CVO Technical > Cleaning/Detailing

Cleaning the inside of the headlight...

<< < (2/2)

joejoebobo:
I know this is an old thread... I tried poring alcohol in as suggested above and it gave my reflective backing within the headlamp a horrible white film. Did anyone else get this?

T-Hawk:
Sorry to hear what happened with your experience... mine are still dry and shiny.

And, it seems since I did it the first time... I haven't had to repeat the process.

J.D.:
Cut clean pieces of an old white t-shirt.  Throw them in with the solvent.  Plug the lamp hole with a rag.  Agitate for awhile and remove.  Blow remaining solvent dry with filtered air.  Cut some strips of a terry cloth and insert.  Shake these around pretty good for a good while.  They'll pickup any residue.

joejoebobo:
All good T-Hawk... I think I just over did it and left the alcohol in there a little too long. I read up on the effects of cleaning plastics with alcohol and the chances on leaving the white film behind. it only showed up while blowing out the housing with the air compressor and then got much worse once it completely dried.

It took almost all day, but I was able to clear everything out and looking brand new again. I added equal parts Simple Green and water in the housing and taped the holes so there were no air bubbles and placed it in a bowl filled with water so none of the solution would leak. I left it to sit on the counter for half the day and shook it up for a bit before ringing it out... dissolved all the haze and left it shiny again - thank God.

If I were to do it again, I think it would have been better (in my case) to add equal parts vinegar and water then rinse it out. Or just use very little alcohol and blow it out rather quickly.

Bobman:
Used small pieces of microfiber rags, cut to size plastic dryer strap, duck tape and F-11. Tape the microfiber to the end of the dryer strap. Spray a small amount F-11 to the microfiber. Access in the back of the light and work the dryer strap around all the edges. Of course had to remove the faring so you could access the back of the light. Guaranteed unbelievable results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version