Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Tire cupping  (Read 7589 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: Tire cupping
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »

I think tire wear will occur period but is influenced but many factors one of which is driving style. Spinning the rear on takeoff can use one in a hurry. I just got back from a trip to the Hill country of Texas and the road surfaces seemed pretty rough. I can't imagine that is good for tires. The uneven wear of cupping is the main issue of the thread and even if we can explain it I doubt it will go away.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »

As I mentioned earlier I would be ecstatic if my rear tire started to cup at 10,000 miles.  I have never had a rear Dunlop go close to that distance, even when badly cupped.  Their are a number of factors that affect wear and some that affect cupping.  If Jerry is right and I would bet anything that he is do you really think that Dunlop will be in a hurry to improve a tire that is an exclusive item?  It does not matter to them how long they last because you will most likely buy another set of Dunlop's.  They are in a win - win situation and we just have to pony up.  Now if there was some serious completion for our tire sizes, that would most likely have them look into the cupping issue.   I stopped doing burnouts years ago but I'm sure little bits of rubber are lost while going through the gears regardless of road conditions.  We just can't expect a round tire to stay in it's original shape when our roads are in such poor conditions.  Everyone here has to have noticed that the road conditions are not being addressed as they once were.   You can do a search for tire cupping and it is also a big issue with Goldwing's, BMW's etc.  we are not alone.

By the time they have this fixed I'll be wondering about the tires on my wheelchair!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »

Can't remember the last time i did a burnout on my own bike.  :drink:  I tend to ride somewhat aggressive and get her up to speed on occasion. I do use engine braking a bit. I get 10k er so with my 08 FLTR using avon venoms 140/90/16. My CVO rear tires wear out before they get a chance to cup, 8k and there done. Maybe it's that 24 hundred dollar suspension I have on it.  :orange:

I do attribute the location I live has allot to do with my mileage. The rear squares off because of the long flat roads. It takes me a day er two to get my twisty legs back when needed.

Ride often

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »

I had Dunlop on phone yesterday about the D407 specifically. They commented if I was confident about tire pressure and suspension being good and tire was still cupping I needed to slow down. The leading edge is gripping and forces being applied will lead to cupping. In other words the tire is doing it’s job. I ask about an alternative to the proprietary D407, they said a 180/55/18 has been discussed in the american elite series but nothing official. Low numbers of this tire size compared to others. I suspect an email campaign is needed to get their attention.

Ride On

TN

My 407 on rear now has less than 6k and is cupping. The last couple of road trips there was definitely some spirited riding.  :drink:
the elite 3 bias I run on front has my confidence and is wearing good, different tread pattern. I have had cupping issues with the 408F.

srnoyes

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »

What kind of crap is that....slow down! Not like you are racing; you're cruising. What is the speed rating on the tires?
2014 CVO Limited - Present
2009 Road King Classic 2009-2014
1991 Yamaha Virago 1991-1993
1983 Yamaha Maxim 1983-1989

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »

What kind of crap is that....slow down! Not like you are racing; you're cruising. What is the speed rating on the tires?

That's what you call Pure Crap.  And the BS about the leading edge gripping is more Pure Crap.  All tires leading edges grip, but not all tires cup.  The old D402's didn't cup, even at high miles, like the D407's do.  Car tires also have leading edges that grip, and yet I've never had tires on my four wheeled vehicles cup.  Dunflop is FOS, I'm pretty sure they know they are FOS, and I'm also sure they aren't going to fix this problem since they haven't done squat in a half dozen years years now.  And btw, I've read several complaints from guys with other brands of bikes running the Multi-Tread Dunlop tires that also claim they have had severe and early cupping.

Dunflop is very much like H-D, screw something up and then ignore the problem or lie when directly questioned (never heard of that, for instance).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 01:32:43 AM »

The speed rating for the 407 is H, dunlop refers you back to the owners manual for it but H is 130 mph with other manufactures. I haven’t looked for that info in my manual, yet. While I have hit triple digits on my serg I don’t maintain high speeds for too long. Riding a thousand pound slug thru the twisties, how hard can you push it?  If it wasn’t for rain we’d all run slicks. I’ll get it sorted out one day.
BTW I run avon venoms 140-90-16 rear, on my other bike which is an 08 FLTR  and I get 10k on rear and 20k on the front riding the same way with zero cupping.

I had to leave a message for Dunlop and was surprised they returned it so promptly. The gent I spoke with was with customer relations and wasn't too interested in talking until I threw the safety word in.

Ride Often

TN

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »

My rear started cupping at about 4500 to 5000, and now at 8800 is pretty loud when I just lean a little. Lean a little more and it gets really loud. Like you all, I still have plenty of tread left. I'll probably just go ahead and replace tires at the 10k service.

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »

2014 Limited with 9300 on the clock and very little if any cupping yet but the roar while turning is getting worse. The tires look and feel pretty good but I am unsure wether I want to change them out just because of the noise? On the Fatbob the tires wear much more and the cupping is very visible when it happen but there is not near as much noise. What he heck is going on?

Disclaimer- I live in the twisties and I will not slow down.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »

Wait till you replace the tire and finds out how loud the tire is and how much better they handle when new. I don't think a tire should be bad with 10,000 miles left for tread wear and just because it cups you have to replace the tire. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »

Anyone on this forum from Avon????

Please start producing a 19 inch front tire for our CVO bikes!

Ran Avon Venoms for last 14 years and totally satisfied.

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »

I just read this thread and wanted to throw this in. I have never had a tire cup on me in over 120k miles on both a softail (99) and a touring frame (07), Have always used ME880's and about 13k ago a Elite 3 on the 07 rear, both bikes were hopped up with the 07 at 124 hp, and I do push to the limits when riding, the Elite 3 is over 50% tread left.
What I want to mention is I noticed what has been mentioned is everything has been changed or alignment made, but no one has said they changed their shocks or fork internals.
From the get go HD suspension sux period, one thing I know from the auto industry is one of the major causes of tire cupping is too soft or worn out shocks which causes the tires to dribble down the road like a basketball, throw in all the variables and that compounds the issue. Also once a tire starts to cup no matter how slight it gets worse and there is nothing you can do to stop it or slow it down. The same principles apply to the front forks, the most overlooked and untouched item as far as maintenance or a tuning upgrade, I see so many people with 50-60k miles and never changed the fork oil or they go the life of the bike without changing oil (rare but there out there).
Maybe a good suspension tuning upgrade to at least Racetech system or go with Ohlins would be a wise investment, and keep in mind air pressure and load balance is a major key to tire longevity.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »

donvito,

You bring up many valid points, but since this tire cupping issue has been brought up numerous times many of us have elected to not write another paragraph of modifications we have made.  If you decide to do a search on this site you will find a number of us that have made numerous suspension upgrades.  I would bet that all the improvements you listed have been tried numerous times by members on this site.  I personal have the Traxxion AK-20's since the bike was new in 08 and I have sent them back every 20,000 miles for rebuilding.  I also went to the Bitubo shocks.  I went from the factory lowered 12" to the 13" shocks.  I have installed two sets of Bitubo's on the same bike.  It now has 80,000 miles.  I also installed the Baker Plus1 oil pan with the True Track made for it.  Swingarm bushings changed a few times, now running the Glide Pro.  I guess what I'm getting at is many of us like yourself are aware of the inferior stock suspension have made modifications to our bikes for a better ride.  I have installed nothing new since the tire cupping started in the rear, never had rear tire cupping prior to 40,000 miles.  I have to think that Dunlop is the real reason we are dealing with this.   I tried the Metzlers but they didn't hold up any better & as Jerry has stated many tire sizes are not available due to weight ratings.  I don't disagree with anything you posted, but I still see the problem is with the proprietary tire that is made for our bikes.   

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »

Cupping?  Up here in West "By God", we call 'em high speed flat spots.   When I see 'em, I go buy New Dunlops.  Don't do burnouts, but will keep it twisted at every opportunity.  Look for them regular as a duck goes barefooted, but realize their comin' when she starts a little biddie wobble in the rear at about 115.   8)  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.