the extra travel in the shocks that the 13's will provide.  It should result in a little bit better ride.  I don't have floorboard extenders, so lean angle isn't an issue, at least not yet.  I never thought I needed them until I saw how many people seem to have them.  There goes another 100 bucks.  ;D  In addition to having the king tour pac like you, I also added Harley hard-sided fiberglass saddle bags.  The Tour Pac is removable, but it stays on 90% of the time.  I noticed you said you needed to detach the saddle bags and "lean them out" in order to reach the ARS.  Is that because the leather bags open inward as opposed to the outward style of the hard-side bags?  It's no big deal either way.  I like buying American whenever I can, so that's another plus for the Works shocks.  I look forward to hearing your review of the AK-20's after you have them installed and have a few miles on them.  Forget about trying the Bitubo's unless you're prepared to part with $800 to put them on should you find you like them.  Otherwise, you'll just regret having bought the Works and will always be wishing you had the Bitubo's every time you're out for a ride.  At this point I attribute the discussion on shocks as being similar to discussions between audiophiles.  It doesn't matter how sensitive your ears are (or you butt).  The reality is 99% of the people can't really hear (or feel) the difference anymore.  They just think they can.  Research, and then buy what you feel is the best product for your riding style.  Like you, I prefer to spend more time on the road, riding the twisties, than back and forth to the garage trying to get the absolutely best setting on a pair of shocks.  Life is too short as it is, as is the riding season here in Colorado.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »

Thanks BD, it's good hear that you too are vertically challenged like me and can still sit flat-footed having gone to the 13".  I like the idea of having the extra travel in the shocks that the 13's will provide.  It should result in a little bit better ride.  I don't have floorboard extenders, so lean angle isn't an issue, at least not yet.  I never thought I needed them until I saw how many people seem to have them.  There goes another 100 bucks.  ;D  In addition to having the king tour pac like you, I also added Harley hard-sided fiberglass saddle bags.  The Tour Pac is removable, but it stays on 90% of the time.  I noticed you said you needed to detach the saddle bags and "lean them out" in order to reach the ARS.  Is that because the leather bags open inward as opposed to the outward style of the hard-side bags?  It's no big deal either way.  I like buying American whenever I can, so that's another plus for the Works shocks.  I look forward to hearing your review of the AK-20's after you have them installed and have a few miles on them.  Forget about trying the Bitubo's unless you're prepared to part with $800 to put them on should you find you like them.  Otherwise, you'll just regret having bought the Works and will always be wishing you had the Bitubo's every time you're out for a ride.  At this point I attribute the discussion on shocks as being similar to discussions between audiophiles.  It doesn't matter how sensitive your ears are (or you butt).  The reality is 99% of the people can't really hear (or feel) the difference anymore.  They just think they can.  Research, and then buy what you feel is the best product for your riding style.  Like you, I prefer to spend more time on the road, riding the twisties, than back and forth to the garage trying to get the absolutely best setting on a pair of shocks.  Life is too short as it is, as is the riding season here in Colorado.

You have to lean em out to get your hand around the BARS cap. No big deal, not much effort in that.

The Bitubos would have to kiss me on the lips and tell me they love me to get me to replace the Works shocks. I'm not one of those that feels I have to have the best when the difference between em is extremely minor. I rode over 600 miles last Tuesday including the Dragon. The shock performed great. Worst rodes I rode on were in southern Illinois. I only noticed the front end is in need of help. The rear end was good to go!

JW

Brinks

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 SERK Annie
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 03:18:45 AM »

Black Diamond, great write up, can you tell us what your total weight is riding two up? :nixweiss:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.