Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front wheel bearing failure  (Read 12523 times)

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Front wheel bearing failure
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »

I found this interesting from another forum which may need some attention.

I copied this post from another forum to share with those who may not know about this. I just found out myself that I have one these bearing going bad in the front of my 08 Roadglide trike.

The '09, '10 and '11 right front wheel bearing on ABS touring bikes have issues. The '12's have the new "A" bearing

Seems the manufacturer of these bearings had a bad batch... well, that's what the grapevine is saying...

The bad batch must have been their entire production if it spread through three years of Harley's.

The right front wheel bearing will do a few things to clue you in that it needs replacing.

1. Grinding noise that will get worse as you ride. (Don't confuse this with the brake pad noise)
2. Howl when going around corners as the load shifts on the wheel shaft. (this will sound like a wolf howling at the moon)
3. "CLUNK" as you accel and decel. (Kiss-o-death, stop, cool them off and limp home)
4. Overheat and seize which may take your axle with it. (Don't worry about cooling them off, ET phone home)

Without obvious indicators it is doubtful Harley will warranty this so I simply took my front wheel off and had my dealer install new bearings. Was $100 bucks out the door. Taking the front wheel off is very easy but you need to lift the front end off the floor far enough to slide the wheel out from the fender.

Always replace both bearings even if suspect only one is bad... this is a must!

9252 -The ABS side (left) 25mm ID/18mm WD ($29.95)
9276A - The right side which goes bad. The "A" supersedes the old part number. 25mm, Deep Groove ($20.80)

Half hour shop labor to press them out and in.

Additional info about this, If you want to replace the non-ABS bearing with a Timken bearing you need to buy this bearing for replacement >> Timken 205PP

I found a guy selling 2 of them for $15 each with free shipping on Ebay.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Front wheel bearing failure
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »

Had the same happen to me on my 08 Fatboy at 6000klms although it could have gone earlier.
Think back now, when I tensioned the belt on the previous service I notice the tension adjustment bolts on the swing arm measured different to one another even though I use the swing arm pivot bolt centres as the reference point on belt tension I measure the adjustment bolts for a wear check.
"I am now thinking bearings have been faulty from day one".

No grinding sound just found it on a random check I do now and then, wheel had a bit of end play that was out of spec.

Mine was the rear wheel bearing on drive belt side.

Put the engineering cap on and inspected the failed bearing only to find there was no bearing race, just balls floating round, bearing on opposite side was OK.
Bearing race was metal and not plastic as I thought it would have been when there was no evidence of mashed metal from the race.

BIG question is was there a bearing race there in the first place.

Purchased wheel bearing puller and replace both rear and front bearings with revision A bearings to be on the safe side.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »

My 09 went out at 45,000 miles.
Bill

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »

I replaced both front bearings on mine at 17,400 miles on my dime when the front and rear tires were replaced by me.  One front bearing turned rough.  Had been noticing a slight howl on curves but figured it was the cupped rear tire.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:00:30 AM »

Good advice, Big Dog. A friend of mine with a 2010 SESG just had to replace his front wheel bearings at what I have always considered LOW miles - around 10K - when his front wheel bearings started howling. It was the left bearing that went bad. Back in the Evo days, this was unheard of.

He was told that there was a "bad batch" of bearings in the 2010 models. The dealer replaced the bearings at a low shop rate, but still... the manual says to inspect the bearings and replace them at .002" or more end play side-to-side.... but they should last at that tolerance for many more than 10K miles. These "bad batches" of bearings are a more than a little suspect to me... sounds more like a systemic design defect lasting over multiple years to me. Wouldn't be the first time, nor likely the last. Take heed!

Glad I have a 2012 SESG... seems like a good number of things have been figured out and fixed on the 2012s. But there's always something else lurking out there...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »

I had both front wheel bearing on the 09 Ultra throwing grease out of the seals onto the rotors at 16k.  HD replaced both sides under warranty.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Bigjim1661

• Can you curl a harley?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »

We have seen several 09 and up rear failures, even failure after replacement...no idea how this could be getting through to us! But then again, a totally flawed flywheel design has been force fed to us for almost 13 years!

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:24 AM »

The rear ABS bearing went bad at 37,000. Replaced both front and rear. Might also look at the rubber vibration absorbers on between the rear wheel and sprocket. Replaced mine at the same time. Don't know if that was the right term but they were worn also.

GreatGazoo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:03:34 PM »

Thank you for the thread....my 09 has a ton of grease coming out of the seals in the front and it is a pain to remove everytime I clean it. Replacing the tires so I will check the bearings and follow up

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »

I took my 09 SG in because of the cupped tire issue on the front at 8,000 miles. (I think?) When the mechanic pulled the wheel for the upgraded tire replacement, he siad the bearings didn't feel right and replaced them under warrenty. I had no idea they were bad.

jb

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »

Just replaced mine on my own dime, the right front was bad....30,000 miles. :thumbsdown:

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:15 PM »

Big dog, how's it going, eh?

Your post cought my eye, we're in Florida on GAHD's spring trip & Marcel had to have his replaced today.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.