Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Works performance shocks  (Read 7364 times)

doubledown

• 2009 SERG Orange/Black
Works performance shocks
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »

I just installed a set of Works performance shocks on my 09 SERG, and I cannot believe the difference! I was never happy with the ride of the stock shocks, it was jarring to say the least, hit a decent size bump and it would try and launch you! The wife has a bad back and the ride was making it worse, so I changed the seat to a mustang thats about 6" thick, it was better but not great. So i called Works performance and told them what i was looking for, me the wife and two full bags is 400 pounds, plus i wanted a 13" shock instead of the factory 12". It took less than five minutes for them to get all my info and figure out what would work best for me. I put them on after work today, then headed for the roads I normally avoid to see the difference and my words here will never do it justice, its hard too believe how bad that bike rode compared to what it is now! Glad I took the plunge!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:08:34 PM by doubledown »
Fullsac x-pipe
2" power cores
tts master tuner
Fullsac map
30T primary
Works Perf.shocks
if it aint broke fix it till it is!

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Works performance shocks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:07 PM »

Got any contact info, pic's etc. and why 13's. How tall are you?

doubledown

• 2009 SERG Orange/Black
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »

pkl, im 6' 230 with a 34 inseam. I went with the taller shock for cornering clearence, and a little more travel. Im function over form. Here is the website

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html
Fullsac x-pipe
2" power cores
tts master tuner
Fullsac map
30T primary
Works Perf.shocks
if it aint broke fix it till it is!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »

I just installed a set of Works performance shocks on my 09 SERG, and I cannot believe the difference! I was never happy with the ride of the stock shocks, it was jarring to say the least, hit a decent size bump and it would try and launch you! The wife has a bad back and the ride was making it worse, so I changed the seat to a mustang thats about 6" thick, it was better but not great. So i called Works performance and told them what i was looking for, me the wife and two full bags is 400 pounds, plus i wanted a 13" shock instead of the factory 12". It took less than five minutes for them to get all my info and figure out what would work best for me. I put them on after work today, then headed for the roads I normally avoid to see the difference and my words here will never do it justice, its hard too believe how bad that bike rode compared to what it is now! Glad I took the plunge!

Just hit the road, I have the same shocks on my Limited, pulling a 450 lb. trailer, 2-up. Nice ride, isn't it?
I could not be happier!
Their customer service was great, I was at their factory to get my pre-load set properly.
I will buy again. :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

illw84u

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »

The contact person for Works Shocks is : tom@worksperformance.com

09fltrse3110

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »

doubledown

can you tell me if you went for the ars option? if you did is it worth it or not. if you didnt why not. were there anyother options you went for. also how much did going to a 13" shock change your ride height. thanks ride safe
NEVER ARGUE WITH A MORON. THEY LOWER YOU TO THIER LEVEL AND THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:54:41 PM »

doubledown

can you tell me if you went for the ars option? if you did is it worth it or not. if you didnt why not. were there anyother options you went for. also how much did going to a 13" shock change your ride height. thanks ride safe

FYI:
I have the 13" shocks with the ARS option.
Review: Just got back from a 5200 mile trip, pulling a 450lb trailer, 2-up, loaded.
I have the shocks set to the last step with this load, worked wonderful!
I use the lower settings when solo, or lighter loads, etc. etc. Nice to be able to adjust with no tools depending on the load.
I have to say the shocks worked well, no bottoming, nice smooth ride, BSR would tense up as before over rail-road crossings, ride was smooth all the way, no complaints.
I'll call Works to give them the same report....they wanted to know the results of our little "test drive" with the custom setup they built for me.
Two thumbs up!
 :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:15:19 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »

I too am very happy with mine. No bottoming out anymore. Loaded and 2-up we're pushing 500-550 lbs.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:14:30 PM »

For me, it's not about whether the bike bottoms out on bumps, cause they all do. It's the ride over bumps, even little ones on the road that make a nice ride or a long hard ride at the end of the day. I didn't really see the pricing for FLHX mosdels. I wonder how the ride of these compare to the best Progressives or Bitubos? Do you get a better ride on a 13" shock vs. 12"?

Luigi

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:47:18 AM »

Just saw the post on Progressive. I installed 440's on my 09 SERG the heavy duty model. Pull a Bushtec Roadstar. Still have issues with bottom out and harsh ride. Also have installed their Mono shock front end. Went with the 13 inch rear and standard front to gain more height. Now if I can figure out the right set of handle bars factory too short for my reach.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »

FWIW-Here's my Works story.  I originally put these 13" Steeltrackers with dual rate springs and ARS option on my 2005 SEEG (about one month before trading to the 10)..  I thought it rode well.

Went on a 5100 mile trip this summer with my daughter and Bushtec trailer.  From the end of the 1st day, my daughter kept telling me how bad the Corbin seat hurt her bottom.  Ride to me wasn't that bad but noticed I was starting to look thru the top of the windshield where I had looked over.  Got home, put the air shocks back on while my shocks were at Works and actually rode well so I knew there was a problem with the Works.

Then this thread came along touting how good they were.  PM'd HogMike, started taking measurements for sag again and had about 2" difference between the swing arm hanging fully extended to just me sitting on the bike.  Called Work's and they stated you wanted 1" to 1.5" of sag or approximately 1/3 of the shock travel.

I was within 2 weeks of having the shocks 1 year.  Spoke with Tim and he said to send back and they would look at them.  They rebuilt the shocks, added an adjustable threaded preload collar (see picture), and a new adjustable wrench for the preload (picture 2)..  All of this N/C to me other than the shipping out and about a month total down time (but had my old shocks) to use.

I can now adjust ride height so that I have 1.25" of SAG and the bike rides really well.  Do not buy these shocks without the threaded preload adjuster unless you live close to Works.

Thanks for the people in this thread and to Work's.  If they last many years trouble free, I will be happy.  How they compare to the Ohlins or Bitubos I don't know.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:24:02 PM by Boatman »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 07:35:33 PM »

Here is the added preload adjuster they recently added-black star.  Even after I got them back, I had to turn the screw nut down an additional 1/4" to raise the back of the bike 1/4" and get the 1.25" sag..

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 07:37:20 PM »

They didn't originally send this nice spanner wrench but I waited another week to get it and worked  quite well.  Much better than trying to use channel locks.

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »

I had a set of Works Street Trackers on my '07 FLHTC for 40K, and on my '05 Ultra for probably 20K before that.  When I traded the '07 I decided to leave the Works shocks on it, what a mistake!  I wish I had them back.  Fantastic shocks.

Now I'm running a set of Progressive 940s, very happy with them too, but they are no better than the Works shocks.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »

I have Works Trackers on the 08 SERK and Ricors on the 02 SERK. The Works shocks are better.

After 3000 miles with the Ricors, I have to choice between some bottoming out or a very firm ride. I have tried every adjustment Ricor has advised me to make. It's a compromise situation regardless.

I have 10000 miles on the Works. Unless I drop into one heck of a pot hole, I do not bottom out and the ride is firm but forgiving. I will be swapping the Ricors for Works on the 02 SERK.

JW

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 09:18:36 AM »

Here is the added preload adjuster they recently added-black star.  Even after I got them back, I had to turn the screw nut down an additional 1/4" to raise the back of the bike 1/4" and get the 1.25" sag..

:2vrolijk_21:
I'm happy the shocks are working out for you. I just may have to get the preload adjuster, but, come to think of it, I rarely do anything to the shocks unless I take the trailer!
One of my other FLH's has the Progressives, and I really don't notice much of a difference between the two shocks except the Works will not bottom out as the Progressives will with a heavy load. Lighter loads, no problems.
JMHO
HOGMIKE

mikebehr00

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 10:54:34 AM »

I still have not seen a price on the Work's shocks. They sound conparable in performance to Progressives. Are they in the same price range?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »

I still have not seen a price on the Work's shocks. They sound conparable in performance to Progressives. Are they in the same price range?

Check here:
http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

Or here:
http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/app_guide/harley.pdf

Best bet is to give them a call. They custom build the shock to you and your bike.

Cost is close to Progressives depending on options.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »

Tell them you are a forum member and they will give you 10% off.

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »

I called them today just to talk and get info.  What a great guy to talk to.  Ended up ordering a set.  Gave him my credit card number.  He told me it would take 2-3 weeks to get to my set to build them and that he would not charge my card till he ships them.. Just show what a class act they are.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.