Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 21 Inch Wheels  (Read 7476 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: 21 Inch Wheels
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »

With the new frame, the choices of tires are "better" because of the extra width allowed at the swingarm.  With the old frame, a 150 is about as wide as you can go without doing things to shoehorn a 160 in.  From those I know that have done a 160, it didn't work out too well in the long run.  I also know a couple of folks who had a 21" on their touring bikes and ended up back with a 19".  The 19" is a good compromise between looks and performance, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about those... :huepfenlol2:

I went through what you're going through when I put new wheels on my '06 SEUC.  At that time, there was NOTHING in an 18" rear that even came close to the stock 16" rating, so I ended up with a 16" rear and an 18" front, with Metzlers on both ends.  Looks like now they've got the 18" 150 at least rated up close enough to the stocker that I wouldn't be real concerned about it...77H and 76H are pretty damn close.  It's tough to decide what to do when you're looking at spending some big bucks on wheels, rotors, pulley, etc.  Then you need a flush mount front axle, better calipers...it never ends.  I ended up with a chit load of money tied up in my '06...PM wheels, Pulley, PM calipers, Matching floating rotors on front, standard matching on the rear, Tires, axle, new rear brake line.  It looked good when completed though, and it stopped a hell of a lot better (stock bikes didn't have Brembos back then).  I got it all through HogPro and was very happy with their customer service and helpful advice.

That's another thought:  Perhaps the new frame design distributes the weight differently front/rear.   :nixweiss:  Doesn't make sense though...can't see there being that much difference in weight distribution just in a frame design.  Not trying to get you off track here, but the Dunlops on my '11 SERGU handle really well thus far, and seem to hold up well from what I'm reading.  Also, I've heard good things about the Avon tires, but have not looked at their offerings for your bike.  I really liked the Metzlers on my '06, other than the fact that the rear wore fairly quickly with my riding style.  Great handling though.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »

A special thanks to all who have supplied information on this thread. You are all right and the cost of the upgrade makes it something I would not want to do two times on this bike.  Taking into consideration all of the input provided, my final decision is to go with the P.M. Contrast Platinum Cut Huligan wheels with a 19" front and 18" rear and stay with the Metzler tires, matching P.M. 2 piece rotors and at this time my stock brakes which are chrome with LRB pads. If anyone has any reason or thought which may change my mind before I pull the trigger this week-end, I would welcome the input.....

Craig

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »

We're waiting for the pictures! ;)

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »

:worthless:   good choice on tire/wheel sizes, especially if touring  and not just a bar  :drink:hopper!
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 10:04:36 PM »

Wheels are still on order will post as soon as they arrive and get installed...Sorry

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34:03 PM »

a friend of mine put 21 front and 18 rear on his SG and dosn't like it he had lowered the rear and it scraped 2 up so had to take off the lowering kit and he feels the input from the front is very harsh with the lower profile tire
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »

Thanks for the input, the one thing I do not need is to decrease the handling potential of the bike after spending cash to upgrade the suspension

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »

I have the 21" on the front and a 17" 200 on the rear and couldn't be happier with this set up. Personally the stock 16 or 18" wheels were a bit quicky if you will. The 21's took that away and to me the look is awesome. I have put 15,000 miles on mine with this set up.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »

This is a picture of the new wheels on my scooter. The wheels are manufactured for HogPro by Colorado Custom. HopPro was great during the installation process and went above and beyond what a normal vendor would too make this happen. The rotors have been polished to match the wheels, I run Metzler front and back and the  balance was with Dyna beads.  I would recommend HogPro to anyone who wants great wheels at a fair price with outstanding service

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »

Looks real nice  :2vrolijk_21:

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »

We want more pictures! Please! ;)
The result is outstanding! What size did you finally choose for the front/rear wheels?

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »

Also I would like to know if is the bike is different to ride with?

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

Just wondering if you have run dyna beads before ?? If so , is there any kind of wear on the inside of the tire after prolonged use ..
??
the 21" looks good .. shoulda lost that xtra rotor to show more of the wheel .. LOL mod on .. :2vrolijk_21:

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »

Here is an additional picture of the new wheels on my scooter. The front is a 19 inch and the rear a 18. I am running a 120 series Metzler on the front as they do not make a 130 series for a 19 inch rim and a 150 series Metzler on the rear. i did not change the rotor and pulley on the rear tire as they do not show. That may come in the future should I have a bunch of cash I just don't have any other use for.   I know Dunlop makes a 130 series for a 19 inch rim but the don't make a 150 series in the same tire for the rear. For some reason I don't like to mix tires on my scooter.  I have never ran Dyna Beads before so I can not answer any questions about performance or wear but at this time I do  not have any complaints on the balance or performance of the wheel/tire combination. Additionally, I do not notice much difference in the way the bike sits or the height of the tire/rim combination.  There is a bit of difference in the way the bike handles but not enough to write home to mom about.   
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.