Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: wheel wobble still  (Read 6057 times)

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
Re: wheel wobble still
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 12:12:43 AM »

That's definitely a lot of weights. One option I often try when I have a tire that wants alot of weights is break it back down and rotate 180 on the rim, then re balance. Usually it takes half the weights.
I recently also just ran into a bad front tire. It was so out of round I couldn't get the low speed wobble out. It would balance out, but had too much lateral run out on the left side of the tire. Thus handle bar wobble at slow speed.
I read where someone mentioned the dot lining up with the valve stem. I know dunlop recommends this, but I have found that it is not necessary. Dunlop claims the dot is the lightest point of the tire, thus this is where they want the valve stem. I have to argue with the dot theory. 

Bob McMahon
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »

That's definitely a lot of weights. One option I often try when I have a tire that wants alot of weights is break it back down and rotate 180 on the rim, then re balance. Usually it takes half the weights.
I recently also just ran into a bad front tire. It was so out of round I couldn't get the low speed wobble out. It would balance out, but had too much lateral run out on the left side of the tire. Thus handle bar wobble at slow speed.
I read where someone mentioned the dot lining up with the valve stem. I know dunlop recommends this, but I have found that it is not necessary. Dunlop claims the dot is the lightest point of the tire, thus this is where they want the valve stem. I have to argue with the dot theory. 

Bob McMahon

Bob, the "dot" theory works just fine IF the lightest spot of the tire is actually at the dot, and IF the heavy point of the rim is actually at the valve stem.  I think the problem comes when the wheels aren't balanced properly during manufacture, so that even after adding the stem the heavy spot isn't at the stem.  And of course, the tire manufacturer's have been known to screw up the location of the dots as well.

In the auto plant I used to work at, both the tire and the rim were required to come to us with little bright yellow stickers attached to signify the heavy spot/light spot, and the automated mounting equipment indexed the tire to the wheel such that the decals lined up.  When we instituted that system, the number of balance weights used dropped significantly as did the number of balance related complaints from the field.  One thing that I noted more than once over the years was that the decal on the rims didn't always correspond to the valve stem.  I think one of the mistakes with the "dot" theory as applied to motorcycles is the assumption that the stem is automatically the heavy spot of the rim.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »

Bob, the "dot" theory works just fine IF the lightest spot of the tire is actually at the dot, and IF the heavy point of the rim is actually at the valve stem.  I think the problem comes when the wheels aren't balanced properly during manufacture, so that even after adding the stem the heavy spot isn't at the stem.  And of course, the tire manufacturer's have been known to screw up the location of the dots as well.

In the auto plant I used to work at, both the tire and the rim were required to come to us with little bright yellow stickers attached to signify the heavy spot/light spot, and the automated mounting equipment indexed the tire to the wheel such that the decals lined up.  When we instituted that system, the number of balance weights used dropped significantly as did the number of balance related complaints from the field.  One thing that I noted more than once over the years was that the decal on the rims didn't always correspond to the valve stem.  I think one of the mistakes with the "dot" theory as applied to motorcycles is the assumption that the stem is automatically the heavy spot of the rim.

Jerry

I agree with you 100%. I usually alway line the dot up first, but if I find it needs a lot of weight, I bust off the bead and rotate 180 and usually find this helps.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »

Thanks for all the info,Going to make another appt,next week and have them check it out again

mandm1

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »

trahog, what did you find out at your last dealer appointment? I hope they took care of you ...

Mike

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 05:54:38 PM »

It's better,put the half ounce weights on this time so looks alot better also only 3 on each side instead of 7 quarter ounce ones.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 06:53:32 PM »

Way too much weight, I agree on rotating the tire and trying again
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

motosman1

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »

just a little FYI on this wheel balance issue. I am a "seasoned" tech and work with a BUNCH of kids 2 yrs. or less out of school. Many with NO previous mechanical experience and regretably lacking fundamental mechanical apptitude. Some of them lacking even decent grades in the basic cirriculum, simply recruited by MMI or ATI reps trying to fill seats at the campus. Sooooooo.... taking from the "Factory Authorized and supplied" service manual for 2011 Touring models, which is what these "kids" refer to;
     "Static balancing using WHEEL TRUING STAND (part No. HD-99500-80) will provide satisfactory results for normal 
      highway speeds. Dynamic balancing can produce better results for high speed operation but is not typically
      required."

"The maximum weight permissible to accomplish balance is 3.5 oz. (99.2g) (total weight applied to the rim). If more
      than 3.5 oz. of is required to accomplish balance, rotate the tire 180 degrees on the rim and again balance the
      assembly. Wheels should be balanced to within 0.5 oz (14g)."

I guess my point is to not be so quick to discredit the tech for merely doing his job, "by the book". I mean, come on. Who out ther really beleives that 0.012" runout on a TC pinionshaft is acceptable. Check the manual!  Also Harley has gone greeen and the new weights are no longer made from LEAD-some kind of "pot metal", I guess.It now takes more pieces to equal the previous weight. If asked by the customer to rotate the tire to acheive balance with fewer weights , I will oblige. Many is the time I have done something out of my way only to have no one notice or care if brought to their attention. Sometimes it is a matter of "product of environment". Sad but true. I highly recommend talking to other riders and the techs of your local dealership and seeking out that one tech that knows his s**t and cares about the bike/customer relationship. Establish a good raport with him/her, take care of him/her when he/she takes care of you and specify yhat only that tech is to ever work on your bike. I know that techs like that (me) can be hard to find but they (we) are definitely worth seeking out.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.